4.0 out of 5 stars An very enjoyable and feelgood read
Peter Mayle's earlier books on his time in Provence have introduced us to a utopian world of sun, fine wine and cuisine, the quirks of provencal living and a number of interesting characters. What he does in Hotel Pastis is use this idyllic world as a background for the telling of what is generally a very uncomplicated but warm and cheerful story. We've all read those...
Published on 18 Dec. 2002 by Matthew Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best
I have read a number of Peter Mayle's books both novels and more autobiographical works, and I was slightly disappointed by Hotel Pastis. There is not much depth to the characters and it comes across as a wealthy Englishman complaining for however many pages about being so rich. The novel flits between a criminal gang's planned heist and the business and personal...
Published 22 months ago by Anna Dove

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, chauvinistic twaddle full of cliches, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
In truth I did not finish this book, it is so old-fashioned and chauvnisitic, full of awful cliches about Provencal life. I can imagine an older audience migth enjoy this, but as a mid-20s male, I found it unbelievably boring and predictable and frankly, just got more and more wound up the more I read. Unlikeable characters, unlikeable writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life's Story, 24 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
What a great and amusing writer Peter Mayle is. He combines a strong story with outrageous humour and by the end of the work I was disappointed that it had ended. I really love his work and can't think why I have only just come across this author. I was tempted to try him by an offer on Kindle and have been hooked ever since.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mayle but not his best, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy all Peter Mayle books but to me this was not his best. I could not take to the main character's restlessness. Setting the book in rural France was as always beautifully written.
My husband who tandem read with me loved every page and said it took him back to rural France and he loved the clever twist

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel good France, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book so much as I love the easy happy way it is written.We are often in that area of France so it all feels familiar. I felt I was there soaking up the sun,drinking the wine and enjoying delicious alfresco meals!! Keep up the good work and definitely keep the books coming.

4.0 out of 5 stars magnifique!, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
Another excellent read from the pen of Peter Mayle. Lots of twists to keep the pages turning. I would have liked a little more detail of the peripheral dénouement. However this did not detract in any way from the novel. If you like France don't put this one back on the shelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book at least six times and each time I am sorry when I have finished it. The characters are all very interesting but the main story line is exciting and the sub plot is an absolute hoot. Its gripping and thoroughly enjoyable. Best of all his books. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A virtual holiday, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
Read this in a few days when we had a spell of nice weather. It was great in many ways, but bad in others.

The good, just a lovely yarn about Provence and its many wonders.

The bad, sadly it will be many years before I can go and live there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising change, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
Having read Peter Mayles 'A Year in Provence' I was really expecting a story along the same lines. I've been reading this in my lunchbreak & have just discovered it's very different - a happy surprise. Looking forward to getting futher into it at lunchtime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read., 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
As a complete Francophile, I love this book and have read it many times. It so typifies the life style of southern France and many other areas too. The characters really come to life under the penmanship of Peter Mayle. definitely his best book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracking yarn., 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hotel Pastis (Kindle Edition)
A most enjoyable read. The two intertwined stories worked well and all my theories of the endings were blown out of the water.
Peter Mayle drew on his personal experiences to give it the true flavour of city life & rural France.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Hotel Pastis
Hotel Pastis by Peter Mayle (Paperback - 7 July 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01