4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing
There are two ways to read this novel...
But as an insight into the potential of the novel form and where it might be going, and as a writer's read, it's well worth your time.
Evaristo's influence on the...
Published on 13 July 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars In Response to Reader from Birmingham!
I am currently reading this book, and was considering putting it down, which I hate doing! So I thought I would come to Amazon to read any reviews to see if anyone had the same feelings that I am having!!
I agree with Birmingham Reader's statement....
Published on 7 Feb 2006 by NuBQ

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 13 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Soul Tourists (Paperback)
There are two ways to read this novel...
Evaristo's influence on the literary scene is greater than her sales figures would seem to indicate. It seems though as if she's destined to be the pioneer who never quite gets the recognition she deserves.
The problem for me was that the 'modern day' sections read baldly - flat, and indistinct, hardly like Evaristo at all - without the rich playfulness that marks the best of her writing.
The 'fantasy' sections showed all the learning, imagination and guts of Emperor's Babe but without the soul and joyfulness. Her heart didn't seem quite in it.
If you're looking for a successor to Emperor's Babe I'd say Kat Pomfret's Paradise Jazz with it's jazz lyrics, and that sassy, sexy kind of style that Evaristo was doing years ago, is nearer the mark than this. Or Luke Sutherland's Venus as a Boy for those who like the weird, almost mystical quality of Evaristo's writing at its best. Soul Tourists is a disappointing read for an early Evaristo fan, in some respects, but a tantalising one too and will give you much food for thought.

1.0 out of 5 stars In Response to Reader from Birmingham!, 7 Feb 2006
This review is from: Soul Tourists (Paperback)
I agree with Birmingham Reader's statement....
"As a straightforward read, it's confusing, disorientating and less than satisfying. Switches in time and level of reality make the reader's job difficult."
One minute I'm reading about a meeting of two different people who are about to embark on a roadtrip adventure, then the story goes back in time, which is very confusing, as I do not see the relevance to the story. I felt like skipping the 'historical' segues to keep to the current story, but then wondered that I might indeed miss something that might be linked to the full story. So that's what led me to Amazon!
I also wasn't impressed on page 4 of this book. I have seen the odd typo in a book, which can be forgivable, but 'draw' which should be spelt 'drawer', when referring to a box-shaped container without a top which is part of a piece of furniture, that slides in and out to open and close and is used for keeping things in.
This is my 1st Evaristo book, and Birmingham Reader's quoted comments below has actually made me wonder if I can still get a refund! There is no intrigue for me.
"Soul Tourists is a disappointing read for an early Evaristo fan, in some respects, but a tantalising one too and will give you much food for thought"
Mitch Albom's 'Tuesday's with Morrie' will give you a feast for thought, trust me!

Soul Tourists
Soul Tourists by Bernardine Evaristo (Paperback - 6 July 2006)