5.0 out of 5 stars Penelop leach, your baby and child, thank goodness
Published on 3 Feb. 2004 by Jo House

3.0 out of 5 stars Book was showing signs of having been on a shelf ...
Book was showing signs of having been on a shelf for a long time. I was careless in my ordering not expecting to get such an old edition for the price I was paying. Caveat emptor!!! I should have been more careful about checking the date of the edition.
Published 8 months ago by Grant Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Penelop leach, your baby and child, thank goodness, 3 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Your Baby & Child (Paperback)
An excellent,informative, comforting, information-packed, friendly book. My baby bible. Penelope Leach's approach to childcare is both baby and parent-friendly. She is not for getting your baby to fit into a regime, or for having your life ruled by your child's demands, but for understanding your child's needs at different stages of development and finding ways of working together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice - but a few important omissions, 26 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Your Baby and Child (Paperback)
This is well-written detailed advice about how to cater to a child's various needs at different stages of infanthood. I have found it to be the most supportive and useful book about babycare so far.
The only quibble I have is that it talks only about the baby's needs, and says almost nothing about the parents' needs. It rather glosses over the very real problems that parents may have in the early weeks, of exhaustion. If, say, your child is not very adept at sucking and wants to nibble from your breasts every half hour without ever taking a proper feed or sleep then you won't be able to work out a solution from this book. Although Leach clearly does not advocate any kind of schedule, you suddenly realise about halfway through the book that she assumes that your baby gradually and naturally adopts a feeding pattern of five or six feeds a day and a fairly long sleep in the night. I'm lucky that my baby seems to be heading this way, but there are plenty of babies who don't. You might have a nervous breakdown if yours is one that doesn't and this is the only book you read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one childcare book, let it be this one!, 12 Oct. 2006
E. Barrett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Baby & Child (Paperback)
I adore this book. A friend bought it for me when I was expecting our first son. I remember being a bit daunted by the fact that there were 80 pages about breastfeeding and thinking, how can it possibly be that difficult. But of course by the time our son was a month old I'd probably read those 80 pages avidly, word for word. This has been our experience so many times with this book. Throughout so many different stages, it offers a really good overview of different ways of handling the 'challenges' of raising kids. But the best thing is that she helps you to make your own decisions. Penelope Leach clearly does have her own opinion about the best way of doing things, but she doesn't force it on you - which is a pretty rare thing when it comes to child-raising. The book is thus both a really good friend and an insight into how your child sees things. It's also a fun read, because you can get excited about all the fun stages you have to look forward to as your child grows up. We are now on baby number two and I have re-read some early parts of the book just as avidly as I did the first time, while still using the later parts of the book for our older son, since it covers children up to age five.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GODSEND, 3 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Your Baby & Child (Paperback)
I found Penelope Leach's book invaluable when my children were small. The youngest is now 10. I had no-one around to support or advise me, so I followed this book's advice word for word. It worked! While other people struggled with babies who wouldn't sleep, or grappled with trying to understand why the baby behaved in a certain way, I found this book helped me approach all difficulties in an easy to understand manner. I couldn't have done without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for mummys, 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Your Baby and Child (Paperback)
I have been working in the early years sector for the past 13 years and with the nature of my work I have to offer, guidance, advice, offer reading material and so on. There is SO much information and endless books out there for mothers/students/practitioners, but this book wins hands down, it does not force mothers into a strict routine which is unachievable it offers the best natural mothering approach with useful advice and basic info that we all know but never think about. I am now about to be a mother myself and although it is my job to know this stuff I still panic and worry if I will be able to provide the best care for my baby. After re-reading this book, it has helped to calm me, prepare me and reminded me how we all have that mothering instinct inside us. Lovely read.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book for parents, 20 April 2015
This review is from: Your Baby and Child (Paperback)
The book has been lent to us by a friend just before we got out kid. After reading a few chapters, we decided to get our own copy. Out of all the books that we saw, this one is the most comprehensible and inclusive.

One of the most likeable aspects is that it does not appear pushy. It informs you of the reasons for various behaviours, what you may expect, but in the end it does not say: "You need to do this and that", it clearly leaves the choice to you.

So far (1.5 years) the advice has been invaluable. And while we realise that every child is different and that maybe we have been blessed with an "unproblematic" child, we are certain that a lot of that is due to our upbringing.

Highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Book was showing signs of having been on a shelf ..., 3 Sept. 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe this woman is a leading child psychologist...!!!, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Your Baby and Child (Paperback)
"A leading child psychologist Penelope Leach suggests that it’s bad for under-5s to have a sleepover with a divorced dad. Do you agree?"

What an ignorant thing to say...It all depends on the Dad...If he's a known psychopath and registered donkey fondler with a thirst for crystal meth and industrial alcohol then by all means don't let the child sleep over...If he's a loving caring well adjusted chap then yes ,by all means. How a 'qualified 'person could make such a general sweeping statement like that and the enormous pain and anxiety it would generate in those fathers who want to be a part of their childs life,beggars belief.This person should never be allowed to advise anyone on anything ,ever,full stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all new parents., 30 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Your Baby and Child (Paperback)
Penelope Leach has written a book that is easy to understand, realistic and practical in the advice that it offers. I still find myself going back to it for guidance with my second baby.
Dr Leach writes beautifully and has a special knack for explaining things from a child's point of view. Also, the book only has pictures of "real" babies. Thus, they have a poignancy that would be lacking in staged photo shoots.
What I especially liked about this book are the hot topics of debate that appear throughout. Circumcision, a mother's anger at her baby, punishment and many other issues are presented. Sometimes the author takes a neutral stance and lets parents speak for themselves. At other times she makes it quite clear what she believes.
All in all, a very stimulating book. If you only buy one parenting book, this should be it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Your Baby and Child (Paperback)
Insightful read and helpful for a new mom. I'm learning a lot and seeing things through different eyes.

Your Baby and Child
Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach (Paperback - 30 Oct. 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01