4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely twist to a great book
Everyone thinks they know about Alice in Wonderland - my own 'knowledge' comes from years of obsessive viewing of the superlative Disney feature as a child - but this terrific little book will prove you wrong. There are enough notes in here to keep even the most apathetic reader pacified; and the book is designed in such a way that the notes aid the reader, rather than...
Published on 1 April 2003 by Particular Press

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book, dreadful production
I bought this as a replacement for a copy which, like so many others, got lent to a friend and never got returned. I was very disappointed when it arrived. My old copy was about 3 cm thick. This version was half that thickness. I soon found why. The text of "Alice" was very small, the print of the annotations in the margins, which is the reason for buying the book in the...
Published on 26 Jun 2010 by Will

5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE IT, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (Paperback)
I LOVED THE BOOK AND ITS STATE. VERY CLEAN AND NEW, AND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR BASICALLY FOR MY STUDY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 27 Feb 2013
I hadn't realised how old this book is; and this copy only available from USA. It oddly explains a lot of words perfectly normal in Britain but there are also interesting insights into the contemporary world of Lewis Carroll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Annotated Alice: Definative edition, 22 Aug 2011
Nice item, well-printed, much better and larger format than previous edition, had Pelican large format edition in 1970's, lent it to a boyfriend who thought Alice was 'childish c**p', needless to say never got it back, this will do very well! Integrated notes from 'More Annotated Alice' very useful, though a bit hard to read.

Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars Language is worth a thousand pounds a word. This is priceless!, 2 Jun 2011
For those of you who have discovered and love Lewis Carroll's masterworks `Alice in Wonderland' and `Alice through the looking glass (and what Alice found there)', filled with its many many lessons of life, such as the lesson `Wallowing in self-pity to drown your sorrows will not fix anything' (Pool of tears); for those of you who are curious about the origins of the eccentric characters such as the gryphon in Carroll's quirky `Wonderland' world; and for those of you that wish to delve into the many puzzles - such as why the dormouse was put into a teapot - this book is definitely for you - and you will love each and every anecdote almost as much as the fantastic page-turning story.

What you WONT find are all of the answers to the many allegories - the King of Hearts who brings a fixed viewpoint ("consider your verdict") no matter how you may try to put across your point of view or get to the bottom of things (know anyone who is like that?); the White Queen offering "jam yesterday and jam tomorrow - but never jam today" - basically saying when you look back you only remember the sweet times, and you only ever look forward to pleasant times ahead - but the NOW is very different.

If THESE are the sort of answers you seek then you need THIS publication AND a copy of `Alice in Wonderland and philosophy' edited by Richard Davis. Armed with BOTH you will not only reveal the meanings behind each character, you will also discover the PURPOSE of a timeless classic - to learn through the eyes of the most captivating heroine in all of literature. A true feminist who is willing to absorb, learn, and CHALLENGE as she encounters many hostilities, Alice does not require a `fairy godmother' - she simply applies a very simple lesson - to prove what she is TOLD by CONTESTING it.

Own BOTH unputdownable publications and you will love each and every anecdote almost as much as the wonderful page-turning story - and - just like Alice - you will be able to challenge everything that you meet on YOUR journey through `Wonderland'.

Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Annotated Alice, 10 July 2010
Mr. W. Leigh Thomas "leigthom" (E London/Essex) - See all my reviews
Excellent book. Clearly written and enjoyable to read. So good several friends have bought their own copies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 28 Dec 2001
R. Tait (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is good stuff. The notes (printed alongside the main text) make Lewis Carroll's weirdy stories a whole lot more approachable for curious grown-up modern readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drink me !, 26 Jan 2005
By A Customer
It's not so much a looking glass that is required here but a magnifying glass as it would help to read the tiny annotated text which accompanies the original story.
Either that or a small bottle marked "Drink Me" which when taken reduces the reader to a size in keeping with the small print.
Although the subject has been thoroughly and well researched explanations of "comfit" and "ferret" leave no doubt that this examination of an English treasure is probably aimed at the American market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I lack imagination..., 22 Jun 2008
María José García Ferrer (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
A student chose this for our book club, and although I had some misgivings I said yes, because after all it's a classic.I tried to forget the fact that I didn't like it the first time I read it. I enthusiastically bought myself this annotated edition and started reading it again...
And surprise, surprise I still don't like it. My four stars go to the editor , though. The notes are wonderful,even though sometimes I get a bit fed up with them and concentrate on just the text for a while.
I suppose the reason I don't like "Alice" is I'm not into nonsense. My student told me I should try and believe what is happening is true. I've tried but I can't,maybe it's because I'm getting old...

3.0 out of 5 stars Soso, 4 Dec 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Alice's Adventure

My first impressions of this book were that it was like reading C.S. Lewis on cheap drugs. The events are complete non sequiturs and the changes in plot are worse.

It appears to be a spoiled child wandering in a world she does not understand, nor is willing to learn about - unlike Lucy in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe who seeks to understand the local customs and circumstances.

The book is very easy to read but it leaves distaste in my literary mouth. I know it is considered a classic but I just do not see it, and if I did not have to read it for school I would not have bothered to finish it.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

Through the Looking Glass

Though this book is not much better than Alice's Adventures, the chess motif and theme does make the book much more interesting. With the bossy, dominant Red Queen and the quiet, kind, messy white queen, the book is a study in contrasts.

The interweaving of the Nursery Rhyme Characters and the frequent fish poetry references does provide more continuity and a sense of sequential events than Alice's first adventure. I also appreciated the linking of the cat at the beginning and end of the story.

It does still feel like Carroll did way too many opium pipes in his time.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)