on 2 November 1998
I have read all of the original Oz books by L. Frank Baum and some of the more recent ones. I can tell you right now that this book spoiled Oz for me. I can't imagine Oz having computers and telephones. The author may have tried to recreate the land of Oz, but he did not succeed. He kept going back to different books that Baum wrote about Oz, telling about this or that, and that was basically what the first two or three chapters were about! And also, I never really got into this book as I did with the others, for me, this book wasn't Oz. Gardner may have thought he was doing a good job, but I didn't. Oz is supposed to be a magic place, if there are computers and telephones and the like, it takes the magic away. And Glinda never had Oz transported to another dimension, she made it invisible or something, not to another dimension. For people who love Oz the way Baum and the other authors depicted it, don't read this book. It really does take away from the world that Baum created and others just improved upon. Gardner shouldn't have written this book, in my opinion, it shouldn't have ever been written. Just leave Oz the way it is.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again