5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Woman's Shoes
Published on 20 Jun 2004 by Angela

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but not a great read
The first time I read this book, I really couldn't put it down. However, I re-read it again recently and it just didn't stand up the second time around.

Basic plotline: Martha- happily(ish) married- husband leaves her. Martha then discovers when she meete new love Jack that she is infact a yummy mummy.

Sister Eliza- fed up with mucky boyfriend- gets...
Published on 7 April 2007 by Bezerus Bezby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Woman's Shoes, 20 Jun 2004
Angela (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
I have not long finished reading "The Other Woman's Shoes" and thought it was Adele Parks' best yet. As with all her books I was rationing the last couple of chapters, as I didn't want it to end! The long legged, gorgeous shoed cover gives a real sense of glamour and sophistication to the characters in the book. "The Other Woman's Shoes" depicts the love lives of sisters Martha and Eliza so well that it was easy to relate, and in a strange way, aspire to.
With the little twists of fate in the story line, Martha realises the reality of married life, children and the dream home she has longed for since she was a little girl, just isn't living up to her dreams. Adele creates a journey in which Martha finds her true character. Could the man in her life live up to her new expectations?
Eliza, on the other hand, finds her single lifestyle with no real commitments, is not actually what she longs for. Or is the source of her happiness, right under her nose and she just can't see it? I found myself routing for both women to make the right decisions.
The 2 stories of Martha and Eliza run along side each other and highlights that as much as sisters may think they know each other inside out, what makes them tick etc, there is still room to surprise each other.
For me "The Other Woman's Shoes" is about finding happiness that sets the characters free, releasing the sexy, fun, and loving women they really are.
An ideal book to take on holiday and I have to admit by the end I was moved to tears more than once! There are also many instances that I was laughing out loud and it is a book that generally made me smile. Superb! I am looking forward to Adele's next masterpiece "Still thinking of you".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
This is possibly my favourte book that I have read in years. I was so moved by the heartfelt description of getting over a major break up. The characters are frighteningly realistic, I thought the author had been following me! The plot has the necessary twists and turns to keep you interested. If you have ever loved and lost, or even just loved buy this book. It's going to be big, move over Bridget Jones, this is a book for grown up girls!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but not a great read, 7 April 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)

Sister Eliza- fed up with mucky boyfriend- gets shot of him to look for a rich banker type with a decent pension plan.

The two sisters are likable. As a mother it's good to read a realistic account of what it can be really like to care for small children in a world that isn't always that tolerant of them.

BUT, the thing that I found so off putting this time was Jack, Martha's new lover. I mean, would any woman really find it a turn on that he wants to add you to his list of "naked friends" God I know it is the twenty first century and all that but does anyone else agree that that is just a no go? I just wanted Martha to tell him to get stuffed. If it was a choice between Michael (estranged husband) and Jack (faithless saddo maybe should have a chest rug and gold medallion) I think I would choose a night in with a good dvd!

Other then that, there is no denying that it is a good read and I do enjoy Park's quirky writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars How very refreshing - you can find yourself in the book!, 20 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
A fantastic, very well written and very refreshing book. Ideal for summer holiday, or winter evenings - certainly worth your while! Would recommend to all women in the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!!, 8 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
I absoloutely loved this book. It had the perfect mixture of love, hate and lust. Martha was a wonderful character who you couldn't help but like, even at the beginning through her "doormat" phase I warmed to her.
Unlike some of Adele Parks other books, this one kept you wondering right until the very last page what was going to happen and who the two sisters would actually end up with.
I would totally recommend this book to anybody, it was a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Oct 2003
Claire, Lulu "Lulu" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
I have just read the reviews for this book and i think that they are very unfair! I am not normally one to go for this sort of book but i found it hilarious, refreshing, light hearted and above all really good! So what if its predictable or a little sloppy in places. I am normally a thriller fan and therefore shunned this book when someone bought me it recently however for a change i thought id give it a go and i found i actually liked it. The story being that two sisters lives whom are completely the opposite of one anothers are suddenly swapped and each sister takes on another role. It is enlightening and is very much true in many places! For all those who have ever been dumped this will make you laugh! It is as though Adele Parks has followed every woman around after being dumped because I know that I saw myself in both Eliza And Martha! And Im sure others will agree! It is not a book of mystery nor a book of intrigue but it is a relaxing comfortable book that you dont have to think about just enjoy!
I love this and give it a big thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing read, 13 Jun 2004
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
In this book, Adele Parks has created characters that aren't at all like me but are a joy to read about.
What I really loved about this novel is that it didn't go down the route that so many other books about the end of a relationship do and have Martha meet lots of hideous men before she meets Mr Right. The author is brave enough to try something different and to stick to her guns all the way through. Everything that the main characters did was in keeping with the way they have were introduced to us at the beginning of the story.
On top of that, you were kept guessing right to the last page and I haven't read a tale with such a satisfying ending in ages. All I can say is, anyone who berated this book must have read something different to me, because I really enjoyed myself from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great survival story, 17 Jun 2004
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I felt very much part of the story and couldn't stop reading -- out of concern for Martha.
In the end I was so relieved, that she took the right turn in life and still stayed true to herself.
This is a great survival story about a woman who discovers herself again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adele Parks: Other Womens Shoes, 23 Oct 2008
Ms. A. M. Salomoni (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
The book is very well written and gives you a good taste of married life and a true reflection of having children. Untill her husband decides to leave her then disaster strikes!
What i do admire about this book is how well its in touch with our feelings towards love ones. Its about a married couple who split up due to the husband playing away. Martha and Micheal have always had a solid marriage and Micheal starts to loose interest. He makes the decision that he will leave his wife. Martha is distraught and finds it hard to cope with her two children. The books shows the real emotion of anger, guilt, desperation and true strength. Martha has a sister who lives the opposite sort of life to her and both sisters envy each other. But is swapping and changing ourselfs the right way to do it ? The books shows that we are what we are and no point in changing if we are happy ? Martha's sister Eliza is funky, daring and outgoing. They work together to help Martha get through traumatic times and find peace with herself and hectic lifestyle. This book is combined with emotion, truth and laughter which makes it a fantastic read! I was sad to read the last page!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !, 31 Dec 2005
Deborah Gradon (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Woman's Shoes (Paperback)
If you want to run through the range of emotions that life has to offer then read this book. No matter what stage your female development is at single, engaged, married, mother etc, this book will appeal. Every woman/girl will identify with this book. I both laughed and cried. Loved every page and was left wanting more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Other Woman's Shoes
The Other Woman's Shoes by Adele Parks (Paperback - 15 Aug 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01