5.0 out of 5 stars New location - new themes - same inspiration
Published on 30 Oct 1999 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not quite up to the past books
Published on 19 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars New location - new themes - same inspiration, 30 Oct 1999
A wonderfully inspirational offering. Whenever I read Jan Karon's novels, I want to immerse myself in Faith and The Church (Episcopalian, Church of England, Church in Wales, whatever). This novel was a true delight as were the previous ones, and I didn't want it ever to end. There is no soft option; life can be hard and there is no easy answer. Father Tim has great trust in the Lord and through this trust comes solutions which suffice. But - to enjoy this novel and its predecessors - there is no requirement to be a "believer". They are soothing in themselves - and this is their great magic. Reading Jan Karon's novels soothes your soul, makes you want to be a better person, and this latest novel is no exception. The climate has changed, the small town characters are different (although the residents of Mitford are determinedly never far from our thoughts) but the message is the same - goodness and kindness will prevail - and who ever could want for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent story by Karon, 25 Jun 1999
By A Customer
The Mitford books, and now a Whitecap book, have been a surprising and wonderful stroll through a different layer of life than most people experience -- or at least take note of. A New Song continues a great tradition. Everybody knew from the beginning who took the bronze statue, but it was a very moving chapter when it was resolved, even if one is a little dumbfounded that Fr. Tim didn't figure out who took it. My questions: So is it in bk 6 or 7 that Lace and Dooley make it to the altar? Will Dooley's birth father be there? Will Buck punch him out? Will Morris be the organist? Will Fr. Tim be there, or will he (or Cynthia) have gone home (could we stand the poignancy)? Thanks for the great and fresh spiritual writing, Jan Karon. And thanks even more to my own mother, for sharing this series with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not quite up to the past books, 19 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I enjoyed A New Song --- but it just didn't come up to the standards of her previous stories. I couldn't follow the characters through the story -- found myself leafing back to refresh in my mind who they were. I did not connect with the characters in this book, as I did with the others. The story just seems to float along without much substance or "meat". I was just a bit disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A New Song"is another winner for Jan Karon!!, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
I am a relatively new fan of the "Mitford" series by Jan Karon. I was given the first three books as a birthday gift from a friend. It turned out to be my favorite gift! I love father Tim, Cynthia, Dooley, and all the wonderful characters in these books. "A New Song" is a real treat. I enjoyed meeting all the new characters and I really enjoyed the new setting(at the beach). Please continue the Mitford series for many more books. I am eagerly awaiting the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is, she has outdone herself!!, 30 April 1999
By A Customer
I had been counting the days until the release of the latest of Jan Karon's newest book in her Mitford series!! I was a little apprenhensive about Father Tim and Cynthia leaving the beloved town of Mitford, but I shouldn't have worried at all! If possible, I truly believe this is the best one of Jan's books yet!! I loved meeting all the new characters, and renewing my acquaintance with all the old ones!! My favorite character in this book is Morris Love, and I was so touched, how Father Tim reaches out to him!!
All, I can say is if you have not read this book, find it and sit down and enjoy one of the best books you will read in a very long time!!
Thank you Jan Karon for these truly touching, sweet, and inspirational books!!
Becky Carden, Anniston, Al.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jan Karon is a gifted, inspirational author!, 19 April 1999
By A Customer
One of the best chapters that I have ever read in any book is found in A New Song. I loved the entire book, but the chapter entitled Mighty Waters, brought me such joy. Father Tim and company, are very real to me. Of course I've read all of the Mitford Saga books, but the latest one is the best. I do have a question....A line on page 102 refers to "crocodiles" sunning themselves. Could this be an error? Doesn't Ms. Karon mean alligators? I don't believe that we have crocodiles in North America. If anyone can answer this question, please do.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mitford Novels, 8 July 2010
This review is from: A New Song (The Mitford years) (Paperback)
There are 8 books in this series, all beautifully written, all lovely stories. Once I picked up the book I could not put it down. Each book has 300 - 400 pages. Once you are introduced to the characters you feel they are friends and I wanted to know more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jan Karon has another winner., 2 Sep 1999
By A Customer
Another delightful adventure in the Mitford Saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot wait for Jan Karon's next book after A New Song!, 29 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Jan Karon's Mitford series are the best books I have ever read. I look foreward to her next one. Her characters seem real and feel like family to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change is Good; Change is Hard, 25 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Taking Cynthia and the Rector out of Mitford appears to be hard for many -- but some of the message seems to be that change is a natural and special part of life. Didn't the rector resist retirement? Don't we all resist change? Every Jan Karon book is inspirational and satisfying of some deep need in me. I made a gift of the set of earlier books to an elderly great aunt -- and she loves them too! Just sign me up to preorder any upcoming books.

A New Song (The Mitford years)
A New Song (The Mitford years) by Jan Karon (Paperback - 12 Feb 1999)
9.57