5.0 out of 5 stars An addictive, laugh out loud book from start to finish.
Not only did Syrup manage to make me laugh out loud in the first chapter, I read it with a permanent smirk and certainly didn't want to put it down.
Having been a victim of advertising many a time, I gained great satisfaction at this comical and satirical look at the lengths Scat, '6' and Sneaky Pete go to in order to create the ultimate consumer product...
Published on 17 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Wants to be so hip that it hurts
Syrup is a book that wants to have its cake and eat it. On the one hand it wants to be a razor sharp satire on advertising, the media, consumerism and modern aspiration & celebrity obsessed society. On the other hand it wants so badly to be hip, down with the zeitgeist and ultra-modern (the very things it is seeking to satirise) that you can almost feel it...
Published on 5 Jun 2007 by C. Green

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 5 Aug 2012
I enjoyed this novel immensely, a very humorous examination of marketing that still holds true today.
The storyline is also very enjoyable.
I bought this for a holiday read and finished it in the first few days it was so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really hilarious spoof of the big,bad marketing world., 10 Aug 1999
This review is from: Syrup (Hardcover)
I really loved this book-as fresh and funny as Jonathan Baird's DAY JOB-both take gleeful swipes at the corporate world in which we're all entrenched.Let's have more of both these guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars SSS - Sticky Sweet and full of Syrup, 5 Oct 1999
This review is from: Syrup (Hardcover)
Picked it up and it just stuck, I could not put it down untill I had completely consumed it. It was like the sweet sound of ice in a fresh glass of coke..enjoy and refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite LA, but close enough, 12 Aug 2003
This review is from: Syrup (Paperback)
As a Southern California resident, I can appreciate the jabs Max makes at us, where even the illiterate can get into most of the 23 Cal State Universities. While he doesn't set his novel in the real LA, he places it into the glossed over, gen X, media hyped image that most people think the town is. Inaccuracies aside (it takes 1.5 hours to get across LA, not 20 minutes) this odyssey through corperate America and marketing mayhem left me in stitches from the first chapter. A must read for anyone who has ever bought name brand merchandise.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC ADDICTIVE READ, 11 Aug 1999
This review is from: Syrup (Hardcover)
Syrup was a fantastic read. Rarely do I like the book from the first page. I LOVED this one from the first sentence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Syrup (Paperback)
I love this hilarious and entertaining book. It has some great marketing concept too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 4 Oct 2004
This review is from: Syrup (Paperback)
This is probably the funniest book i have ever read, loved it, i even ordered it from the USA after reading it as i had borrowed a copy from a friend there who recomended it and it wasnt out here in the uk. Just by it and see how good it is for yourself!!! i strongly recommend it, and his other book jennifer government! i have a signed copy of both!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Syrup (Paperback)
I must say this book is the most surprising book I've ever known of. I started reading it in the morning and didn't finish until it was done. Really clever and well written book, full of humour. After I'd finished the book I was a bit stunned how good it was. My two flatmates borrowed it once I was done and they couldn't believe how good it was either.

In conclusion: Read this book, it is worth it. Amazing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: Syrup (Paperback)
I hate this book. It tries, I emphasise tries, to mock the shallowness of advertising but is every bit as superficial as the industry it takes pot shots at. The central charters Scat and 6 are the worst offenders; completely one dimensional there is zero character development and they serve as nothing more than props to advance the idiotic plot. And for something written by someone who used to work in the industry it has no insight in marketing whatsoever. Marketers try and come up with cool names and branding and use product placement in movies? Really? Thanks Maxx I never would have guessed. Seriously if you come across anything in this book that you find surprising about how marketing works you must have been marooned on a dessert island for the last 50 years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Syrup
Syrup by Barry Maxx (Paperback - 27 July 2000)