5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Useful Book Ever
Published on 1 July 2004 by Booksthatmatter

Published on 10 Oct. 2009 by J. Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Useful Book Ever, 1 July 2004
This review is from: The New Penguin Cookery Book (Paperback)
Well - almost! I bought this in its first edition and it is in constant use. Jill Norman, Elizabeth David's editor and doyenne of the cookbook world, has produced a truly universal, basic reference cookbook which will be invaluable for cooks of any ability and confidence level. Its fool proof recipe's are classic and unfussy, technique information is faultless. It's not flashy or gimicky in any way, so if you've never made souffle, want a proper Christmas dinner, a simple soup or a glam dinner party dish, this should be your first port of call. It does what Nigella Lawson set out to do in How To Eat, another good book, but because of vastly superior, design, layout and structure Jill Norman's version really, really works. What is it they say? Every home should have one. That's it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Modern Cookery Bible, 6 May 2002
By A Customer
Every cookery book these days seems to claim to be the book of the year, the decade or all time, but i can unreservedly say, that if you are an ameteur cook who wants to cook a wide range of modern food but needs a spring board to inroduce you to new methods, ideas and cultures,then this is undoubtedly the only book for you.
Mrs Norman really does cover the entire range of cookery that any everyday cook could want, from traditional British favorites, through the range of modern European cookery as well as the most popular asian and world cuisine. This book is not based on trends and there is no heavy authorial bias, just straight forward, sound advice. Once you have got to grips with this book, you will have the confidence and experience to really get stuck into the more complex reciepts of the glossier modern writers. This book isn't about glamour, it is about cooking good food, something which it will enable anyone to do with assurance. This really is the Mrs Beeton's cookbook for our age... before you buy any other cookery book, buy this one, you won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Speaking as someone who has used the original Penguin Cookery book for years, 10 Oct. 2009
J. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Penguin Cookery Book (Paperback)
For the total newcomer to cookery, or for those of you who have never encountered the original Penguin Cookery book, this will be a good cookery bible with plenty of good advice and recipes for all occasions. For users of its predecessor this may prove more disappointing. Having taken up an interest in cooking about 20 years ago, I found the original Book a vital piece of equipment and a reliable friend! I have worn out two copies of it and it has provided the basis of all my cooking - I constantly refer back to it, even when creating my own recipes. I was looking forward to this newer edition. Yes, it does bring the approach to cooking up to date and has pictures, which is very welcome. It has broadened the range of dishes, methods and techniques, and I am particularly impressed with some of the sauces. However, I still prefer the old book for a number of things - eg roasting times and methods - they just work better and are failsafe! My personal preference is for recipes to be numbered, as in the old book, rather than being sent to a page number, but I guess I may be in the minority there. All my other cook books are sorted by page number, after all. This is a large, bulky and cumbersome paperback, although undoubtedly more attractive than its predecessor. I will use it, as I do all my cookbooks, but it's not going to be a firm favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best cookbook money can buy. (probably), 29 Aug. 2003
Peter Thornton (London) - See all my reviews
Until I bought this book I could cook, if that means making curry from a jar. Now I own this book I can bake cakes, make Thai curry from scratch and it all tastes good. But all cook books do this, true. However this book has so many recipes when compared to the books published by the celebrity chefs. It is also unpretentious, the majority of the ingredients are readily available from a normal supermarket, you don't have to traipse of to a market in the middle of no where to get the ingredients.
This book is ideal for begginers and more experienced cooks giving clear instructions to make food from so many different cultures including our own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 4 Sept. 2011
I wanted an electronic reference cookbook for reading on journeys etc. The objective being to be able to use dead-time to bone-up on unfamiliar techniques, perfect my current methods, and get some ideas for expanding my repertoire. After getting completely fed up with trawling through the user-contributed dross that infests cookery Web Sites, I decided the solution lay in a Kindle cookbook. My requirements were simple: a well-written, comprehensive, fairly modern, authoritative general cookbook with lots of technique and hundreds of recipes with variations and no, or few, pictures. Also, it had to be British, or European, - I like precise measurements - not the approximations intrinsic to different cup and spoon measures. Ideally, I would have liked the Larousse Gastronomique - but there is no e-version of that yet.

