5.0 out of 5 stars A dramatic, comedic, and real look at friendship + love!
I'm a sucker for a romantic comedy, and after Bridget Jones's Diary, I became eager to read more books in that genre. When I picked up Bookends by Jane Green, I was looking for a light, fun read, but what I received was a novel that would not let me put it down. Bookends is hilarious, witty, and full of tension and drama, and characters that you will love...and some you...
Published on 10 Jan. 2004 by SisterDivas.org

2.0 out of 5 stars what happened
I have to say this is probably the worst jane green book I have read so far - I totally agree with the author reviewers about the book lacking depth - although I found it lacked story! I kept waiting and waiting for the main storyline to kick in and it didnt seem to happen! very disappointing as I have enjoyed all her other books
Published on 4 Jun. 2008 by Ms. S. King

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars i loved it, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
It's the story of a couple of young adults who met at the univ who were closed to each other. There are Cath , Portia , Josh, SI (the gay man of the group )and few others .They all do everything together .Cath and Portia are closed to each other even if they come from a different social back group .
One day all went wrong for the group when Portia went on a one night sex with Josh (who was truly in love with her) . And the day after she broke with him .Until then the group slip .oh I should say they slip from Portia .
About 10 years after while they are all settle in live, with great jobs, some are still in contact : Josh is now married to the wonderful Lucy, Cath is still single and Si tries to find the perfect Man .They are all inseparable.
Cath is still thinking of Portia and discovered while reading the newspapers that she has succeed In life. She wants to get in touch with her again as they split their friendship without explanation.
Lucy one day decide that it was time for her to change of job and to open a new business but she doesn't want to do it on her own and thinks Cath would be a perfect person to do it with .So after lots of decisions they decided to open bookends a bookshop and coffee shop .. there they met James the state agent for the sales .
By a coincidence, Cath found Portia's phone number and drop her a message . And Portia reenter in their life ..
Of course so much will happen in their life until they reunified . But I won't tell you all about the book ...
Will Portia would bring the mess as usual ? has she changed ?
Will Si found the love of his life ? How will it turn with his friends as he doesn't want to lost his friends too ?
Will bookends be successful ?
Will Cath finally find love too ?
Will all of them will stick together despite all the problems they will meet ?

I loved this book .It is lively and things move fast .The story is the one that everyone could dream with love hate illness happiness work ..it's easy to read and I was sticked to the book to see what was going to happen to this group of people ..the end is a little sad but finished on a good point ..
I love that book

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat bungled., 9 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
It's nice to see a concerted effort to depart from a blatant "Career Woman Seeks The One", enjoyable as the first three books were, but it's difficult to pull off a novel told by a fairly normal person when the characters she is surrounded by are larger than life and get far more interesting storylines. (Believe me, I've tried.) It's even harder when there is no dominant plot. Throughout the novel, the author tries to emphasise the importance of the return of Portia to the characters' lives, but the majority of the events have nothing to do with it. In fact, we can forget all about her for several chapters, while the bookshop opens and various other, mostly unconnected dramas unfold.
The characters are painted with varying degrees of success. Cath is easy enough to identify with, although she might have come across as more sympathetic if her reasons for not taking risks was a fear of an irredeemable loss of hope, rather than financial difficulty. Si is given enough depth to avoid the archetypal perpetually hilarious gay best friend syndrome. Josh and Lucy come across as realistic enough, and Portia remains suitably enigmatic, but Will is simply unbelievable (what can "inedible" be more polite than?) and the author / narrator continually insists that Ingrid Is Evil, without giving any real evidence. Daft tart, perhaps; fearful and loathsome, nay.
Of course, the novel is supposed to be an account of the characters growing and changing. The characters do grow and change, but this could have been done far better. Jane Green's smoother subplots came in "Straight Talking" (the continual just-as-my-relationship's-working-that-of-my-friend-goes-wrong scenario). In "Jemima J" there are a few that aren't followed up (namely the story of Ben's ex-girlfriend having no significance at all), and the Jules and Jamie marital problems in "Mr Maybe" have dodgy moments. Here, they all work, but have little connection. Realistic, perhaps, but nowhere near as satisfying as a clever, cataclysmic tangled web that could have been woven. Josh and Portia, for a start, disappear for half the book.
Nevertheless, while the sparkle seems to be a little lacking, moments of delightful wit are present, suspense is retained well, and the familiar page-turning quality is very much present. Flawed or otherwise, you care about the characters and won't be able to stop reading until all is resolved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good poolside/airport, 4 Aug. 2008
S. McBride "etoile76" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
If all you want is a simple 'comfort read' or something to read beside the pool on holiday, this should more than meet your needs. An uncomplicated little novel about a group of friends who met at university and are now in their early thirties. You may find they are quite chlicheed but I was still absorbed by them. I wept with them and laughed with them throughout the novel.

