4.0 out of 5 stars Why look beyond turning those pages?
... What we do indeed have here is a page turner, very much so, and I hope it's unusual to encounter quite such severe censorship as can write off so many words as a result of so few.
Published on 1 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars great get-away-from-it-all holiday read
Published on 23 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars great get-away-from-it-all holiday read, 23 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sisters (Paperback)
This is quite different from "Leaving Patrick", Prue Leith's first novel, although it too draws heavily on her experience in catering to flesh out one of the sisters of the title - Carrie, who works as a food stylist. This is a rollicking read, great fun and with an original twist on the sibling rivalry theme. I don't agree with the reviewer who has complained that one of the main characters using strong language is out of character - the poor man was under a lot of strain at the time! Pack it with the suntan cream and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why look beyond turning those pages?, 1 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sisters (Paperback)
I'm not someone who easily takes, these days, to fiction. I'm not easily drawn in. But if you're a natural reader who doesn't want dark depression, still less wanting nothingness in its place, then get ordering.
Prue Leith offers an omniscient view (such as I usually hate) of relationships in all kinds of time-honoured, horribly identifiable trouble. A frighteningly strong grip, too, on the idea of self-doubt. This novel is deft, entertaining, and overcomes all my prejudices at least.
I can easily see how Trainspotting appears beyond the pale, but Sisters is bright and a breeze.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for holidays and miserable summers, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Sisters (Paperback)
This is a great read for a wet miserable weekend in England. Fast paced, easy reading - a good page turner, yet .......... I found that I actually cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prue Leith sensibly plays to her strengths - one of the sistaers does catering and food articles and part of the story takes place in South Africa. These descriptions certainly made the book a cut about the usual light romance. also she sensitively explores the issue of sibling jealously and its impact upon families.

Yes there is some bad language, but nothing worse that can be heard on the TV most nights, so please don't let that put you off. Just read and enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars, 20 May 2010
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sisters (Paperback)
I read this in 2 days and zipped through it. It was an easy to follow story and really held my attention.
Unfortunately, there was quite a lot of bad language (which detracted from the story somewhat) and the speech wasn't very natural. The story was incredibly fast-paced and time rushed by. I don't know if this was a good or a bad thing. Did it make the story flow better or did things happen too quickly. Hmm...
This was my first Prue Leith and although it wasn't what I expected (in particular the language used) I don't think it will be my last.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superb book spoiled by an error of judgement, 16 Jun 2001
This review is from: Sisters (Paperback)
I was really enjoying this book, it had a good story line and kept me turning the pages. I was looking forward to passing it on to my sisters and recommending it to my friends, but near the end one of the hitherto polite and dependable characters suddenly uses strong sexual bad language that is neither in keeping with his character nor in keeping with the ethos of the book. I was so disappointed and now feel that I cannot recommend the book to anyone.

ARRAY(0xab0bbb4c)

Sisters
Sisters by Prue Leith (Paperback - 3 May 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01