5.0 out of 5 stars Closer to home than any book I've ever read
Published on 29 Oct 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Work it out for yourselves, fellas.
Published on 7 April 2011 by Todpete

5.0 out of 5 stars Closer to home than any book I've ever read, 29 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Letter to Daniel: Despatches from the Heart (BBC) (Paperback)
I read Fergal Keane's book & often put it down, not because it bored me, but because I had to have a good cry. I'm South African, have lived in Ireland & am currently in Asia for a while & Fergal's book spoke of the people in all these countries & continents with more understanding than I have ever encountered. It brought a lot of understanding to the emotions of all parties involved in the various conflicts & he writes with compassion, even understanding some situations that can never seem to be understood. There will be a story in this book that will touch you, deeply, no matter where you live.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my book of 1998, 12 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Fergal Keane sets out on a journey through Ireland , Asia and Africa. His reporting not only established a deeper understanding of the conflicts in these areas but also a real insight into his motivations. He writes as a father and a son and on his life as a BBC news reporter. He reveals in one short book his values for each in these roles. I laid the book down with not only a much better understanding of him , but of myself as well. News reporting could be one of the world's key occuaptions. These guys are the eyes and ears of all of us. But we are not often exposed to heartfelt reporting, being subjected to ever decreasing snippets of CNN speak. This book goes that extra mile, I empathised with his views and I shed a tear with him too. Truly an excellent book , I hope you get as much from it as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic and harrowing account of life in Rwanda, and Africa, 2 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Keane should be a poet. His combination of honesty, heartfelt emotion and detached observation creates an engaging book that cannot be put down. He is not afraid to look into the abyss of humanity and struggle to understand. From the horrors of genocide in Rwanda and aparteid in South Africa to reflection back home in Ireland Keane comes across as someone you want know and be with. I urge you to read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expand your mind, 13 April 2006
As with the other books I've read by this author, it never ceases to amaze me how little I know about what has gone on on this planet whilst I've been alive, let alone what happened before I arrived. Keane's straight from the heart stories astonish you - despite avidly following news and reading newspapers, you do not realise how many of the world's events just pass us all by. I have discovered some truly horrific things about the human race as well as some touching stories. Keane is a true storyteller as well as a journalist, and this book links the two styles of writing well. This book takes you from Rwanda to the old Yugoslavia with snippets from Keane's time here - moving, interesting and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this., 8 Nov 2007
Buy 2 copies- one for you to keep, and one for you to lend to everyone you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy writing, 1 Jun 2013
Nico (Australia) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed letters to Daniel enormously was a great book. Hardly uprising as anything Fergal Keane writes is top shelf. Found his recollections of his time working as a journalist in South-East Asia really interesting, in particular his work on Burma. As with all Keane books it is written with great compassion, insight and understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 Aug 2014
Great book and well written.

1.0 out of 5 stars Work it out for yourselves, fellas., 7 April 2011
Ach, this is a poor wee letter, we are told, from a hard working Irish fella to the son he misses so much on his bold and adventurous journeys abroad. Cue lots of strings, preferably on a Celtic harp. So what does he do on one of his rare home visits, lasting just a couple of days? Yes, that's right, he goes out big game fishing with the lads. For the whole day. No sign of Daniel there. I imagine someone else (probably female) is left with the child. There again, what do you expect from a man who has the nerve to allow a billboard poster about one of his books to describe him as "the world's greatest living journalist"? Are you reading this, Christiane Amanpour, Matthew Parris - not to mention the many thousands of journos out there who choose not to write in English from the comfort of a BBC studio?

Letter to Daniel: Despatches from the Heart (BBC)
Letter to Daniel: Despatches from the Heart (BBC) by Fergal Keane (Paperback - 18 Nov 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01