5.0 out of 5 stars Totally un-put-down-able!
Published on 7 Jun. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars An average novel
Playing away is written in the eyes of one person (Connie), the story is very easy to follow and is based around a group of friends living in London, This was a very easy book to read and did not require much imagination to feel involved with the characters.

Published on 5 July 2008 by My Oracle

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally un-put-down-able!, 7 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
What a read, everything, from the humour, the lust, the friends- to the 'big affair' was compelling. i was amused, touched, romanced, saddened and thrilled by the story, from start to finish. My attention was grasped from the prologue and just didnt let go, it was easy to relate with Connie and feel her feelings, think her thoughts. We all have friends to whom we can match with Connies and Adele Parks manner of describing her characters is excellent, giving her reader the full picture. This is the first book to have made me shed a tear, and as soon as i reached the end i turned back to the beginning, wanting to relive the whole story all over again. However, my sister in law has tonight dragged the book, from my reluctant grasp with the promise of returning it when she has read it.........................will i ever see it again! Aaaaarrrggghh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Playing Away - Read it and weep., 7 May 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
There's absolutely no way anyone can compare this book to the influx of "Bridget Jones Lookalikes" that have flooded the market over the past couple of years. I bought this book because I was intrigued by the description on the back, but I can honestly say it doesn't do it justice. I found this book one of the most compelling, heartbreaking and exciting I've ever read. If anyone's ever been in the position Connie finds herself in, you will smile when you recognise yourself in Adele Park's achingly good descriptions of the highs and lows that go with the territory of having an affair. It's so well written and sensitively true to life, that I felt throughly disappointed when I'd finished it. Not because the ending wasn't good - but because I couldn't read it anymore. Accusing "Playing Away" of being a "girly book" is a travesty. Thank you Adele, for writing something that I could have written myself if only I had the talent. An absolutely brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You just can't put it down, 3 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
A friend of mine recommended this book to me and I'm certainly glad I took her up on it. Playing Away got my attention in the first few pages and held it all the way to the end - it was just so funny, frightening, sad and also true to life. Connie is not always a likeable woman, but she shows that everyone has difficult choices to make and some people get them very wrong. I recognised so much of myself and my friends in the characters and the things life is throwing at them. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a summer read that will make them laugh and cry in one go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense, sad and unusual!, 26 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
I couldn't stop reading this but I still can't work out whether that was because I was really enjoying it or because I was dreading Connie ending up with John! It's a book I can't compare with any others aimed at the 'thirtysomething' market because it's very raw, real and gets you thinking about marriage and why people get so complacent about it. The writing style (odd in places) gets you inside the mind of Connie to truly understand why she embarks on the affair despite being in a very young marriage. This is a book which I am still pondering over a few days later!

3.0 out of 5 stars An average novel, 5 July 2008
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)

I felt that the novel was not very inspiring and so therefore bored me somewhat, this is not to say it is not everyone's cup of tea. Connie's seemingly perfect marriage does not give purpose to her affair so therefore did confuse me as to why the affair happened in the first place.

I also felt that the characters in the novel had endless supplies of money, indulged in too much alcohol and regularly used the lesser favourable of swear words. As far as I am concerned there is no passion in the novel and so I found it hard to become indulged in the book itself. I feel that the follow on story `Young wives tales' may be more inspiring as the characters are now developed.

All in all I wouldn't suggest that anyone would refrain from reading this novel but not to have too many high expectations before commencing a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great holiday read!, 3 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
A refreshingly honest look at the lives of thirty-somethings, who have been through the Bridget Jones singleton era, and have moved on. Totally engaging, and a book I couldn't put down!
A good 'girly' holiday read, with substance. Anyone who's ever considered an affair, will think again...
Definitely recommend - this is a book I have bought for several friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEX, LIES AND LOTS OF ALCOHOL!, 28 April 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
Playing Away has all the right ingredients for a novel that must be read in few more than one sitting. The author successfully created characters that the modern twenty something will easily relate to. Connie, the main character seems to have the perfect life - close friends, successful husband, a gorgeous home, good looks and a well paid job. Having achieved all this she decides to start a new "project". The author perfectly details the absolute thrill and agony of falling deeply in lust with someone you shouldn't. It is indeed "the closest you'll get to an affair without actually having one"! I look forward to the next Adele Parks novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED THIS BOOK! Completely gripping, 27 July 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
I have never heard of this book and I found it in a shop the other day. Bought it to go away for the weekend and ended up reading it all in one go! It is so gripping, I couldn't put it down, and Adele Parks writes so well! It's one step on from those annoying girly books - it tells it like it is and I know lots of people who've thought about having an affair. This is the book to readif you have, because it doesn't pull any punches and tells it like it is. And the ending made me cry!
Buy this book for your friends. They'll thank you for it! Please write another book soon, Adele!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly, I enjoyed it, 18 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
This is no great feat of literature - a novel about an affair which is little more than an obsessive ego trip, with a fairly transparent storyline, and main characters which are not entirely likeable -they run the range from too perfect (and arrogant with it) to downright frumpy by way of really annoying...

Despite all of this, however, I did enjoy the book - the subject matter (adultery) is unusual for what is essentially a romantic novel and it is dealt with honestly, though not sympathetically, and if you're looking for a fun read for the beach, it fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - could not put it down!, 12 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
Just had to keep reading - finished within a weekend - and with a 2 year old to amuse! You just have to keep turning the pages to see what happens next. I experienced every emotion! Well worth it.

Playing Away
Playing Away by Adele Parks (Paperback - 30 Mar. 2000)