4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!!
I found this book lying around the office and was bored so read it,and was suprised to find that I LOVED it, it was hilarious - laugh out loud funny, and I would recommend it to anyone as a light hearted quick read.
Published on 28 Feb 2005 by Village Seed

3.0 out of 5 stars fun and funny - could be better
You kind of wish Ms Knight would stop writing snappy little short stories for Cosmopolitan Magazine and write a proper novel. She has the 'girl speak' down and a great sense of humor and if only she would concentrate she could come out with a top class, Brigette Jones style, laugh a minute, chick lit novel and knock the Marion Keynes and the like off their thrones...
Published on 19 May 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!!, 28 Feb 2005
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
True its obvious whats going to happen, but arent all these books? Seriously funny though,this is not my genre at all so I was very suprised when I couldnt put it down.
Read it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sex Bomb, Sex Bomb, She's A Sex (Time) Bomb, 29 July 2003
Mrs. Kerry King (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
Estella de la Croix (Stella) is seriously wondering whether she will ever have sex again! Twice divorced and single mother to the twinkly and adorable toddler, Honey, Stella is a red-hot, half-French sex-(time)bomb, desperately looking for someone with whom she can safely detonate! And being the maturer side of thirty (as opposed to the more immature!), anything goes!
Stella's unorthodox search for someone to scratch her increasing libidinous itch (which in itself include a strange but open account of recreational drug use and the consumption of vast quantities of alcohol) leads to an ill-advised forray between the black satin sheets of an elderly plastic surgeon, so permatanned is he, that he may very well have been Tangoed (not only but also, he is the perpetrator of some seriously buttock-clenching chat up lines that will make you roll about with glee) and later to a liaison with a "World's-Oldest-Teenager" DJ, closer to forty than she is, but more firmly in denial.
The meanderings of the plot are a distraction from the basic humour - surely it should be the other way around? Nevertheless, I bought this book because I loved My Life On A Plate (which had basically no plot at all, but was hurtingly funny and made me cry with laughter, once more on a packed commuter train) and I hoped that Don't You Want Me would be as funny. I was not disappointed.
Stella's rant through gritted teeth as she listens through the walls, once more, to her Lothario lodger (Frank, the ginger-haired artist) getting it on with what surely must be a howler monkey, had me bent double with mirth.
I enjoyed the "story", more so the characters (Stella's father is Great, with a capital "G") and even more so the humour. The chapters that include the Politically Correct nursery "Happy Bunnies" may, whilst reading, require the use of an oxygen tent.
Does our heroine find the Studly Dudley of her dreams? Well if I tell you that, there's really no point in buying it.
Once more and in the same vein as My Life On A Plate, India Knight manages to extract the Michael in a way that we can all relate to; even if the majority of single-mothers who might read this book aren't independently wealthy, swathed in cashmere, living in an airy house in Primrose Hill and able to afford the luxury of lying in bed with a killer hangover whilst the "staff" look after the baby.
If you ask me to sum it up, I would have to say that I love nothing more than an overdose of clever wit, and India Knight provides it in spades.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny easy read!, 16 Jun 2005
K. Wilson "skatz" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
If you read this book as light hearted chick lit and lots of humour then you won't be dissappointed!! I laughed out loud a few times and I am one of those grouchbags that gets annoyed when people laugh hysterically at stupid parts in the cinema!! Its not a book that I must have on my bookshelf but one of those that I quickly passed onto a friend to do the rounds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute gem., 24 Oct 2004
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
After reading 'My life on a plate' and enjoying it very much, I was thrilled to discover India Knights new book 'Don't you want me'.
Personally I think its a fantastic book and a riot from start to finish. I actually prefer it to 'My life on a plate' although that is still in my top ten of favourite books.
This is the book I pick up when I am feeling low and need cheering up or I am worried about something and need to escape. It never fails to have me laughing out loud straight away.
As a not very well off, single mother of two, I can understand why some would find it too convenient for Stella to have a house and money and babysitter on hand, this wasnt a problem for me. It is after all an uplifting story, if I had read about how broke Stella was and how she cried into her pillow on a night from loneliness, it wouldnt be the escapism or funny kind of book I was hoping for.
And although like a lot of readers I guessed the ending, it didnt detract anything from this absolute gem of a novel.
Stella is a real scream. From her blatent honesty, to her fabulous dress sense, to her incredibly bad taste in men, she is the kind of person I would love to be best friends with.
India Knight captures perfectly, things most of us think but would never dare say.
Well worth reading and well worth keeping a copy on hand for those 'feeling low' emergencies'

