on 12 September 2001
I picked up this book expecting an "anaemic" romantic tale; I couldn't have been more wrong. Buchan has the ability to get inside her characters' hearts and to identify with the feelings of very different types of women. I am now going to read everything she has ever written.
on 28 September 2000
If you want to be gripped and moved read this portrait of three women at different stages of their lives. Tender, truthful and wise, this is about England, its changing countryside and the choices life today poses.Can't be bettered.
on 31 July 2000
In most fiction you can spot which couple is going to end up together by about page 7. Here, you genuinely don't know how it's going to end until it does. In this story about the delicate balance between conservation and progress, Elizabeth Buchan shows that you can be both a fine writer and also a good read for those who don't want intellectual pretension.
on 3 April 2010
I just adore tales of love triangles and this is a good one..poor Kitty the mistress..but Julian wasn't actually married..but you feel for her as well as the new younger woman in his life. Includes countryside and country houses..another winner in my "book"..the tale keeps pace, the end isn't blaringly obvious, a bit of humour with the batty aunts and the author kept my interest throughout the entire book.
on 1 October 2015
I looked at the title of this book and thought... mmmmm..... sounds a bit Mills and Boon, but, I have always been a fan of Elizabeth Buchan, so felt that it must be worth a go. I am so glad that it was much more than perhaps the title would have you believe, (or me!) I think E. B. creates characters who you can believe in and I find her books easy to become immersed in for the duration of the read. No speed reading or sighing because we have jumped forward/backward 50 years or whatever. Think this is a re-print of an older book, but would recommend. With a list of interesting characters, televison documentary researcher, wealthy property developer with mistress of 10 years, two slighty aged and dotty aunts, eco farmer and crumbling Flagge House in the midst. Difficult to fail!
on 28 February 2013
A new author for me: one of Amazon's recpmmendations, and one whose books I shall look for in the future.
The story weaves around the lives and loves of strong characters and is enhanced by the most beautiful descriptions of the sights and sounds of the Somerset countryside. You can almost hear the sea and smell the meadows. When there is a fire, you can smell the smoke; when Julian swims in the sea, you can feel the cold. It's a book that makes you feel every emotion, every sound, every relationship. The plot was fairly predictable once the main characters had been established, but there were several surprises along the way. Easy reading and thoroughly enjoyable.
on 10 August 2014
I love this author's ability to flesh out her characters so that they seem absolutely familiar and true. The stories come to life and the emotions described and the unfolded events seem to become personal as though we know these people.
on 26 February 2014
This was a perfect condition book, no marks at all and just what i wanted. Communication was also excellent and any queries were dealt with very quickly and efficiently - thanks very much!
on 31 May 2015
This is a beautifully written love story but is not in the same class as 'Consider the Lily'. I feel that both Julian and Andrew were rather weak, and that Agnes deserved more ...
on 8 January 2014
I love Elizabeth Buchan! Always a great tale and her perception and understanding of her characters is brilliant. Lovely story.