Don't be expecting anything 'high-brow' but if you enjoy the likes of Maeve Binchey, Marian Keyes, Sophie Kinsella and so on, I don't think you will find anything to object to in 'Bookends'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bookends., 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
'.... Whatever the answers, none of them could ever predict the outcome'. If only the same could be said for me who had worked out the outcome of the book by about quarter of the way through.

'Chicklit' through and through though (and please excuse me for being evasive here, I'm desperately trying to avoid a spoiler) the Si thread of the storyline stops it from being completely fluffy.

If you can get past how predictable the plot is, see beyond the stereotypical characters, two of whom could well have come straight from an episode of the American comedy Will and Grace, enjoy a pantomime-like 'will they/won't they' scenario, and an ending in which everyone ..... now that would be telling ..... then, like me, you might quite enjoy Bookends as an 'unthinking comfort read' perfect for these cold, dark nights.

The story of a group of thirty somethings who have been friends since their university days at the heart of which is Bookends, the business opened by friends Cath and Lucy. An aspect that could perhaps have been made more of. Not that it in any way impaired my enjoyment of the book but I certainly feel that the person responsible for writing the synopsis on the back cover missed something in not mentioning what is after all the dream of countless bibliophiles the world over.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper.
Bookends

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but don't agree, 22 July 2002
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Jane Green's previous books, I was looking forward to starting Bookends. However, I wasn't long into reading when I discovered that I wasn't at all gripped. I did enjoy the character/scene setting days at uni but felt that after this my interest in them wained and the script was slightly cliched. And, sorry but the 'surprise' ending, was no surprise whatsoever.
Bookends won't put me off reading future Jane Green books though and I hope to enjoy Babyville soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its no Bridget Jones, 20 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
Fairly disappointed with this one, although after having read the fantastic Bridget Jones books, I don't really think that anything else could match them. I found the characters of "Bookends" so one dimensional that I couldn't really care less what happened to them - Lucy was far too "goody goody" to be true it was almost sickening, and Portia wasn't quite naughty enough. I have heard that Jane Green's other novels are better, but I'd rather re-read Bridget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Green's best., 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
I'm a big Jane Green fan, and Bookends is an enoyable enough book. However it is not anywhere near as funny as say, Jemima J, or even Straight Talking. The book is based a lot on close friendships, which I liked, but some of the relationships between the characters were underdevelopped and a bit pointless eg. Portia and Si. I didn't really get that atll. Read it if you're already a fan but if you want to try Jane Green, I wouldn't start with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not her best, 6 July 2000
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
I've read all of Jane Green's books and enjoyed them all but this one is definitely at the bottom of the list. It's not a bad book and it was quite an enjoyable way to pass the day on holiday but it didn't have the same zing as her other books. Most of the characters bordered on annoying, especially Lucy and Si. Buy another Jane Green book before you read this one or you may not want to read any of them, which would be a shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I like it - Not sure?, 25 July 2000
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
I took this book on holiday with me as I thought it looked like it was an easy read and I was right. It started of with the great story line of two friends getting into business together but as you got towards the bulk of the book the story seemed to fade away and you just seemed to be reading it for something to happen. Despite this the final chapters and final storyline where superb if sad...........

2.0 out of 5 stars Bookends by Jane Green, 15 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Bookends (Paperback)
I bought this from a charity shop many years ago, and decided to read it only recently. The book is extremely easy to read - laid back and funny with characters that are memorable. The book overall wasn't terribly exciting or enthralling in any way. Pretty much all the "big shockers" in the whole book were easy to guess and even disappointingly clichéd, especially with Si and Portia. Even though you are meant to like Cath, I assume..., I can't help but be frustrated with her. Not just because of how reined in she is when there's the possibility of anything good and new, but even for jumping to so many stupid and unreasonable conclusions and not thinking that maybe she is wrong? I like that the book is about them meeting a friend who they lost touch with years ago - that idea was promising, but nothing interesting really happened despite all the drama the characters went through! (On a very superficial point, I absolutely love the design of the front cover of the book!) I'll not be reading this book again unfortunately, but I'd recommend it if you want something quick and easy to read in your spare time, like on a train journey!

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Bookends
Bookends by Jane Green (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2000)