5.0 out of 5 stars Love and courage go hand in hand in these two novellas
Published on 6 Jun 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, this book is a booklet!
Although a wonderful story I was completely disappointed to receive a flimsy booklet with no spine, which was bent in the middle, it isn't a proper book and I would not have purchased it if that had been clear to me.

The Small Miracle is my favourite story of all time and reduced me to tears as a child every time my mother read it to me, I wanted to replace it...
Published on 18 Dec 2009 by katie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and courage go hand in hand in these two novellas, 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Pulizer-Prize winning Paul Gallico is, alas, almost forgotten today; many of his wonderful stories, including the classics "The Man Who Was Magic" and "The Hand of Mary Constable" are out of print. But "The Snow Goose" has endured, and it is arguably his greatest work. Cutting across ages, generations and paradigms, it portrays the inner beauty of Philip Rhayader, a man grotesque in appearance yet filled with the deepest compassion for all beings in distress, whether a wounded bird or wounded soldiers. The love triangle between Rhayader, the goose, and the child-woman Frith is unequalled in literature.
The Small Miracle, the other novella in this book, is about love and courage of a very different sort. In this, a young boy takes on the rigid rules of the Catholic Church in his bid to take his dear dying donkey - his only true friend in the world - to the crypt of St Francis so that she may yet be healed.
A must buy - before this also joins other Gallico works in the out-of-print category in an age which no longer seems to value simplicity in writing and prefers passions of the flesh to those of the heart and the mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and valuable story, 23 May 2001
This review is from: The Snow Goose; And The Small Miracle (Essential Penguin) (Paperback)
I found this book by the sleeve notes from the progressive rock album by Camel. I had always enjoyed the music but never knew the story behind the album.
The book is the story of a man and his relationship with others. He overcomes all the disadvantages of his life to prove that courage and bravery are not the sole territory of the few.
Read this book because it has an emotional impact that is rare in this day and age. If you are an ageing progressive rocker, this book will give real meaning to a seminal work of the era.
I only wish that I had read this work as a teenager and taken to heart the values and emotions that are in this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snow Goose legend, 1 Dec 2009
This really is a lovely short story that can be read and appreciated by kids and grown up kids as well. Probably one of the best short stories of its kind. Recommended to all with a sentimental streak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two classic stories, 2 Oct 2009
S. Whittaker (London) - See all my reviews
Both The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle are unforgettable stories which I would recommend to anybody who enjoys good literature. I first read them myself many years ago when a teenager but bought a copy through Amazon recently as I wanted to re-read and to share them with my fifteen-year-old daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tiny book - but it packs a huge emotional punch!, 11 Jun 2010
I had two customers come into our bookshop asking for this book in the last week or so - a frequent occurrence when something has been recently featured on the radio. The second customer, a sweet little old lady, fell into a tone of deep reverence and told me it was 'lovely, just lovely - I knew I needed to have a copy!' Well, happily for me, I did have a copy, so I searched it out and read it straight away!

The back of my edition says 'The Snow Goose' is 'a beautiful tale of a hunchbacked artist, a girl, a wounded bird and a courageous act at Dunkirk.' It being a short story, there really isn't much I can add to that without ruining it. All I CAN say is that my customer was right - it IS lovely. From the first page it resounded with poetry and bravery, deep sadness and a profound love and respect for the natural world. By the end I was in tears and absolutely certain that this book wouldn't be leaving my shelves any time soon.

The second story, 'The Small Miracle', is a modern fable about a poor orphaned Italian boy, Pepino, and his quest to save his best friend and only remaining family, his beloved donkey Violetta. She is very sick, and his only chance is to get her into the crypt of his local church at Assisi for St. Francis to heal her. Again, it's a very moving story - orphan boy, sick donkey, here come the tears again! - and it's woven through with an appealing atmosphere of innocence and faith.

For me, the first story will be unforgettable; the second story less so, but still far surpassing every other short story I have ever read, at least as far as my memory serves! Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure, 26 Jan 2007
Vicky Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
My Dad handed me a very old copy of this book to read a few years ago and I recently re discovered it's brilliance.

It is a beautiful short story that is written in such a captivating way that it would be hard to stop reading till you get to the end in just one sitting.

I would recommend this to anyone who appreciates the beauty of description and emotion a book can sometimes offer a reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, gripping, and deeply moving., 3 Oct 2001
By A Customer
What an incredible book. Beauifuuly written and incredibly moving, I read this book within a matter of hours, and finished with tears streaming down my face. It is one of those incredibly powerful books, which you are actually sad to finish because it was so enjoyable to read. I would definitely recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Gallico The Snow Goose, 26 May 2010
C. Woodward (cheshire england) - See all my reviews
I have had this book for quite a while only reading it this week. It is an extraordinary and moving story of a gentle but disfigured man alone but for his birds and a young girl. I would love to see this story filmed,but it would need great sensitivity or it would fail for lack of understanding and sincerity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Goose, 8 Aug 2010
A very quick read but thoroughly enjoyable. Had been recommended it by a friend and eventually got round to ordering it. Poignant and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 28 Jun 2010
J. D. Davies "JanetD" (Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my 12 year old daughter as it was the anniversary of Dunkirk. A timeless classic which always makes me cry. I used this as an English text when I was teaching 30 years ago and all classes loved it and often bought their own copies and the audio tape.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Snow Goose; And The Small Miracle (Essential Penguin)
The Snow Goose; And The Small Miracle (Essential Penguin) by Paul Gallico (Paperback - 22 Feb 2001)