5.0 out of 5 stars Like coming home again
The thing about Marian Keyes books is that you get so involved that you wake up wanting to read another chapter as if it is a part of YOUR day that is unfolding!!
A welcome return to the Walsh family ( Rachel from Rachel's holiday and Claire from Watermelon) and their cocktail of alcohol dependance, junk food greed and disreputable daughters.Fabulous!!
Maggie...
Published on 25 Oct 2002 by Rachel Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmmmmmmm......
Is Marian losing her touch? She'd better be careful because there are a lot of pretenders to her throne now, Marisa Mackle, Colette Caddle etc. I was a huge fan of Watermelon, Rachel's Holiday and Last Chance Saloon, so much so that I feel like I'm bitching about a friend when I criticise Angels. But if this had been her FIRST book, it wouldn't have done half so well...
Published on 22 Nov 2002 by Susan

5.0 out of 5 stars Like coming home again, 25 Oct 2002
Maggie Walsh , sister of Claire and Rachel, goes through the
" Turning 30/should I be having kids crisis", exacerbated by the fact that no -one will tell her the truth about labour pains ( it hurts believe me!!). Crisis is catalyst for relationship breakdown which in turn is catalyst for her buggering off to L.A.
Maggie's time in LA is interspersed with thoughtful insights into her history and the book swings from past to present in a Wuthering Heights kind of a way, keeping you gripped and wanting to get through the chapters like Penelope Pitstop on speed so you can find out about her past!!
The satirical look at LA is hilarious - wait till you find out about the very latest plastic surgery - quite an image!!
The way that Maggie thinks " To hell with it" and behaves out of character is almost like it's you yourself on holiday thinking " sod it". Marian Keyes lets you know the characters so personally that you experience Maggie's risks and thrills almost first hand. When Maggie wakes up to herself is something we can all identify with, the happy ending is something we all deserve but most of us don't get! Still that's why it's a book and a brilliant one!
When do we get the next book about another wayward sister?

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another Marian Keyes winner!, 27 Sep 2002
This review is from: Angels (Hardcover)
I am an avid reader of Marian Keyes' novels, and received Angels as a birthday gift back in June. In fact, Ms. Keyes was reading from "Angels" in my neighborhood bookstore here in the USA, but I had just had surgery and couldn't attend.
Angels just might be my new favorite Keyes book! I laughed the entire way through the book....but then, before I knew it, I was actually crying while reading along too. Keyes' books are always light-hearted, yet based in reality, and offer some heart-felt poignent moments that have her characters baring their innermost souls. At the same time, Keyes has a wonderful ability to play on the "transplanted" characters, whether they are from Ireland and plopped down smack in the middle of Los Angeles, or they have a steady career and find themselves suddenly sacked without a job at all, or being wonderfully married only to be suddenly single, etc.
Angels captures the superficial soul of Hollywood and LA VERY accurately, with her usual wit and honest observations. And in the meantime, the novel is filled with characters that you want to keep reading about! Well done Ms. Keyes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tried and Tested, 26 Jan 2007
Mrs. Kerry King (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels (Paperback)
I've been reading Marian Keyes since before she became 'fashionable' (upon the success of Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married) and my love affair with her novels began. Whenever I begin to doubt that Marian really is worth all the hype, I pick up one of her novels (personal favourites are 'Watermelon' and 'Rachel's Holiday') and reminisce over her genius and this contribution from Ms. Keyes is such a book.

Angels revists the wonderfully wacky Walsh family, this time delving into the life of a previously undocumented sister, Maggie (prior sorties on the Walsh clan have bestowed upon us the hilariously funny 'Rachel's Holiday' and the tender pleasures of 'Watermelon') and follows her on a voyage of discovery as she figures out who she really is following the collapse of her marriage to her first ever boyfriend. Luckily for Maggie she has a best friend living in Los Angeles; and what better place to examine your own neuroses than in the midst of a bunch of people with more than their fair share of the same.

'Angels' is a warm and fuzzy tale that should not be read on public transport for fear of making a fool of yourself by laughing aloud and loudly (when the Walsh family decides to visit Maggie at her friend's in Los Angeles; if that doesn't have you rolling in the aisles, you must have recently had a charisma bypass). It is a well-written and engaging story with three dimensional and occasionally slightly batty characters that you will bond with immediately.

