5.0 out of 5 stars An informed and absorbing explanation of Einsteins theories
Published on 17 Feb 2001 by Julian Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating
Published on 18 Jun 2009 by Mikidoli

5.0 out of 5 stars An informed and absorbing explanation of Einsteins theories, 17 Feb 2001
Julian Ward (Andover, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For those who would normally find Einstein's theories perplexing, or yawn inducing;read this book! The author has succeeded in communicating the genius of Einstein's theories and how they can be, and have been used to explain the universe. The book is arranged such that it is possible to read selected sections in isolation, covering theories on gravity, time, light etc and includes related history. The presentation and style are extremely readable and comprehensive, whilst not patronising to the novice reader. Typically many books on this subject fly to high or low of the mark leaving the reader either bored through over simplification or frustrated from 'techno babble'. The author has done a great job of inspiring and generating interest for the audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Interesting, If Still A Little Over My Head!, 6 Nov 2010
Dave Kinsella "Jesus First" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I'm a complete lay person, and I found the book extremely interesting. In a way I feel I was short changed in my own education as it seems I was given a Newtonian view of the universe as opposed to an Einsteinian view. I still find it very hard to get my head a round this view, and feel either the book does not do a good job of explaining gravity or it's so incredibly difficult that even the author hasn't fully got his head around it!

Still worth the read though in my own estimation. After this I' going to read Stephen Hawking's "A Briefer History of Time"

A Briefer History of Time

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 18 Jun 2009
I'm about half way in and struggling to understand the key ideas on gravity, time and light. He's started to say that nothing can travel faster than light without explanation. Too often he passes off descriptions of appearances as if they are reality and I can't believe this is failthful to Einstein. For example he says a spaceship travelling at light speed leaves a black hole behind it. That's like saying when I drive away from my house it shrinks. Without grasping the basics I'm going to have to find another read.

Einstein's Universe: Guide to the Theory of Relativity (Pelican)
Einstein's Universe: Guide to the Theory of Relativity (Pelican) by Nigel Calder (Paperback - 29 April 1982)
Used & New from: 0.01