5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Diving Book
Published on 10 Aug 2007 by A. J. Rabet

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg of a book on diving
The overview I read suggested this was a book of personal experiences of diving.

In fact it's a rather uneasy mix of personal experiences and diving history.

Where it works well is in the recounting of the personal experiences. Ecott does a good job of putting the pleasures of diving in many different environments and locations (And some of the fears...
Published 21 months ago by M. Saxby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Diving Book, 10 Aug 2007
A. J. Rabet "Rabs" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
I lent this book to a diving friend of mine whilst doing a TDI course and he kept it for 4 years until it arrived at my house yesterday. His comments were that he had forgotten he had it but what a great read it was. I think all people who dive and who have read this echo his sentiments as Ecott manages to encapsulate what it feels like to be underwater and especially those moments when you feel weightless and the diving becomes as natural as being on dry land.

Also enjoyable are Ecott's thoughts on other diving such as Apnea and his introductions to the history of diving.

All those who dive should read this as well as those who want to plus I would recommend it to any partners who cannot understand their love of this great pastime.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 4 Mar 2005
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
At last a book about diving that doesn't harp on about how dangerously deep and narked you can get if you're man enough (and so on ad nauseum). Tim's accounts of enjoying the sensation of breathing underwater and its de-stressing effects are a breath of fresh compressed air. The history and technical detail that goes with it is just fascinating, and nicely written. A must for anyone who fancies a challenge - just try putting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, captivating book, 26 May 2006
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
I'm just getting interested in scuba after a trial dive on holiday, and a friend who has the diving bug badly lent me this book.

To be honest I wasn't sure what to make of it at the outset. I wasn't sure I especially needed to know about how people dived before scuba, or even why they bothered. Surely scuba with all its possibilities must be the only thing worth reading about nowadays? But I trusted my friend's judgement (we read lots of other similar books) and so I pushed on past my initial misgiving.

What a result! This is such a fascinating, beautifully-written book.

Tim Ecott has written about the technology (no it is NOT boring!), the real-life heroes, and the needs and wants of divers and diving through centuries of human endeavours; he also met some of the modern icons and has such an admiration for them that the interviewees gave plenty of time to him.

In any book there are high points. One I didn't expect was Umberto Pellizzari. Why should I be interested in free diving? Some people who just hold their breath and dive - why don't they use cylinders etc.? But Tim Ecott captures the passion and excitement of these athletes so wonderfully that I savoured every word.

He also spends alternate chapters covering his own diving experiences. He doesn't hold back, his passion for the sport is infectious and his emotions so near the surface [sic] that it is quite moving.

Anyone with even a mild interest in diving, be it free diving, snorkelling, scuba or whatever, should read this. The imagery of the author's own dives and his fascinating research into others is brilliantly conveyed. And to be honest I would recommend it to almost anyone else too. It's a fine read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for divers.., 5 Feb 2007
Mr. I. Savage (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by a friend who, like me, has been a passionate diver for many years. I read this book in one go last year whilst on holiday diving and I wish I had stumbled across it earlier. It is an excellent summary of diving history in general but more specifically why people like me are passionate about diving. Tim avoids the usual macho aspects of diving literature and gives us a really good insight to how and why diving has progressed and become such a popular sport. I am involved in developing new ideas and products for diving and found the history of the development of diving technology fascinating and useful. Perhaps most importantly for students learning to dive, Tim has managed to provide a no nonsense guide to what diving does to the body and his descriptions are worth ten textbooks. This book really is required reading for divers

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read on Man's exploration of the Sea, 22 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
I am hugely impressed by this book. It is well written and the author very cleverly weaves historical accounts of attempts to explore the depths with lively narrative. He gives names in history books life and character. His own wide experience of diving lends credibility and continuity to the flow of the book. I believe this book is a great read for divers and land-lubbers alike. It may even give a mystified non-diving partner or family member an insight into the 'buzz' of scuba diving.
Very enjoyable and readable book. Well done Mr. Ecott.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read if your interested in diving, 2 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
This is an excellant book for anybody with even a passing interest in divbing and being in the water. There are not that many books that can take a subject as complex as dive table theory and development and make it as easily accessible, but Ecott has managed to achive this in netutral bounyancy making the reasearch of JS Haldene gripping stuff indeed !
After reading the book some time back, I'm re-reading my copy to help with revision for my Divemaster exams. As an enjoyable read as the firtst time round, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go on, Dive In, 28 Jan 2002
sccmillhouse (London, England) - See all my reviews
Once I'd read the account of a sub-aqua dance with a manta ray off Desroches Island in a Qantas in flight magazine in October I was hooked. Although I initially hoped the rest of the book would tell of other beautifully written underwater adventures, it soon became apparent that this book was much more than just a series of dive memoirs that can be heard on every dive boat, everyday, everywhere. Tim Ecott not only informs divers and non-divers alike but also gives the reader an insight as to why people dive. Divers can relate to his personal experiences and I can imagine non-divers will finish this book and start leafing through the travel brochures dreaming of joining the underwater world. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the plunge..., 25 Jun 2001
This semi-autobiographical history of diving is excellently written. Readers who dive will love finding out about the historical background of underwater exploration. Non-diving readers will be itching to give it a try after reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and extensively researched personal odyssey, 8 July 2002
simon gurney (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
Neutral Bouyancy, is somewhat different to waht i had expected from reading various reviews and the book jacket, and thankfully it exceeded my expectations. The book is a history of diving interspersed with personal accounts and anecdotes, which balances nicely.
Being an avid diver i have often wondered about some of the early pioneers and evolution of the apparatus which is used, and this books answered a lot of my questions and filled ina lot of gaps.
It was interesting to read about Jaques Costeau, James Bond and other subliminal influences to my own diving ambitions.
Ecoot travels and dives inthe four corners of the earth, to research his book, and his passion shines through on every page.
a must read for british divers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, 2 Jun 2007
This review is from: Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Paperback)
What a great read! I didn't want to put it down. Fantastic idea to mix elements of personal experience amongst a story about the general history of diving. I'm sure non divers would enjoy the read as much as divers will.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World
Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World by Tim Ecott (Paperback - 30 May 2002)