4.0 out of 5 stars A dose of hope
When i finished " A Friend of the family" I couldn't believe that I wasn't going to know more about Gervase and the rest of the family London.
Published on 5 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant enough read
Published on 24 July 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A dose of hope, 5 July 2004
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
It is the perfect book to take on holiday or even to read at home in your free time. It is charming, funny and full of emotion. It makes you think that in the world there is people who helps people in one way or another. And shows you how important is being a member of your own family.
I recomend it to anybody who want to have a nice and cheerful reading time.
Julia

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewell continues to surprise....and delight, 9 Mar. 2004
Colin (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
The appropriately named Jewell releases her fourth novel, which is destined to become her fourth entry to the bestsellers club.
A warning to the men of Britain- disregard this as a "women's book" at your peril. Jewell seems to have an understanding of the complexities of relationships of the heart (whether friend, family or lover) and the ability to translate to paper with an easy and jovial style.
A Friend of the Family tells the tale of the London family and the web of romantic entanglement woven around three brothers. I defy any reader to get through this tale without recognising on some level, similarities to their own family life. The London family will have you laughing out loud and cringing in equal measures as the tale is played out, but you will stay with them for the duration. Suburban life has never been so much fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lisa gives us another great read! More than 'chick-fic'., 25 July 2003
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
I've just finished this book after receiving it as a birthday present from my best friend - I got through it in no time as it's a real page-turner. I've read all of Lisa Jewell's books and enjoyed each one immensely, so was really looking forward to reading this one.
This one is slightly different from the others, focusing as it does on a whole family (the London family - mum Bernie, dad Gerry and their three sons), rather than just a couple, or friends. Jewell's description of the family background is great - you really feel at home in the Londons' house and are drawn in to each one of the characters' lives. I found it easy to relate to them all - with the possible exception of the enigmatic Gervase. Although he is a key character (but not a member of the family), I didn't find him particularly believable. He's not explained fully enough, and I was left wondering who he was and why he was there (but maybe that was the point?). I was just slightly dissatisfied with his whole 'gift' thing - and this is the only reason that I have given 4 stars to this book instead of 5.
Otherwise, an excellent read - the depiction of the anniversary party is brilliant, and Gerry's speech so touching it had me welling up. There is plenty of humour here, mixed with just the right amount of sentiment, and even though you basically know things are going to work out for everyone in the end, it's not necessarily predictable in the way that so many so-called 'chick fic' stories are (there is an element of suspense to Ned's story and you're not quite sure how things are going to go for him). I'd recommend this book - and not just to established Lisa Jewell fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant enough read, 24 July 2003
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
Lisa Jewell's books are always packed with humour, quirky characters, and observations about contemporary London, and this is no exception. I enjoyed it, and it engaged me from start to finish. However, she's one of those authors that I find I really can't get my teeth into--I enjoy reading her but I don't feel gripped or completely absorbed as I do with some authors. There's something about her that misses the mark. Having said that, she's obviously broken free of the 'chick lit' label that she's clearly marketed as, and this book sets her firmly among the ranks of Nick Hornby, Tony Parsons, etc as an author who can appeal to both sexes, a wide age range; and she can 'do' men as well as women.
With 'A Friend of the Family', as with Lisa's earlier books, I get the feeling that we really haven't seen the full potential of her humour and intelligence. There are dark sides to all her books (increasingly so with each novel, I think) that suggest that in a few years she'll have the confidence to leave light-heartedness behind and produce a 'serious' read that will make people sit up and listen.
I've just read what I've written and realised it sounds somewhat negative - this is because I'm judging her harshly because I can see she's capable of so much more than a disposable read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Was Okay, 11 Jun. 2014
Not Lisa Jewells best novel but was an okay read. Find her style of writing very easy to read with a good flow. I am at present reading 31 Dream Street and after 11 chapters it is very good. Would still recommend A Friend of The Family but not as good as her other books

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 28 Aug. 2003
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
Lisa Jewell has previously written three excellent novels getting better as each came out. However, Friend of the Family was a major disappointment. Gervase is as convincing as one of those TV shows where an 'angel' goes from family to family to help them and then disappear, or like Lassie...
The prose was boring and the ending predictable and sugary. I hope that her next novel is built upon the brilliant One Hit Wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 31 July 2014
Kept me wanting to read more and more. Read this book within a couple of days, kept me hooked. I have read a few books from this author before so knew it would be a good puchase

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
The second book I've read by this author and definitely not the last, I loved it. Easy reading yet lots of interesting things going on.I love her style of writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars light relief, 31 July 2003
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
I found this book a lighthearted easy read, and enjoyed a few laugh out loud moments which is always a good sign.
I find that Lisa Jewell mangages to be predictable in just the right way. You kind of know that everything will turn out right, but you don't know the journey that will take you there.
The dialogue between characters is what sets this novel apart from other chick-lit pretenders. It's also what makes it for men as well as women. There is also an almost embarrassing commitment to honesty, or the lack of it, which makes it incredibly easy to connect to the characters and believe in their situations.
The only weird bit is the pervasive influence of Gervase.. I must admit I'm not convinced by him or his presence. I think the use of his special talents as an instrument of influence with the boys is about as subtle as the ghost of Christmas Past. But other than that, another winner from LJ.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Brilliant Book, 28 Oct. 2005
This review is from: A Friend of the Family (Paperback)
Lisa Jewell does it again! I was totally addicted to this book, just like the others, I just could not put it down. The Characters are brilliantly thought out and planned. She uses little details to describe everthing which I loved. The quirky relationship of this family is what I liked the most as I think everyone will be able to relate to it. Genius

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Friend of the Family
A Friend of the Family by Lisa Jewell (Paperback - 12 Feb. 2004)