4.0 out of 5 stars The Western makes a comeback
I read this a couple of years back. My sister bought it for me for Christmas - a most unlikely choice for her, and told me to read it. Finished it Boxing Day, and absolutely loved it. What better recommendation?

I'm no great authority on the genre. I enjoyed the gritty realism of Cormac McCarthy novels. This is much more in the great tradition of the Western...
Published on 11 Oct 2006 by Duncan Schwier

3.0 out of 5 stars An unusual and compelling tale set in the wild west.
This is the story of a woman's great faith in a hopeless siege situation, and the effect it had on those in her care, her attackers and a would be rescuer. It is well written and keeps you wanting to turn the page. It is however very violent, and the images stayed with me (but then I don't like violence). My other reservation is that the representation of American...
Published on 18 Mar 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 14 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - in fact I couldn't put it down! I would not normally be interested in reading a western but for some reason I picked this book up. I'm so glad I did. It's a very easy book to get into, it's exciting, gripping and you can't help but get involved with the characters. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough to see what would happen. As soon as I had finished this book I couldn't wait to get the other books by Thomas Eidson, but I'm sad to say none of them have matched up to this one (in my opinion!).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is is the best book I have read in years., 8 Dec 1999
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I was told at our reading class I would be reading a western! This is much more than a western. I found it compleatly absorbing. I could not wait to see how it finished. The characters were so real. Thomas Eidson is a great storyteller I'm glad I found him and am now reading everything he has written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story that you won't forget., 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
This is a wonderful story that you cannot fail to be touched by. An unusual western with unusual characters. One that will tug at your heart strings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great western novel, 19 April 2014
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
The prose in the novel is very sparing - you have to pause between paragraphs to absorb the story. The tale is earthy and unflinching. It portrays great cruelty and great compassion. The whole novel is reflective and moving.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual book, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I enjoyed its depiction of the power of faith, in an unusual setting of the desert and outback during the nineteenth century

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
One of my favourite books ever. Everyone I have recommended it to has loved it. I have read other Thomas Eidson books and enjoyed them, but this is by far and away the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant book, 11 May 2013
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I was hooked from the first paragraph which is unheard of. I expected to dislike the story as I am not a fan of Western's.Completely enthralling, thought provoking and a fantastic story. One of the best books I have ever read.
I read this book for a book club and it got 5/5 from every member!!

5.0 out of 5 stars best of thomas eidson novels, 5 May 2013
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
Read thsi one first. Was so impressed bought more of this writers novels. None as good. Bought it again as once more lent out and not returned this time. Like to dip into to enjoy the story at any point.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 May 2013
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
This was a choice for my book club. It's not the kind of book that I would normally read but I found it a gripping , well-written story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine writing but moral qualms., 4 Nov 2012
Bluecashmere. (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
This novel seems to me the product of an accomplished writer, who knows the world of which he writes and possesses a fine ear for language. He has powerful descriptive powers and with considerable skill can pace a narrative to hold our attention. It is, I imagine, a further tribute to his craft that despite the fact that it is clear that the general outcome will be a happy one, we are lulled into uncertainty and relish the suspense. In short he tells a rattling good yarn. Nonetheless, I have to admit to some serious reservations. There is no more than token conflict within Swanson; we know that he will stay and place his life in jeopardy for the children and the nuns. What is more disturbing is the mixture of sentimentality and the most brutal violence. The graphic dwelling upon the detail of Apache torture seems to me questionable and most probably gratuitous. In Cormac McCarthy's major novels there is sickening violence but never is it coupled with the cloying false feeling that Eidson seems to me to indulge here. Despite the stomach-churning sections, I have to confess to falling under the book's spell. Whether that says more of writer or reader I'm not sure.

St.Agnes' Stand
St.Agnes' Stand by Thomas Eidson (Paperback - 13 Feb 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01