The New Penquin Cookery Book, fulfils all these objectives - almost. First, the good. Jill Norman certainly knows her stuff and has tons of experience in presenting cookery information to the best effect. Before getting this book, I hadn't really appreciated the reference potential of ebooks. It is brilliant to be able to search a whole book instantly for an ingredient, even when it has a good index, like this book does. Also, the book is littered with copious cross-references to, for example, other ways of doing things, alternative ingredients, suitable dressings and sauces, and so on. For example, an excellent haricot bean salad has a lemon juice vinaigrette - what's that? Click the link - make a batch - and hit the back button. The book is organised by food type, with appendices covering stores, equipment, glossary, and conversion charts. I will use the Fish chapter to indicate the comprehensive nature of this book. After a discussion on buying and storing fish, there is adequate detail on cleaning, filleting, scaling, and skinning various types of fish. This is followed by a presentation of cooking methods, and then the recipes, organised by type of fish. There are excellent recommendations for sauces and suggestions for serving.

So, why only four stars? All too-familiar technical deficiences of ebooks, I'm afraid. Essentially, the problem is that virtually all ebooks, so far as I can see, are not adequately proof-read. So, this book has a table of contents, but this does not come up with the TOC link in Kindle for PC (I haven't loaded the book onto my Kindle yet). The only hooks into the contents are Beginning and Location - and Beginning doesn't take you to the literal beginning of the book, but to the part after the TOC! Having said that, the TOC works well once you find it, and I have already mentioned the value of the comprehensively linked index and cross-references in situ. Also, there are a few minor formatting errors, like headings that have missed selection for formatting, for example. These issues should not be deal-breakers, and are best regarded as a minor irritant.

This is a very good book, and a very good transfer to ebook - almost perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, 13 April 2011
This book has been a constant point of reference for me in the kitchen. Timings, cuts of meat, cooking techniques and a marvellous variety of recipes have been on-hand whenever I've doubted my knowledge or skills. More accomplished cooks may not have need of such a thorough book, but to those who are still learning and who need something to fall back on, this book is a gem!

Easy to use and yet full of detail, this book has shown me how to treat ingredients with respect and to broaden my knowledge.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful kindle version, 24 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The New Penguin Cookery Book (Paperback)
I would give five stars for the paperback version - my favourite all-purpose reference book and NONE for the kindle version. How can you have a reference book with NO table of contents and NO index? Particularly since the kindle app on the iPad has an incredibly crude search function. Try searching on icing cake, for example.

I have my paperback copy at home and bought the kindle version for when travelling. It is useless. Most disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay cook book, 10 May 2009
Soul Lover (North East Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Penguin Cookery Book (Paperback)
This book is okay, but I was hoping it would be more like the original 'Penguin Cookery book' by Bee Nilson, which I brought in my first year at University back in 1974 - and which is now falling to bits!
My plan was to get a new copy to give to my daughter when she starts uni in September - I see there are second hand copies on Amazon so I may yet purchase the excellent original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers all bases, 13 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The New Penguin Cookery Book (Paperback)
A clear no-nonsense approach that covers all bases and would be ideal for the newbie house husband (if I'm at all typical of the species, that is). However, I do have a problem with the title as the book has nothing whatsoever to say on how to cook penguins, nor does it appear to be aimed at penguins as I have found that they mostly regurgitate their food no matter how well I prepare it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very detailed book. I think I would have ..., 5 Jan. 2015
A very detailed book. I think I would have preferred a proper book as I find using the Kindle as a cookery book quite uninspiring.

The New Penguin Cookery Book
The New Penguin Cookery Book by Jill Norman (Paperback - 30 Sept. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01