4.0 out of 5 stars A haunting & lyrical journey into Nature & the human spirit
Published on 2 Aug. 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars I knew Opal Whiteley personally. Biography inaccruate.
Published on 11 Mar. 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars A haunting & lyrical journey into Nature & the human spirit, 2 Aug. 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow: The Mystical Nature of the Diary of Opal Whiteley (Paperback)
I was alternately enthralled and appalled by Opal Whiteley's life story. Her "explores" into the beauty and hardships of nature, as she so intelligently and sensitively recorded them at age 6, helped reconnect me to the magic of childhood. But nearly every diary entry also revealed the cruelty and coarseness forced upon this gifted child by her immediate family. My heart broke, time and again, over the complete lack of understanding she received--throughout the years. Hers was a life of promise laid waste by the dull and perhaps malicious minds that surrounded her at nearly every stage.
I hope that Hoff's second-hand information was accurate, and that before she died, Opal indeed knew about his book and was pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars What memories this book brings back!, 1 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
I read this book as a little girl growing up in rural Alaska. To this day I remember it as being the most magical book I had ever read. Opal and her friends, particularly "Jupiter", (although I didn't realize at the time he was a rat) became my friends too. If you want to encourage your child's imagination, I highly recommend this book. I'm so glad to see that it is available again in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Child's Mystically Beautiful Vision of Nature's Soul, 31 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
In a work of searingly connected natural vision, Opal Whitely reveals a nature only seen with the eyes of love. With her child's words of revelation canting several degrees from the world we've been desensitized into accepting, Opal's description of the world of her friends--trees and tiny animals with epic names--will leave you unable to ever again blithely ignore the life songs of the tiny, radiant creatures and plants all around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars An American Masterpiece, Mind Blowing Magic!, 9 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
From the time I opened the covers, I was altered by this book and the world around me has transformed as well. I think that Opal Whitely was the best writer that ever held a pencil in her fist while a doormouse slept in her petticoat. I am full of admiration for her insight and love of nature and I'm sometimes just as baffled by humans. A great book by a great teacher.

2.0 out of 5 stars I knew Opal Whiteley personally. Biography inaccruate., 11 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
To me, the diary of Opal Whiteley is truly a masterpiece of American primitive literature. However, I feel the Hoff biography is full of speculation and inaccuracies. Without a single footnote or source reference, he makes statements about her life and origins that are illogical and unprovable. I knew Opal personally for a decade, and knew people who knew he since the 1930's. Opal was never told about the Hoff book, as she would not have approved.