4.0 out of 5 stars Try it
Published on 27 Dec 2008 by Speed_King

2.0 out of 5 stars Super book but not for Kindle!
I wouldn't recommend this for Kindle! Even on the smallest size text you have to flick forward at least 5 pages to find the English translation, it's nearly quicker to have a dictionary to hand! Really disappointed as the book itself is very good and the translations are very well done, I gave up by the first page and have now had to buy the book itself.
Published on 13 April 2011 by KatieInIre

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Try it, 27 Dec 2008
This review is from: Italian Short Stories: Racconti Italiano (New Penguin Parallel Text Series) (Paperback)
When I opened the book at first I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew. I have been studying Italian for a few terms at evening class and regularly travel to Italy on business, but when I looked at the first story I couldn't understand a word. Then I flicked through the book and found a story that I could just about understand the first sentence of, and persevered with it. Gradually I have been able to understand every word and improve my vocabulary and grammar. The English translation is first class. It is not word for word - it translates Italian sayings and phrases into English equivalents. This will be a great help in improving my understanding of Italian, but it will require time and study.

One thing to bear in mind is that as these are stories they are nearly all in the past tense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, if lacking in taste..., 16 Nov 2003
DR D J Thomas "Occhi di falco" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a useful little book, well aimed at school-level students of written Italian. The stories are by well known names, some very famous (e.g. Primo Levi). As works of literature, they are not all particularly inspiring. However, if you have the stomach to read about the somewhat disgusting sex-lives of unclean peasants (as occurs in one story), then it is fine.
A strong point is the notes about idiomatic usages, some of which are very useful, and indeed illuminating about life in modern Italy. I can confirm the accuracy of these notes.
Recommendable, on the whole. Indeed, I hope that the author will continue, and give us further volumes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Super book but not for Kindle!, 13 April 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Not designed for kindle, 27 Nov 2012
Although the aim of this book - providing genuine literature for people learning Italian, rather than sometimes tedious purpose written readers - is much appreciated it is not easy to use on a kindle. A reformatted version allowing easier movement from the Italian to the English translation would be much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars twin text italian english book, 23 Mar 2014
Very good. Have been learning Italian and found that there is such a thing as a twin text book. I believe it will help me to read and learn a good word bank of Italian and this will help me progress in my language learning.

1.0 out of 5 stars great story collection but useless Kindle parallel text, 11 Sep 2013
S. Clark "Clarkfamily" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
A very nice selection of short stories by contemporary Italian authors. However, anyone wishing to use the Kindle parallel text to move quickly from Italian to English should not purchase this. Even worse, it is impossible to set Italian as your default dictionary to look up individual words. Please rethink what you mean by parallel text for foriegn language Kindle products and find a way of setting another language as a default dictionary. Wish i'd got the hard back version...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy!, 31 Jan 2013
Verdimad (Oakham, England) - See all my reviews
Although I've been studying Italian for several years and am familiar with 8 tenses, the idiomatic translations of this book make it quite difficult to understand. I already own a copy of the Da Vinci Code in both Italian and English and find this very much easier, even though it's written in the past historic.
Hopefully, things will become easier as I progress through the book. It has well-written stories but it's just a bit hard!

4.0 out of 5 stars buy the print edition, 2 Sep 2012
this is a very worthwhile book especially suited to the more confident student. however one must buy the paperback edition . this works out badly on kindle as you must have this in a traditional book in order to be able tk see the English -Italian parallel text, and to make margin notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great study aid, 29 Jan 2012
A very helpful way to get used to reading in Italian without getting too bogged down -- would highly recommend this for anyone with a basic understanding of the language who wants to expand vocabulary or speed up reading skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent selection of stories by various translators, 28 April 2011
This is, in my opinion, an excellent selection of short stories, I have only read the first two and quickly skimmed one or two of the others but I am confident that my practical knowledge of Italian will benefit from the variety of translators, some are quite literal while others are more poetic in their interpretation. I intend to buy more in the parallel text series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Italian Short Stories: Racconti Italiano (New Penguin Parallel Text Series)
6.29