5.0 out of 5 stars Blair and Cherie seen from Ashby-on-Pandora
Published on 23 Feb. 2001 by Jacques COULARDEAU

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it me?
Published on 13 Mar. 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it me?, 13 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with any of the previous reviews. I tried hard to get into this book, as I loved the original Adrian Mole's Diary (Aged 13 3/4), but I just didn't find it funny! The only bit that I giggled at, was the thought of the 'New Dog' perched on top of the cushion that was too big for it's basket! I'm beginning to wonder if it's just my sense of humour that's failing. If that's the case, I apologise again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blair and Cherie seen from Ashby-on-Pandora, 23 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
Sue Townsend is a marvelous writer. With this character, Adrian Mole, that she has been following since his puberty, we have a funny, and satirical, yet very kind vision of England over the last thirty years. In this volume Adrian Mole suffers a loss of profession, a debut on Cable TV, a debut, with a ghost writer, in publishing, a divorce, a case of DNA-decided new son, and many other adventures, including the burning of his brand-new gift house. But the naivete and the apparent silliness of the character covers a deeper vision of society. The vision is this time very satirical, even if most of the time at a third or fourth level. He witnesses the arrival of Tony Blair and the first year or so of this new English politician. The man is new, the party is not, the solutions are not, just the man and the language, including a certain dimension of sexual innuendo to capture attention and obedience. Through the many pages of this diary, all kinds of typical English traits are presented, always defended, or nearly, but in such a way that we know there must be at least five tongues in ten cheeks. And that is probably the best aspect of this book. It is the tone of Laurence Sterne and his Sentimental Journey, though in this latter case France was at stake. But we have the same style and the same treatment of the matter. Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, Paris Universities II and IX.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger, Better, Vintage Mole!, 14 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
Fabulous! Everything said. The way that Sue Townsend portrays a thirty-something Capuccino aged person is marvellous. Brilliant storylines include the Great Mole-Braithwaite Partner Swop, his long lost son Glenn, to name but a few. Adrian still fits perfectly into his niche-long live Mr Mole. I can only hope the next book, A comic Novel is a sharply funny, mature and fantastic as Capuccino years is. Adrian may still be thirteen at heart, but he certainly appeals to a much wider audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 30 Jun. 2000
This was one of the best(if not the best),books in the whole series.Adrian is every bit as humourous as he has ever been.This book is guaranteed to have you howling with laughter within minutes.I was so gripped,i had to read the whole thing straight through from start to finish.Once i'd started it was impossible to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars As I have proved, this a great book for people of all ages., 13 April 2001
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
hello. I am a 13 year old boy living in Australia. Last year, a cousin of mine (we were both 12 at the time) introduced me to the Adrian Mole diaries. I instantly became wrapped up in it, and when I finally got my hands on the Cappuccino Years, I discovered it was the best Adrian Mole book yet.It's not a particulary long book in my opinion (I read it in two days) but it is still, in my opinion, the greatest book ever. I am absolutly praying that another Adrian Mole book is released in Australia. Adrian's employer is hilarious, as is Adrian's severe jealousy of Barry Kent, the skinhead poet. I have read the book 3 times, and I still laugh each time

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, 3 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my Christmas treat and I read it in two days - Sue Townsend is a wickedly funny lady. Like Bridget Jones, Adrians diary made me howl with laughter in places: Realising that Pandora's initials spell out P.L.E.B was the first of many such moments. Adrian is as daft and dim as they come but reading this diary I found myself feeling quite drawn to him. When he finally did acknowledge his son he gave him a home without (much) hesitation and Glenn's obvious devotion to his Dad says alot. A great read - I hope their's more to come

4.0 out of 5 stars Adrian Mole - Modern History, 11 Feb. 2004
W. Hesketh (Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
I would agree that, at first, the style of this book deviates from Adrian's first diaries in that the entries are really long-winded (and less funny), but perhaps that's deliberate (and that Townsend is showing Adrian trying to be more of a "writer", which he is renownedly crap at). It also coincides with a time in Adrian's life when he seems to have more time to write lengthy nonsense. Later in the diary, when he's more busy with "real life" tasks, his entries become shorter and more personally reflective (and therefore, more funny).
What I think is brilliant about these books is remembering the era I grew up in. Adrian, as always, chronicles current events in his diary: such as Princess Diana's death and the new Blair government coming to power, and makes statements about these events, thus recording history in a way that portrays, more than most, how the "ordinary person" viewed those times. It then becomes more like a discourse of modern history - which I think is great. It's like having a (modern) 'memories museum' in book format. Fantastic!
The Sunday Telegraph says it best - Townsend 'has held a mirror up to the nation and made us happy to laugh at what we see in it'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A progression of character, 2 April 2000
This review is from: Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Mass Market Paperback)
I must say that this book was one of the funniest I have read in a very long time. The humour just flows and flows. However, what impressed me most was how the characters have evolved. No longer is Adrian the spotty adolescent or the guy who forged a degree to get a job. Through each book Adrian and the other characters have grown as we have in reading. A facet which many other authors could employ. Well done Ms Townsend! Oh and who would have thought Nigel would become a gay Buddhist 'Next' delivery man?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 Jun. 2001
I first read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole many years ago, when I was very young. Too young to understand or appreciate it, so recently I re-read it. I discovered a masterpiece! As a result, I read all the following books, and this is one of the best! Reading about Adrian growing up was a real pleasure and it is a shame there are no more books after the Cappucino Years. The campaign for a follow up Adrian Mole novel from Sue Townsend starts here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Witty Stuff!!!!, 28 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
A Brilliant Book. Sue Townsend's Flare shines through in every page of this book. As well as being highly amusing, it has sentimental parts and enraging comments by Adrian's Counterparts. Some shocking new storylines, but all in all a fabulous triumph in the Diary Writing Section of Fiction. Damn, Bloomin' Marvellous.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years
Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years by Sue Townsend (Mass Market Paperback - 11 Aug. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01