5.0 out of 5 stars So funny and easy to read.
The first chapter of this book had be hooked. It is written in such a way that the narrator is talking to you and knows this is a book (being shown from the 'im finding this chapter very hard'). I must say that this is perhaps the easiest book I have ever read. The language is simple to follow and the sheer enjoyment the prose gave me to dead made this book...
Published on 28 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the back of the book mislead you...
Ok, when I read this book I really didn't get what I was expecting. In my opinion, the book is not about Mark's relationship with Barry, but about his last two years at school. The relationship between them certainly plays a part, but it is overshadowed by Mark's school life and experiences. Towards the end the relationship is the key theme, but I literally mean the...
Published on 17 Nov 2001 by tomcleonard@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable way to pass an afternoon, 24 Aug 2001
M. Foster (Warrington, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
While I enjoyed the book I didn't find it quite as enticing as some of the other reviewers did. It certainly was funny in places, well written and flowed nicely (I read it in a few hours) but I found many elements of the book annoying. The first was that Mark often told us something then finished with, "It may or may not have been true" or something to that effect. Argh! I didn't really think the dialogue was particularly realistic and is life really like that in British schools? I went to an American school so I don't know really, but I'm doubtful. As my husband went to an all boys school in Britain I may ask him to read the book and tell me if it is a realistic potrayal. The section where Mark and Barry travel around Europe seems pointless and the ending is really quite easy to guess. All in all, I would say to read this book if you have nothing else to read but it you do, put it aside for another day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Funny (the book not my review), 26 Nov 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this novel and it was read in a day. That is a good sign as I wanted to keep going with this book. My only wish is that it had been longer although it still would have to end eventually. Every so often I read a book and its one I never want to end because I have enjoyed it so much. This is one of those books. I laughed out loud several times while reading it and thought the story was wonderfully told. On the strenght of reading this novel I have now purchased Sutcliffe's two other novels. He is truly a writer with a true gift for storytelling. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a laugh. Our main character is a strange but likeable guy and it was a relief to read about someone more paranoid than me...this book is more than worth the money. Be brave take a risk and read this you won't be disappointed (well some of you might but only if you've lost your sense of humour)

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenage comedic angst, 12 Oct 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
This is my first William Sutcliffe book, but I shall be diving into Are You Experienced? straight away. Being a girl, I can't relate to a guy battling with his homosexual thoughts in an all boys school, but the themes are universal. Trying to find out who you are in your teens, and suppressing anything that might make you different to anyone else. The main character is very honest and whereas all the characters make mistakes, he is the only one that seems happy to admit them. From a comedy point of view, the anecdotes from school are very well outlined and you can't help regress and feel like giggling at the boys trying to give their teachers nervous breakdowns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now!, 10 Jun 2002
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
A truly excellent piece of fictional writing, combining prime examples of the type of pain and confusion experienced by so many during adolescence, with an excellent storyline complete with an inspired twist. Although the book does not adhere to the 'happy ending' of so many coming of age stories, neither does reality always result in happy endings, and the way the book ends, although surprising, is a credit to the authors' genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars clever narration, simple but subtle, 8 Mar 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
I did love the book very much, I read it through the night I started it, because I just couldn't stop; caused me a hard working day afterwards. I could identify so much with the narrator that it hurt each time he was behaving like an idiot. Speed and perspective of the narration are finely worked out, so I can truly recommend it. The fifth star misses out because the ending was a little disappointing, at least to me, since after all the wit and lightness I felt slapped into my face after this ending. Bit depressing, really, and a total change in mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow! definatly a read, 6 Jun 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
ok my english teacher is constantly telling us that some books should be dipped in glue to keep them in your hands and make you read them, this is not one of them. this is a really good example of modern literature. Sutcliffe has out done himself in this humerous tail of a friendship which developes and you feel apart of and then ends in an emotional way. the ending seemed a bit rushed and i personnaly wanted it to go the other way, read it to find out what i mean.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Boy, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
To be honest, this is not the kind of book I'd usually read. The lad-lit cover is fairly off-putting and when it was initially published in paperback the cover was more homo-erotic. I think both covers give the wrong impression about what the book is about. It's neither a silly book or an angsty 'gay' novel. This is a very funny book about being an adolescent which has well drawn characters. A good read that feels real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one, 31 Mar 1999
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
I thought "Are you Experienced?" was funny, and clever but this beats it hands down. Very tight writing, excellent character development - only ruined by the telegraphed ending which seemed a little bit of a cop out to me. I felt as if he got bored 30 pages from the end and just rushed ever so slightly what was otherwise an excellent book. Highlight - His "Bruno" nickname and how he got it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as being there, 22 Nov 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
Habs was a bloody funny place to be in the eighties. David Baddiel doing the sixth form review, Jay Rayner getting suspended for smoking pot and Sascha Baron Cohen still wearing shorts. A centuries old Christian institution in the process of being taken over by Jews - the public school equivalent of New York in the thirties. Unfortunately, Mr Sutcliffe didn't quite fit in. With his derivative book, he has taken some of the most well known stories of the time and claimed them as his own. C- Taffy Barling wants to see you in the SLT during first break to discuss a suitable punishment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Boy, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
Great read. Not often you get hold of a book that you don't want to put down. I found it very amusing, particularly the bit where the 'New Boy' introduced the other guy to his sister.
I was waiting for the two lads to ahve an affair - but of course it didn't happen and the other guy wwent straight and the 'New Boy' went off the track.

New Boy
New Boy by William Sutcliffe (Paperback - 4 Jun 1998)