5.0 out of 5 stars So funny and easy to read.
Published on 28 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the back of the book mislead you...
Published on 17 Nov 2001 by tomcleonard@hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny and easy to read., 28 Dec 2002
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
The first chapter of this book had be hooked. It is written in such a way that the narrator is talking to you and knows this is a book (being shown from the 'im finding this chapter very hard'). I must say that this is perhaps the easiest book I have ever read. The language is simple to follow and the sheer enjoyment the prose gave me to dead made this book unputdownable. Except, of course, for the moments in which I had to put the book down becuase I was crying from laughter (which happened several times). I suggest you buy this book NOW. And be prepared for painful sides.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest novels I have read!, 2 Aug 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
Totally brilliant! I read and loved the 'Love Hexagon' but somehow this surpasses it - it is more unusual. It may be set in a boys school, revolving around spotty adolescents discovering their sexuality but it's a book for everyone - whatever their age - because it is simply so hysterical. The humour is wicked, sometimes nasty, and neverending, often filthy (hilarious jokes on wanking into a milk bottle). The observations about life in a boys school are spot-on. The only let-down is that, unlike 'The Catcher in the Rye', there are no moving passages. It's too cynical for that. It also means it leaves you with a slightly empty feeling - as if Sutcliffe was far too afraid of approaching anything close to sentiment - or anything basically touching. But it's so funny, it doesn't matter - you will be in stitches!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Dec 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
i actually go to the same school as the author did, and every detail bout the coaches etc is true even now several years later,....its great!!and i guess it makes it that little bit more personal, but still, its a great read and i recommend it highly

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read! One of the funniest books I've ever read!, 8 Oct 2000
Adi Shtamberger "AdiTurbo" (Tel Aviv, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
Sutcliffe is one of the most original, fresh and interesting of the 'new' young British authors.His writing is natural, flowing and honest. His characters are totally believeable and easy-to-identify-with. I've read his 'Are You Experienced?' and LOVED it, and was not disasppointed by his first piece of fiction, as often happens to me with other writers. Wonderful, enjoyable read, DO NOT MISS!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny book, 13 April 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
This is an hilarious book, although it will only reach it's peak with you if you too went to a all-boys Independant day school. Having read it before 'Are You Experienced' the latter seems to borrow too much material and characterisation, but then why break from a winning format? Back to 'New Boy', it cringingly reminds you of how much of a muppet you were at school as you desperately struggled to overcome puberty and the ugliness it inflicted on you, while being certain everyone else was a regular Don Juan. The writing expertly mingles laughs with toe curlingly cringeworthy moments. You'll be able to pin the identity of every minor character on one of your mates or teachers. It is a very, very funny book; the bit where the kid offers the teacher a tenner to drown his sorrows is priceless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to School, 7 Jan 1999
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
I couldn't decide if I liked this book because I attended the same school as Sutcliffe, or just because it was simply an excellent book. It is written in an easy-to-read unpretentious style, and is short enough to read in an afternoon. He addresses most of the issues that concern adolescents, from sexual angst to pushy parents, and does so via the writer's relationship with new boy Barry. Well-recommended, but once again, perhaps I only enjoyed the book because it was a nostalgic trip back to school.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think this book has been misjudged by some..., 22 Aug 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
The vast majority of reviews here focus on the comedy elements of this book, but I think they have missed the point somewhat. 'New Boy' isn't fundamentally a comedy, it's the sad tale of a sexually confused adolescent losing his only one true love because he can't come to terms with his emotions and his homosexual tendancies. Ok so it contains a lot of laughs, but can anyone read this book and not feel pity for the main character as he sees others steal Barry away from him? Books such as this and Joseph Heller's 'Catch-22' can all to easily be labelled as plain comedies, but they often have a far more meaningful and inspirational subtext. While I would agree that the ending was somewhat rushed, and I wish it turned out the other way too, life isn't always like that, and if you will pardon the phrase, s**t happens! I admire Sutcliffe in a way for creating a slighty shocking, non-sentimental ending, but he really should have used more pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adrian mole meets South Parks - Very good, 24 Feb 2004
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
The politically incorrect thoughts of a sixth form Jewish Adrian Mole.
Ok, the narrator is a bit simpleminded sometimes and may not at all time be the best of choice as a friend but this makes a very good, funny, entertaining story; the end being at times touching.
It is not a gay novel, the caracter is just confused about is sexual identity, this is not the typical coming out story you could expect but all the better.
A rather unique book, I was very pleasantly surprised.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the back of the book mislead you..., 17 Nov 2001
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
Ok, when I read this book I really didn't get what I was expecting. In my opinion, the book is not about Mark's relationship with Barry, but about his last two years at school. The relationship between them certainly plays a part, but it is overshadowed by Mark's school life and experiences. Towards the end the relationship is the key theme, but I literally mean the last twenty pages. Whilst the book has been leading up to this turning point, it has only done so with the brief paragraph or sentance.
Don't get me wrong, this is an alright book, and i did find myself laughing out loud, but don't buy this book thinking it's going to be about the relationship between two boys, because its not...

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Funny (the book not my review), 26 Nov 2000
This review is from: New Boy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this novel and it was read in a day. That is a good sign as I wanted to keep going with this book. My only wish is that it had been longer although it still would have to end eventually. Every so often I read a book and its one I never want to end because I have enjoyed it so much. This is one of those books. I laughed out loud several times while reading it and thought the story was wonderfully told. On the strenght of reading this novel I have now purchased Sutcliffe's two other novels. He is truly a writer with a true gift for storytelling. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a laugh. Our main character is a strange but likeable guy and it was a relief to read about someone more paranoid than me...this book is more than worth the money. Be brave take a risk and read this you won't be disappointed (well some of you might but only if you've lost your sense of humour)

New Boy
New Boy by William Sutcliffe (Paperback - 4 Jun 1998)
6.99