Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2002
Lauren Slater's tale of the rollercoaster ride of depression, recovery and relapse makes powerful reading. Filled with rich descriptions and frank disclosures about her life and experiences, it gives a unique perspective on depression. So often referred to by professionals as the 'common cold' of psychiatry, the true extent of devastation it inflicts on sufferers and their loved ones is revealed by the talented Ms Slater. No one could fail to be moved by the deep trauma, and sometimes refreshing humour, that brings this insightful epic to life.
on 6 December 1998
The transition from obsessive-compulsive disorder to a peacful life of shopping, falling in love and finding a job is told with poetry. I wanted much more, however. Slater skampers past very weighty issues with barely a nod. Perhaps the new life "lite" she enjoys with Prozac makes her unwilling as of yet to probe in much depth the problems and potentialities to which her remarkable experience speaks.
on 16 July 2004
I dunno if it's just dumb old me but I found this book quite complex to read. Lauren is very talented and it's excellent from a depressives point of view (If that makes sense). I was releaved to know that I'm not the only person that apparently defies medical studies by feeling the effects of Prozac within days or to have had the 'Prozac poop-out'!
on 24 November 1998
Lauren Slater writes with a hypnotic brilliance. She's one of those writers who can make any subject fascinating, and this one is particularly interesting to begin with: How much is our personality--our soul--a product of sheer biochemistry? I really loved this book. Snatches of it stayed with me for days.