5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering, Moving, made me laugh and cry

Published on 14 Feb. 2007 by Kris Dove

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering, Moving, made me laugh and cry, 9 April 2002
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
I'm a really big fan of Adele Parks' work, she had entertained me with Playing Away, Game Over and now Larger Than Life. All three tales are very different and tackle different subjects (which is a rairity for City Girl Lit). She somehow manages to combine humour and heartache with just the right hint of romance to make you want her characters to come out on top. I think this is her most sophisticated novel yet. Not wanting to give the end away, I can tell you that it is startling. I'm recommending it to all my friends

2.0 out of 5 stars great contraceptive, 14 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
Don't read this if you're pregnant or trying for a baby, it'll put you completely off the idea altogether! Or even while you're eating for that matter. It's written in the first person through the eyes of a whinging pregnant woman who seems to vomit on every other page when she isn't complaining of her dramatic weight gain and the lack of understanding from her boyfriend.

The main character aside, as there is at least some depth to her, the other characters are very cliched, particularly her glamorous mother, male chauvinist boyfriend and desperate singleton best mate.

I was very disappointed by this book as I usually enjoy Adele Parks' witty chicklit novels, but I found this one to be utterly depressing and poorly written, perhaps struggling to meet a publisher's deadline.

4.0 out of 5 stars George grows up, 8 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I think the other reviews are somewhat unfair. George, the main character, although somewhat delusional and selfish at first, is very realistic. I liked watching her evolve into a somewhat nicer person and become more independent and strong. Adele's writing is witty and sharp and I loved the portayal of the advertising industry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 25 July 2003
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
I really empathised with the main character in this book, George. She wasn't super-confident and did make a few mistakes along the way (don't we all) but I thought the way she grew (not just her belly, ha ha) but in confidence and sensitivity was really well written and handled. Besides I loved the plot. I work in advertising and thought Parks had captured the essence of the industry beautifully. I'm going to read her other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Larger than chick lit!, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
Whenever I feel the need for some serious chick lit in my life Adele Parks novels are almost always one of my first port of calls after discovering young wives tales several years ago. The thing I love most about her novels is the way she isn't afraid to take a perfectly contented character and completely change the path of their life, however heartbreaking it is for the character and reader.

Larger than life tells the story of Gerorgina aged 32 who since the age of 18 has been completely in love with Hugh despite the fact that in between them meeting and now he married one of her friends and had two childen with her. Everything about Georginas life has been centred around Hugh, her career choices, how much she weighs, who she socialises with, the music she listens to etc. Now Hugh has finally left his wife and moved in with her, Georgina unexpectantly discovers she is pregnant, at first Hugh seems pleased but his actions reveal something entirely different as the pair get closer to becoming parents.

What I absolutely loved about this book was the complete evolution of Georgina as a character and person. In the beginning of the book Georgina starts off pretty sarcastic and smug, she thinks she has it all figured out now that she is with Hugh. As her pregnancy progreses and Hugh's behaviour deteriorates all her vunerability as a person comes out and she begins to challenge everything about her lifestyle and relationship with Hugh.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone but the ending really did make me emotional because I felt like Georgina had shown real courage and a massive strength of character to make some life changing decisions.

If you are looking for some chick lit with a gritty story and a few twists then don't miss this.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite :), 19 July 2012
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
I first heard of Adele Parks a few years ago when a book company dropped off some books at my work place and I started giving this one a cheeky read during my lunch hour. I ended up buying this book and all the others that I could find and have kept up to date with the releses.

ALthough I own this book in paperback I though I would reivew on the digital verision as well as the paperback. This is one of the few books that I can read again and again and is still the one I pick up to re-read when I have no other book on the go.

This book is the story of George ( Georgina) and Hugh, a very sucessful couple who live and work in london. Their lives get turned upside down when George becomes pregnant. Initially I did not warm to George and found her (sorry) almost pathetic in the quest for hugh I think this may have been intentional because as the story progresses I found myself really liking for her and cheering her on (obviously not out loud). I found myself reading this book a few tims during my pregnancy as I found I related to Georges problems and progress.

This is my favourite of Adele Parks 's books and my most read book I own.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson on life, 26 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
This book managed to take me through a whole spectrum of feelings towards the main character George. Amazement, that any woman would totally re-create herself just to get a man. Dislike, that she could treat a supposed friend so badly. Happiness, that she could change her feelings towards her pregnancy. Pity, that she was the only one who couldn't see that Hugh would do the same to her one day. Joy, that she finally woke up to what Hugh was really like. A great read that shows that even those who get what they deserve can be nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars haha, true 2 life, 20 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
really really enjoyed this book, it was easy to read and true to life. i sympathised with george's character and felt her pain at always being the other woman who was pregnant. bit of a random review i know but if you want something fun and simple to read on the bus or in a lunch hour then pick this, i finished it in half a day!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 3 April 2002
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
This is an enjoyable read about a woman who becomes pregnant by mistake with her soon-to-be divorced partner. She is not 100% happy about being pregnant and the book charts her struggle on a month by month basis with her body, her partner and her growing acceptance of the growing baby. I found the characters (almost) believable and, in parts, realistic - a good book for to relax with on the tube home.

3.0 out of 5 stars For God's sake, stand up to him!!, 21 July 2009
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
I read this book fairly quickly, and while I did enjoy the general story, there were times when I wanted to scream with frustration.
We follow the life of Georgina (George), who falls pregnant to her boyfriend Hugh. He left his wife and children for her and is less than pleased about the news.
Hugh treats Gerogina disgustingly, but she does absolutely nothing about it. For example, when Hugh and Henry (a friend) are talking outside, George hears Hugh say 'she's piling on weight and she used to have the most amazing tits but now they are fast beginning to resemble cows' udders, decorsted with veins and stretch marks that look like the tube map' but she just walks away and goes to bed. The next morning it's forgotten! She lets women down! I kept thinking she'd stand up to him, but she never does. Even the ending is pathetic and such a letdown.
Worth a read but not the best Parks book I've read (try Husbands instead).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Larger Than Life
Larger Than Life by Adele Parks (Paperback - 4 April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01