Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on 4 April 2016
Truth to tell, I much preferred Lee's "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning", the sequel to "Cider With Rosie" telling of his epic journey on foot from Gloucestershire to London and right across Spain just before the Spanish Civil War. It's a grown up memoir of a young man's adventure.

"Cider With Rosie" is, by contrast, a sketchy, whimsical patchwork of childhood nostalgia. The content neatly packaged into short chapters relating various aspects of this rural, post World War I village idyll, filled out with thin anecdotes, at turns sentimental and proudly brutal.

The prose is burdened with a poetic embellishment reminiscent of Dylan Thomas's "Under Milk Wood", though not quite reaching those heights. It's just a little too pleased with itself for my taste. It's a scrapbook of rose-tinted reminiscences, experiments in prose. Lee did not expect this early work to prove his 'masterpiece', and I'm not sure it is.
on 1 December 2015
Like many people, I was required to read this book at school. Not having much interest at the time in reading, I didn't bother. I'm eventually catching up with all those books I should have read 30 years later, and I have, indeed, discovered some wonderful books.

This one, however, disappointed me. I just didn't like Lee's rather whimsical and ponderous writing style. Never mind - plenty of other books on my school reading lists...
on 13 October 2015
Very well written - beautiful descriptive prose - but so little actually happening in the story - I kept on reading in the hope that something interesting might be coming - sorry, just not my cup of tea!
on 4 May 2016
I found this book a bit disappointing. It was a quite pleasant collection of "musings". There did not seem to be any plot and it took me ages to read as there was nothing to get to grips with.
on 15 March 2015
Can't get into it!! sorry. Maybe I'll try later
on 25 June 2016
Interesting enough.
on 27 October 2015
It's OK but I am still reading the book. I preferred the TV version.
on 26 April 2015
A bit disappointing for a so called classic.
on 9 March 2013
Good in parts but overall quite boring
on 15 March 2013
I bought this book, knowing it to be a classic, for my wife who was brought up in Gloucestershire in the 1950's. We both found it difficult to get into; I persisted and finished the book. My wife gave up and never finished it. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic but I found the book disappointing.