5.0 out of 5 stars Witty account of a year in a foreign country
A Year in Provence ... Peter Mayle is a master of wit in this book. He seems to effortlessly bring his characters to life with their amusing quirks and behaviours. It is a very witty account of the problems Mayle encountered trying to get settled in the new country - trying to adapt and be accepted. This really is one of my laugh out loud books, and I would recommend it...
Published on 15 Jun. 2003 by Julie

3.0 out of 5 stars Summer read - Provence, South France
This book was first published in 1989 and I've been late getting to it. I read it this summer in the south of France. I was staying in a very quiet rural village - perhaps what the towns in Provence were at the time of Peter Mayle's writing. The book is set out in 12 chapters , one per month. So it covers the full seasons - from cold winter snows, to the mistral winds and...
Published on 8 Aug. 2009 by Molly reads

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely insight into life in Provence, 30 April 2014
I loved this book as I am spending some time in Provence this year and it gave a good indication of the different months and seasons.
It is very well written and I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now on my third copy, 10 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Year in Provence (Paperback)
Being a junior doctor I spend many a long dark night in squallid hospital accomodation. It is at this time my thoughts drift back to my holidays en France. When my memories aren't enough " A Year in Provence" allows me to escape to fondly remembered holidays that are always too short. I dont take this book as an ode to provence but more of a window into french life that keeps me returning again and again. A great book for a cold winter night or the ultimate read on holiday in France.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully-evocative read, 2 July 2012
This review is from: A Year in Provence (Paperback)
A great read. Wonderfully-evocative of warm, sunny places. A real 'escape' from damp Britain and a book you can read over and over again. I also love the DVD, starring John Thaw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 4 Nov. 2014
Didn't get round to reading this when it first came out, but having seen 'A Good Year' on the telly and subsequently read that book, I read this. Now I want to go to Provence!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Year in Provence, 20 May 2014
E. M. Brown - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Year in Provence (Paperback)
An excellent read. Peter Mayle has captured the essence of rural Provence with his descriptions, often hilarious, of the various activities occurring throughout the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A best buy!, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: A Year in Provence (Paperback)
An absolutely fantastic book, superbly written - I can't put it down! Very witty and it is very easy to picturise the characters. I would recommend this book to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars still as funny and touching as ever, 24 Mar. 2015
Despite references to francs over euros, A Year In Provence sounds as idyllic, hilarious and alluring as it did when published. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My own dream!, 12 Jan. 2015
Really enjoyed this book,even though it was with a jealous streak!! You have just completed a year in what a believe to be a fabulous country.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 12 July 2013
It's cute. A bit outdated now with regards to people's behaviour in provence but I love how the author expresses his feelings - very true.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read...., 12 Oct. 2014
Read while in Provence added to our enjoyment as we travelled through the Luberon. Captures the flavour of the region would recommend.

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

A Year in Provence
A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2000)