5.0 out of 5 stars Even locals think this is excellent, 25 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
The cartography is excellent - wonderfully clear - and the level of detail (in terms of buildings, major shops, public transport, pubs, parks etc etc) is great. Some smaller streets are omitted (London has zillions of little lanes that few people ever look for) which significantly improves readability and makes room for all sorts of other details. The bus route numbers are very helpful in particular.
The front and back of the book contain useful reference information on key tourist sights
Most locals use the "A-Z" map, which is horrible for visitors. A-Z does show EVERY street, and it goes further into the suburbs, but it has nothing like the detail on the Penguin map.
Although I have lived in London for 15 years I still use the Penguin Mapguide when I need to find places in Central London. Same for Paris and New York!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of information in this tiny little book, 5 Feb 2002
L. J. Rosenberg "LJR" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
The London Mapguide is more than just a map of the city, it is a travel book in itself. In addition to the colorful, easy to read maps, there is a section at the beginning of the book on the history of London and the various attractions in the city. This is by and far the best aspect of the book as it includes the location (which you can cross-reference with the maps), opening hours, pricing, and a description of the attraction. When I was visiting London, I left my big travel books in my hotel room and just took this book in my pocket. It was ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars I NEED A NEW ONE , MINE IS LOOKING TIRED AND BENT !!!!!, 5 Oct 2003
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
Of all the written info I aquired over the year I was planning our trip to London and there was heaps, this book was the best. It was used every day for the 3 months of nitty gritty planning of walks throughout London prior to departure. I pretty much knew my way around before I got there but it came with me anyway. On arrival it was the first thing we reached for when we got off the train from Heathrow and on departing 12 weeks later, we were still using it on our last day in town.
Clear precise colourful maps led us to all sorts of wonders we may never have come across without it. The information pages relating to places of interest and things to do were both historically informative and interesting. Each precis on the places listed encouraged us to visit them, simply by the excellent wording and noting the full address and contact number was most useful. Only a couple of places seemed to have changed their opening times since publication so it was well up to date.
Even with my poor eyesight the names of streets and places of interest on the maps were clear to read and the maps were clean and neat.
If you had to leave on a trip to London with only one piece of published info in your case this LONDON MAPGUIDE should be the one

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mapguide for London, EVER!, 31 Dec 2013
Kathryn L. Black (Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
This is the very best mapguide for London. I have several editions of this and would not go to London without it! It is much easier to navigate the tangled streets of London with this easy to read mapguide than it is using the more detailed A-Z maps. There is enough detail to get you where you're going, but it's cluttered with too much detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel agent, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
As a travel agent, I find this mapguide a great tool for visiting the city. It is just the right size for a pocket and contains all details any visitor or resident might require.
I frequently purchase this as a gift for my clients. They invariably return with pleasure at the way the guide helped them in their visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and Useful - I love using it, 3 July 2012
JUDITH (Corwen, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
I've had this map for a couple of years now and never go to London (about 3 times a year, for leisure) without it. For one thing the margins are big enough to hold your own notes. But mainly it is because it is so informative, easy to read and puts London in context. At a glance you can see where you are and what might be interesting around you. Amazing how they managed to get so much info in such a slim volume. And of course now it will slide into my Kindle sleeve too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 15 May 2012
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
A slim lightweight book with London broken down into maps of a usable size with all the tourist locations easy to spot and a street index at the back. Also has a tube map and brief information about the places to visit, in other words, THE LONDON MAPGUIDE is an essential item for sightseeing around London due to the easy-to-read maps, the street index, and the practical size and weight meaning it will fit in your handbag/rucksack and you won't even know it's there.

I used the DK Eyewtiness Travel Guide for my initial research and this book to hone in on locations and bundle together the places to visit each day. The London Mapguide is definitely the book to take with you on your trip, the Eyewitness book is far too bulky and heavy to pack and once you've decided where you want to go isn't needed for the trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars London Guide, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
This book is fantastic -- I bought a new copy since my old one has become tatty due to continual use. I also bought a copy for a friend who said she'd 'tried everywhere' to obtain a copy -- obviously not tried Amazon!. The map book is very clear and has so much information -- not just for visitors but great for those living in and around London.

5.0 out of 5 stars The London Mapguide, 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
This is an essential guide for anyone visiting London, I live here and always have it with me if I'm not sure how to get to places. It's easy to work out all sorts of routes by bus, tube and on foot, full of useful information, places of interest, shops, pubs and places to eat. Clear and concise. Everyone should have one! Paris and New York in the same series are equally good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best usable London Guide, 13 July 2011
A. Denham "Chris D" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
This guide is an absolute gem - I don't know why more people don't know about it. It isn't as available as it should be in the main book shops. I find the colour layout and the pictures of main places of interest make it really easy to use and to navigate around. I have lent my copy to numerous people; trouble is they like it so much I don't get it back. Hence my order from Amazon!

The London Mapguide
The London Mapguide by Michael Middleditch (Map - 31 Jan 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01