Keyes gift to us all? The journey through the tale leaves you with the belief that whilst you thought you were looking at a blot on the landscape, it turns out it was actually the cherry on the cake all along - it was just too far away to see it clearly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 24 Sep 2002
This review is from: Angels (Hardcover)
As a massive fan of Marian Keyes I have been patiently waiting for the publication of this latest book.
If you've read either Rachel's Holiday or Watermelon you will be delighted to know that Angels follows the story of another of the Walsh sisters, Maggie.
Maggie has always been the "good girl" of the family and so when her marriage to Garv breaks down, her family and friends are deeply shocked. Struggling to come to terms with the split, the worn down Maggie jets off to LA to spend some time with her writer friend Emily.
Emily is herself trying to prove to all and sundry at home that her decision to move to Cailfornia to be a Hollywood writer was worth the risk.
It's hard to say too much about this book without giving away much of the story. There are so many twists and turns that the reader simply does not know what is coming next. This is not chick lit, this is funny, immensely moving and ultimately completely uplifting.
The Walsh family are as usual fabulous in all their dysfunctional glory. Maggie herself is a typical woman, with typical hopes and dreams and we can all relate to her shock at her broken marriage. Anyone who has ever had their heart broken will cry with her as she comes to terms with what has happend.
But never at any time does this book descend into self pity and depression. The women in Angels are fighters and they keep going no matter what is thrown at them, sometimes with hilarious consequences.
If I have to say one negative thing about this book ( and I really don't want to) this book was, for me, a little slow to start with, but that may have been simply because having read and loved Keyes' previous Walsh books I was expected to wowed from the first page.
However the book picked up pace and second half of the book is really "unputdownable".
I would recommend Angels to anyone who likes a good read, doesn't want to be patronised and likes to a book to make them both laugh and cry.
I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irish at it's best, 19 Oct 2002
This review is from: Angels (Hardcover)
This is a FAB book, but I would recommend you read, Watermelon 1st and Rachaels Holiday next as it is about the same Irish family and it refers to things that have happened in these previous books. I could not put the book down as it flows and is funny and sad, but hey we have all been there. The author is about my age and therefore things she describes relate to the way that i think (I was born in 1966). A short trip to LA and a world of discovery for Maggie, settled sensible Maggie. A must read for all Keyes fans, I hope she does a one woman show, I'd definately be there. And the tip re piles cream, well I'll have to try it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marian Keyes at her very best, 6 May 2005
This review is from: Angels (Hardcover)
I concider Angels the best book Marian Keyes has ever written (although I havent yet read all her books). Maggie is clearly the most symhatetic of the Walsh-sisters. I also think that Angels deals with wider themes. Maggie's problem isnt really low selfexteem, like Claire's and Rachel's. Shes somehow a deaper character. I also liked the plot. In Angels Marian Keyes is more entertraininbg than ever. I really laughed, especially when Maggies family came to LA to visite her. The Walsh family seems to be an Irish version of Bridget Jones' family. Marian howver makes her chacters more realistic and nicer than Helen fielding. Angels was also a real pageturner like no other book I have read for a while has been. I compeletely loved it. It captured me. Marian Keyes has a great way of relieving the background of events little by little. First it seemed like in the book Maggie's and Garv's marridge brokdown because they were simply tired of each other or something as shallow, but during the book it turned out there was a lot more to it. Really great! I really felt like I was Maggie when I was reading the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars engaging and hilarious, 3 July 2003
Elizabeth H. Bell (Baltimore, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Marion Keyes, and this one does not dissapoint. This book is about expectations, love, nostalgia and as an added punch a very funny commentary on life in the dream capitol of the world (or at least the US)Los Angeles, as seen through the sensible eyes of a gal from across the pond. LA is an industry town, and that industry is show business, and this novel, in addition to providing all the elements of a satisfying, enjoyable chick lit read, also provides a hilarious skewering of the way that town works- with its "yogalates" classes and nail salons. I didn't want to put it down- possibly the best Marion Keyes yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars LONG LIVE THE WALSH FAMILY, 11 Oct 2002
This review is from: Angels (Hardcover)
Like most people who have written reviews on Marian's books - I have read all of them and still my favourites are 'Watermelon' and 'Rachels Holiday'. I liked this book a lot but it wasn't as unputdownable as I had hoped. I felt like shaking Maggie at times and I would have liked the Walsh family to have been a more permanent fixture!!! I love Mammy Walsh and her quotes (coming from a large Irish family I really have been there and got the T-shirt!!!). I love Helen and her wicked ways - I hope Marian's next book is about Helen and her new venture (a Private Detective!!!) - what a story that will make. Some of the quotes/happenings in this book did make me laugh out loud though. Marian is so good at describing people, you really do feel you are sitting down having a drink with them yourself. I do love Marian Keyes and her sense of humour - I wish she was my best friend (don't worry, I'm not a stalker). Don't leave it too long for the next one Marian (whip whip).

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 Jan 2007
S. J. Virtue "sjv" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels (Paperback)
Every one of Marian Keyes novels has that something special that makes them enjoyable to read over and over again. She writes in a way that touches my soul, lifts my spirits and makes me roar with laughter. All at once. Every character she creates makes me feel like they have been written just for me. Angels is no different. The safe, steady, sensible Maggie Walsh has chucked in her job, her life and her marriage and followed her best mate to Hollywood. As we find out the whys and hows we learn more about Maggie and her fantastic family and I ended up considering Maggie one of my best mates too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !, 5 Jun 2007
This review is from: Angels (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Marian Keyes and I have to say I loved this book. I love the Walsh family and thought this book was funny and sad although not as sad as anybody out there. I love that fact that we get to catch up on the Walsh family and though this book was a great read.

A must for MK fans.

Angels
Angels by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 14 April 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01