4.0 out of 5 stars Once you get stuck in it's hard to get out
I finished this book about a month ago, while I was on holiday and I really enjoyed it. The different lives of the characters mean you're never bored with just one storyline, and every one is easy to relate to. The book is realistic, funny, sad in places (read with kleenex) and leaves you feeling that maybe the world isnt such a bad place after all. Although the...
Published on 4 Sep 2001 by michal_sheleg@excite.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do her talent justice...
Like many of the people who have reviewed the book, I am a huge fan of Marian Keyes. I have enjoyed her previous books immensely and have recommended them to everyone I can. I was very anxious to read Sushi for Beginners and couldn't wait for it to arrive from Amazon. I quickly dove into the book and liked the first 200-300 pages, but after that I felt like it dragged...
Published on 15 Jan 2001 by lckeating@yahoo.com

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to see it end, 21 May 2002
beachrunnerjkn@netscape.net (United States of America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
This was my first book by Marian Keyes, and now I want to run out and buy all of her books because I loved this one so much.
Keyes does an amazing job of pulling the reader into the story and into the characters lives. I felt like I knew every character in this book, and though I liked some and not others, I was sad to see them go. From start to finish I could not put this one down.
I was amazed how my feelings for the characters shifted as the complexities of each person was revealed. Just as each of them experienced a range of emotions, so did I. I loved the way the stories of everyone intertwined and unraveled as I turned the pages. And I loved the way this book ended -- It was all a complete surprise, and yet I was thrilled with how it all turned out.
Marian Keyes is in a class of her own when it comes to the new chick lit genre. She is a step above and this book will attract singletons and marrieds alike. I loved it and am going to miss all of the characters and their stories. I wouldn't mind seeing a follow up sequel! Thanks Marian for a fun, fulfilling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and very good read., 30 Jan 2002
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
This is my second Marian Keyes book and I now at the point where I need to read the rest of her books.
Lisa - What a pain the behind, from the start I wasn't to sure what I would think of her, but for most of the book I felt that she was just a bitter woman with a lot to deal with. She at times never seem to care about anyone or anything but her self. But towards the end my feelins for her changed, but she still was the same old way. I felt that she was never truly happy working at Colleen, but that she dealt with it as best she could.
Ashling - I felt a that the story revolved around her and her life. She is Little Miss Fix It, always carrying around her bag with bandages, tape and so forth. At times I felt that was a goody good. But her life never was too predictable, she was just happy to be back working for magazine doing what she liked. Her love life was one you read about all the time and sometimes seemed a little preditable, but somteimes it took a turn and changed. Her friendships with Joy and Ted were wonderful and her friendship with Clodagh was good, but it had it bad parts.
Clodagh - In my opinion she was a whiney woman, who was just out for herself. She lived what would be the good life to a lot people. She was married and had two kids. But in her world it wasn't good enough so she had to take things to the extreme and screw up a lot with her life and other peoples lives.
Overall this book was wonderful, I loved how the three charactors and all the supporting charactors acted and how there storys seem to come together at the end.
I can't wait to read more from Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
Such a good book, classic Marion Keyes, really get into the story and feel for the characters, pure escapism! This is the kind of book that you can't put down

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, bad version., 1 Feb 2012
I've always loved this story and I had to get it on Kindle, especially as it had been a while since I last read it. However, the second time around I found the Clodagh storyline really grating and Jack Devine a bit of an idiot.
However, the worst thing was the format itself. There are so many typographical errors! Tve instead of I've. hut instead of but. Really simple little things that annoy. It's a let down that such a big writer had her book copied so badly. Especially when the Kindle version is more expensive than paperback!

4.0 out of 5 stars clever title for a book., 19 Aug 2008
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
Ok, i wasnt sure about giving this book 3 or 4 stars, but i opted for 4 because the second half of the book was really good. The first half i wasnt sure of because i couldnt stand Lisa or Clodagh. And it was annoying reading their bits, although i loved Ashling all the way through! And Lisa improved greatly towards the end. But Clodagh was a vile pig of a woman. At least with Lisa you could sense a diferent, softer side to her even at her worst, but with Clodagh she was just out for what she could get, and i hated her.

Other brill characters are Joy and Ted, Jack Devine (lush lush!) Kelvin and Trix and Mrs Morley i think her name was, and the new character that came in when Mercedes left the office was hilarious, especially giving Mrs Morley Valium, i was laughing so much at that haha. I didnt like Marcus though. So childish and pathetic, i wanted to punch him, and i felt so sorry for Dylan towards the end of the book. Poor man.

Anyway, others have commented that she dealt with depression too flimsily. But i thought it was ok. You dont have to have something majorly drastic happen to you to be plunged into the black hole. I think Marian herself has dealt with depression so she should know. And the ending was just how i wanted it to be. This book isnt predictable at all, even though i knew who Ashling would end up with, i didnt guess what would happen in most of the other situations. I enjoyed it, not as much as 'Last Chance Saloon' or 'Watermelon' but it was still worth reading. i definately recommend it, just make sure you dont let Lisa and Clodagh get to you too much in the first half of the book!

Oh and, the title was brilliant once i understood what it meant, it was so fitting and romantic! It's just Sushi For Beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Top Book, 2 Oct 2001
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and I couldn't put it down.... It was totally absorbing and even though I din't like the characters much to start off with, but they grew on me - particularly Ashling who to start with was of no interest to me whatsoever. Its very funny, a bit bitchy and has some good twists and turns. This is the first book I have read by Marian Keyes and I am looking forward to reading the rest of them...

5.0 out of 5 stars a well though out cast of characters that keep you laughing, 24 Aug 2001
By A Customer
sushi follows in the style of other keyes books. i identified with every character and by the end of the book was very sad to say goodbye to my new friends. while there are no extraordinary events, keyes pushes the story forward with limitless twists and turns in her usual manner that surprises me everytime. a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i have ever read!, 8 Aug 2001
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down.The story is funny&so great for people who are nosy.You can read into 3women's lifes(they know each other)& c what they think about things&about each other!It is a sexy book which makes it even better,it's also very very funny,it gave me confidence the way Lisa went storming up 2a man& basically said u&me upstaires in your room now!It shows how women and men feel when they are married&it's great to know how 2deal with things.I was so upset when i finished it,i seemed to get close to the people in the book,like they were my friends. The story was brilliant, you are suprised at what happens!U start to read faster and faster to find out what happens!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 12 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sushi For Beginners (Hardcover)
This was the first of Marian Keyes' novels that I've read, unlike most, if not all, of the previous reviewers, so I had no basis of comparison with Ms Keyes' earlier work. I enjoyed reading "Sushi" (although not even the divine Jack could get me to eat raw fish!), and I'm definately going to be checking out Ms Keyes' previous novels.
"Sushi" is a greatly enjoyable summer/rainy day/bath read and you'll laugh, cry and get angry with the 3 women, Lisa, Aisling and Clodagh. I'd like to have seen the male characters filled out more, but overall it was great fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Marian Keyes is brilliant, 19 Mar 2001
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
I've read Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married and Last Chance Saloon, and loved them both. I borrowed this book from a friend, and loved it so much that I will buy my own copy as soon as I can

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

Sushi for Beginners
Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 14 Jun 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01