5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and unpretentious.
This book is one of the most useful I've come across - yes I am a student but I also cook from Nigel Slater's books! The recipes are inspiring, easily adaptable and don't need lots of expensive ingredients. Brilliant for those on a budget but if it tastes this good why pay more?
Published on 31 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars fine for students and other low-budget kitchens
Published on 15 Sep 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and unpretentious., 31 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Wolf in the Kitchen: Easy Food for Hungry People (Penguin cookery library) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars fine for students and other low-budget kitchens, 15 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This is quick and easy cooking- simple recipes simply laid out (with no pictures), firmly bound on good paper to survive living in a wolf's kitchen. A wolf is 'someone who is hungry, has a vast appetite and not much money.' Apparently, 'this book isn't like other first time cook books. And it's not like other student cook books.' but you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference. The big drawback to it is that wolves clearly don't count the calories. In fact, they aren't remotely concerned with healthy eating. We don't get a single mention of it here in 255 pages. If that's not a problem for you then this is the best student cookbook I've seen, and nicely priced. But if you've graduated onto, say, Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food and Nigella Lawson's How to Eat then you won't be hugely impressed. Perhaps try Lindsey Bareham's own previous book, Supper Won't Be Long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for students/beginners, 15 Oct 2006
S. Wallis "oboemania" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this book now for 5 years, ever since I started university (I've now graduated and have a proper job!), and the thing I like about it is that it combines tradtional favourites (bangers and mash, spag bol, omelettes etc.) with other more interesting dishes (eg. morrocan chicken, thai stir fry, risotto). Often well-known dishes are given a new twist, or made simpler (eg. 'cheat's' cassoulet, 'almost' carbonara), and I'm often inspired to try things that I never thought I'd like before.

Unlike a lot of beginners' cookbooks, I didn't find it patronising and annoyingly over-explanatory (I could actually cook before I left home), but at the same time the instructions are very clear and easy to understand, and it gives tips about what to do if you don't have expensive equipment like a food-processor. There is not a lot of posh/dinner party level cooking, but there is advice about how you can liven up your dinner, even if you only have a BLT or beans on toast. All in all, it's a good book to turn to if you've just come in from work and want something satisfying that won't take ages. I'd particualrly reccommend it to hungry male students (I credit it with converting my brother to proper cooking!) but also to anyone, male or female, who wants simple, tasty, unpretentious food.

Finally in response to the review which complained it's not got many healthy recipes, I'd agree it doesn't explicitly try to make the recipes healthy, but there are a good number of healthy recipes in there. I'm slightly confused about him/her then reccomending Nigel Slater - I wouldn't say he exactly counts the calories either!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy without being patronising and very tasty, 10 Jan 2005
I didn't buy this book as a student, merely as someone who doesn't always want to spend a fortune in time or money on dinner without having to resort to microwave meals. And I have to say I LOVE this book. Many of recipes have become stalwarts in my kitchen. Nothing is difficult or costly, but many of the dishes are impressive enough to serve up when cooking for friends. I have cooked from the Nigellas and Jamies of this world, but I still come back to this book time and again. If you want to eat good food every day, not just special occasions, this is an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars As useful as a sharp knife ..., 11 Oct 2012
Much better than basic food, foolproof recipes, designed for people who get hungry, want to eat, don't want to faff around, haven't got much money, like to experiment. No pictures, but when it's on the plate it looks right - no it isn't fine dining, but it's delicious, and if you don't like it you can try something else and not feel that you've failed. I have shelves of cookery books, but this is the one I keep coming back to for ideas, times, temperatures and reassurance.

4.0 out of 5 stars well fed wolf, 27 Sep 2009
This is a great no-nonsense book to have about the kitchen, both to cook from and to dip into at random for ideas of what to cook next.

A Wolf in the Kitchen: Easy Food for Hungry People (Penguin cookery library)
Used & New from: £0.01