5.0 out of 5 stars Profound insight rising form the pit of human depravity.
Knowing Cave's music well, it is perhaps not suprising that he would write a novel about imbreeds, murder, filth, religion, not to mention some of the most unusual narrative language one can find. I love this book, partly, I suppose, because it appeals to that undesirable aspect of everyone's nature that hungers for the grotesque and bestial. However, if this was all it...
Published on 28 Feb 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Original, disappointing and unpleasant
I really didn't enjoy this at all. I really liked 'The Death of Bunny Munro' and have always found Nick Cave kind of interesting, so I approached this book expecting a good read. The writing style is kind of impressive and poetic at first, however after a while it just becomes rambling and irritating. The plot in itself is undeniably interesting, but also pretty silly and...
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by Anna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars For Nick Cave fans..., 6 Aug 2014
this book has the language and prose of Nick Cave, it sets a horrid setting with a despicable background of characters. I found it a riveting read

5.0 out of 5 stars deeper than deep, 16 Jun 2000
By A Customer
i bought this book way back in october 1999, i'm still reading it now. No, not for the third or forth time, i'm still reading on the first time. Why you may ask, well its certainly not because i may find it boring. This book is the most intense, grotesque, evil, yet beutiful and warmimg book i have ever read. I consider myself a deep thinker, yet, i can only read a couple of pages at a time. This is because of the way Cave twists and snaps your emotions. You feel sorry for the mute, yet you find him repulsive. You detest the religious containment, yet you see glory and mystery within the words of abie poe the cracked preacher. This book is linguistically amazing, take time with it, let the words tickle or twist your brain.
Believe me, this is not for the pure thinkers, it is for those who dwell on the other side. Those who are not scared to see a bit evil. Fans of nick cave's music will love this book. Also fans of the league of gentlemen. Anyone who lives on a deeper plain. enjoy - write to me if you want to converse on the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible!, 18 April 2000
By A Customer
this book is the best i've ever read, and no i'm not overdoing it now.i read this book in two days...and then i read it again.euchrid's sad universe is so horribly facinating and you can't help feeling sorry for him.or at least i couldn't.his life in a twisted society of religious maniacs is told about in a great way.nick cave should write more books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Troubling, for the modern day not least, 5 Sep 2008
M.I. "migoe" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a chilling book, one I admit I had to stop reading for some time it left me so disturbed. Then I returned to it.
It's especially relevant in view of the upsurge of fundamental Christianity in the US and elsewhere. A claustrophobic, Old-Testament steeped (whence the title) community far out in the wild develops its own ways, including inbreeding and bigotry, spiced with a tendency to alcoholism. Such religious virtue as there is lies only at skin level, if even there. It's so very reminiscent of the revelations in recent years of the true lives of 'televangelists'. Be warned: this is a troubling book to read once it gains a hold on you. It troubled me, a one-time religious teacher, now a secular humanist. When you have read it, look again at the religious credentials, increasingly mandatory, of so many of our political figures - in the US above all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beauty disfigured is beautiful, 27 April 2001
This review is from: And the Ass Saw the Angel (Essential Penguin) (Paperback)
I think that Nick Cave is very beautiful and this book is about things so ugly that they are beautiful. He writes of religion and incest in insect-infested dark lands. Horror and glory are melted together in a very dirty-sounding way. If this kind of thing sounds like fun to you then you will like this book. I did, very much.

2.0 out of 5 stars If He Writes Another Novel, It'll Be Great, 30 Sep 2004
Oh, I so hope Nick Cave continues to write, because he is a great storyteller. But he better get a better editor. Great elements: great characters, great plot, great use of language, and all for naught, regrettably, and I'm still not sure why. (Yes, I am a fan of his music -- Murder Ballads reduces me to tears at times -- oh, what a remarkable translator of tragedy!) This book will be more interesting after he writes more novels. Can I recommend And The Ass Saw The Angel? -- alas no; you Nick Cave fans will read it and love it, but for you folks who aren't yet devotees, get his music; you will be shocked and beguiled, and you will become fans of that, I am sure.

1.0 out of 5 stars and the ass saw the angel, 21 April 2012
I would love to review this book, but am yet to receive it, really hope it arrives soon! I have already read the book years ago, but wish to read it again

1.0 out of 5 stars I've never met anyone who has actually read the whole of this book, 22 Sep 2009
Donna Green - See all my reviews
Amazing that folk are writing excellent reviews when in actual fact the book is unreadable. NC may be a god like genius BUT .....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

And the Ass Saw the Angel (Essential Penguin)
And the Ass Saw the Angel (Essential Penguin) by Nick Cave (Paperback - 22 Feb 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01