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, 4 May 2006
foxcylady - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
Funny laugh out loud book, well written easy to read and would highly recommend. I ached with laughing so hard before I had read the first chapter. This lady is seriously funny. If you want intellectual skip it if you funny must read and pass it on.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun and funny - could be better, 19 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
As it is you have in 'Don't you want me' a slightly better than run-o-the mill story, written in the first person about our sexy single mum Stella, her gorgeous man slut lodger and the unbelievable fact that he's just about as wonderful as can be but she can't see it (yes, I know...).
Definitely worth a read if you can get this second hand (and there are a lot of them floating about) but if you want to see the same(ish) story done right, read 'Thirty something' by Lisa Jewell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't You Want More?, 19 Jan 2005
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
This book is meant to be outrageous and funny and of course it talks about sex a lot - it's refreshing to read something that doesn't need action, thrills and adventure to keep its audience interested to the last full stop. This single mother's antics are wonderfully entertaining and I whole heartedly recommend the book to others!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not exactly believable., 9 May 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
I've enjoyed India Knight's writing for quite some time. I used to read her column in the Observer avidly and I bought her first book, My life on a Plate and loved it so much I reread it as soon as I'd finished it, and really did send it to several of my friends.
Therefore I was really looking forward to reading her new novel. Unfortunately I found it disappointing in comparison to her first. Some of it is very funny indeed, especially the main character Estelle's observations on the politically correct London playgroup, and her hilarious sexual encounter with a fake tanned plastic surgeon.
However I couldn't help finding the character somewhat irritating and selfish, and she was much less believable than the main character in My Life on a Plate. Having been a single parent myself for many years, I found the fact that Estelle didn't have to work, lived in a huge house and conveniently had a child minder available whenever she had a hangover made me grit my teeth a bit, not exactly believable!
I also thought the ending was fairly predictable from early on in the book.
So overall I give this four stars, I did enjoy it and parts of it did make me laugh, but if you've never read any of her books before, the first one is a better buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously Disappointing, 25 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
I loved My Life on a Plate but it's hard to believe that this book is written by the same author. Between her odd fascination with excrement and bodily functions the book is a weak plot that barely strings together a number of crude off putting conversations about sex (it may be years before I try it again)that seem more suited to pimple ridden teenage boys than to adults in their thirties.
To top it off the main character just isn't as likeable as her previous one. This woman just seems rather dim witted and ineffectual as opposed to the sympathetic character in Life on a Plate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously funny romantic romp., 7 May 2002
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
Fans of My Life on a Plate will be pleased to learn that Don't You Want Me is even funnier. Stella is not your average single mother - she has a large house in leafy Primrose Hill and no shortage of cash - but she does have a shortage of sex, despite being a half-French glamourpuss. Gnashing her teeth over the noisy shagging of her lodger Frank (whom she doesn't fancy because he's ginger and will therefore have "orang-utan-pubic hair", she sets out to get some. Her first sex in two years is with an ageing plastic surgeon with black silk sheets and an Austin Powers line in bedroom talk....but Stella and the only sane woman at the local playgroup are reduced to discussing which engine they fancy the most in the Thomas the Tank Engine video, so she has to learn how to pull again.
Less sad, more robust than her first novel, this one made me howl with laughter. There are still flaws - the Ali G character Stella tries to hook up with isn't funny, because Ali G has done it already, and the marsupial next door neighbour is too obvious, but the PC nursery scenes and the terrible dinner party are matchless. What I really love is the voice - honest without ever being holier-than-thou, witty without being spiteful, and bang-on (so to speak) about everything to do with sex. She pulverises the wretched whining chick lit crowd, for sure.

Don't You Want Me?
Don't You Want Me? by India Knight (Paperback - 2 May 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01