5.0 out of 5 stars ROSIE was riveting
Published on 27 Aug 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing for Lamott Fans
After reading *Crooked Little Heart* (and all of Lamott's other books) I just had to go find *Rosie* and read it as a prequel.
Published on 6 Jun 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars ROSIE was riveting, 27 Aug 1999
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
feh to the armchair psychiatrists...ROSIE was just as absorbing and real as any of Lamott's work. It seems as though people bring a bulging satchel of unrelated subtext to these reviews...so I will stick to the book at hand. Lamott's characters as always are people you feel live next door, and that you would not run if you saw coming. Rae for example is almost exactly like my late stepmother; I would give anything to meet her and let her sly humor into my life....which is what I did when I read ROSIE. I guess I've read it two or there times, and each time I revel in its treasures.....the unlikely and gritty love story, the alcoholic dilemmas which Lamott faces square on, not sparing us the ghastly details. it made me want to drink less and like myself more, ROSIE. some books are equally well written but make one want to cataopult oneself from a tall building. Lamott's work is life-affirming, funny, and tangibly human. Thank you, Annie. The only thing sloppy about this book is the praise I feel: for that I do apologize. You deserve a more dignified fan, instead I jump up and down, waving chocolate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Hilarity, 17 Nov 1997
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
I picked up this book because I had read Bird by Bird and loved it. Lamott tells the truth especially if it hurts, and as a writer, I appreciate that. After reading her non-fiction, I was curious about her fiction, and happily, I came upon Rosie. As a novel, Rosie also tells the truth about life, love, selfishness, and learning to give. Beside the main characters, Rae is a fabulous character who reminds me of many women who just don't know how to say no to the men in their lives. In Rae and in all her characters, Lamott shows fabulous insight.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing for Lamott Fans, 6 Jun 1998
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
Astonishingly, however, *Rosie* has a vicious edge that left me feeling like a battered reader. It is undeniably well-written, but Lamott is so cruel to single women that it verges on self-abuse, and by extension, abuse of her audience.
Elizabeth Ferguson is a 38-year-old widow who falls desperately, achingly in love with James. Lamott makes Elizabeth seem like such a loser for being "nearly forty" and unmarried. For me (also 38) it was like getting punched every time Lamott is hard on Elizabeth, or on her friend Rae. Rather than identifying with either of them, I found myself wanting to protect them from Lamott's heartless prose.
Lamott wrote this when she was still drinking. *Crooked Litte Heart* was written when she was sober. The difference, to this reader, was so dramatic... a contrast between concrete and velvet, between a slap and a caress. While *Rosie* certainly sheds light on Lamott's earlier processes, it is tough going if you have any sensitivity at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I read all year., 7 Mar 1998
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
I read Crooked Little Heart first and loved it. I then read Rosie and was hooked. I immediately lent them to my l8 year old daughter, who passed it down to her l5 year old sister. Both of them absolutely loved these books and we're all hoping for a third in the series. Please write one, Ms. Lamott!

2.0 out of 5 stars and I'm a fan!, 24 Aug 1998
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
I loved two of the author's books: Bird by Bird, and the Journal of Her Son's First Year. In addition, I read her Salon articles. However, I could barely get through this book. I thought it was very self-indulgent, and Rosie is kind of an ordinary little kid but everyone keeps referring to how great she is. She's only 8 years old anyway-- not an appropriate age to hold my interest as a major character. This book made me think the author was basing the child on herself because there was so much emphasis on how wonderful the kid was. The good parts of the book involved Elizabeth and Rae going on a hike--I actually felt drawn into the story at that point. It passed. If you read this book and don't like it, keep trying. I found the author's non-fiction works to be everything her fiction wasn't here.

5.0 out of 5 stars very, very real, 3 Feb 1999
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
Anne Lamott has a gift for making her characters and their lives very real, very believable, and very familiar. If you're not put off by an honest, and sometimes cynical, look at life, it's not at all hard to be charmed by anne lamott's beautiful rendition of real people leading real lives that are sometimes endearing, sometimes heartbreaking, and often humorous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 1 Dec 1997
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
This is the first Anne Lamott book I read and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. I related to a lot of the relationships everyone had and the feelings they went through with these relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Beautiful!, 6 April 1998
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
I might be a little biased, by the fact that I love Anne Lamott more than anyone, but I still must say I loved this book. I fell in love with the characters, and am excited to read Crooked Little Heart!

2.0 out of 5 stars Like an Oprah book before there were Oprah books, 25 Jun 1999
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
Our book club selected this book because one of the members is a friend of Annie Lamott. Granted, Annie Lamott has a great deal of writing talent, but this book is not a good introduction to her work. Unfortunately, it falls into the genre of "women's fiction" identified by Laura Jamison in her review of The Pilot's Wife, a recent Oprah selection. These books have a certain sameness about them: they're built around a bourgeois romance and feature the most generic, "white-bread" characters. This one fits the description. Elizabeth, the main character, other than being an alcoholic, has very few identifiable character traits. The author contrives for her to be grieving for her dead husband to give her at least some excuse for her heavy drinking. So many of these Oprah books feature a woman in a state of obsessive grief as if this justifies their wallowing in victimhood and their complete self-indulgence. Also implied is the notion that the women's confession of poor behavior makes it okay and shows the woman to be extraordinarily honest. In my opinion, this is not literature! I keep getting persuaded into reading these stories of suburban housewives' problems, but essentially they're boring. Why should I care about someone's ability to conquer alcoholism or find a man? I congratulate Oprah for getting her public to read, but I just wish that she had better taste (except for Toni Morrison). So many of the women in these books seem so juvenile, dependent, self-centered, and humorless. In Rosie whatever humor there is comes from violating taboos or from description rather than any sense of irony or wit. I disagree with those who say that Lamott displays wisdom. Any wisdom is really "conventional wisdom" which is often based on cultural myth, rather than true knowledge. She can observe and describe quite well (as some of her essays in Salon magazine indicate). All in all, except for some talented writing, Rosie is an ordinary book.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll give Anne Lamott a second chance..., 25 May 1999
This review is from: Rosie: a Novel (Paperback)
"Rosie" had potential for being a great read. While I found the story line to be interesting, the filthy language and drug scenes were very distracting. How disturbing to think that someone would write a seemingly personal account of a mother-daughter relationship and think that her audience would accept this story as typical parenting. Even though many may be able to relate to the destructive affects of alcoholism and drugs in family relationships, I found "Rosie" to be a sad and disturbing story of covert emotional abuse. I would have accepted the theme if "Rosie" had been labeled an autobiography (was it?) but I found little value in it as a work of fiction. It should have come with a warning label.

Rosie: a Novel
Rosie: a Novel by Anne Lamott (Paperback - Jun 1997)
8.94