4.0 out of 5 stars Spells out what your instincts are trying to tell you
Having spent the past year battling with contemporary opinion that babies need "controlled crying" and will be spoiled by "too much attention", it was wonderful to read that the constant carrying and cuddling I gave to my son was in fact what all babies need to thrive. Liedloff's decriptions of the South American people she stays with are fascinating,...
Published on 9 Aug. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,but not a 'bible'.
I read this book after reading 'Three in a bed' by Deborah Jackson, which I thoroughly enjoyed and found to be useful, sensible and well-informed. Yes, the core concept rings true...and it has certainly worked for my baby, but as other people have said here, flexibility is so important, and no, we don't live in the jungle! I have also heard that Leidloff has been slightly...
Published on 13 July 2001 by fionawallace@moadal.co.uk

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be on every parent's bookshelf., 14 April 1999
By A Customer
This book changed the way I viewed parenting. I was fortunate enough to read it shortly before the birth of my first child, and then I read it again, and then I got rid of the crib, baby swing, feeding chair--all "necessary" baby equipment, with the exception, of course, of the car seat. My son was in contact with a loving human (myself, my husband, or his grandparents) for about 95% of his pre-crawling life, including sharing our bed at night. (At two and a half, he is making a smooth transition to his own bed.) I received countless comments from other mothers about his quietness when in arms, and his general contentment which seemed to surpass that of their children. Aside from the terrific ideas presented in this book, the writing itself is highly readable and extremely interesting. I give this book to anyone I care about who is expecting. I am eternally grateful that my midwife loaned her worn copy to me. Vive Liedloff!

5.0 out of 5 stars revolutionary, 24 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
How I wish I had read this before I had my own child. I would unquestionably have tried out these revolutionary ap proaches. This is a book that every couple who is about to have a baby should read. Don't delay because it makes so much sense. I was able to lend a copy to a close friend just after she had given birth to her first child and she followed the advice in this book very carefully with highly benefical results. She has two children, a girl and a boy, both brought up with Liedloff's methods and they rarely cried, are very independent, confident and happy children. It goes to show that mother's down the ages don't necessarily know best!!!!!Liedloff has handed us the key to living in closer harmony with our children. Take them everywhere, let them feel when they are babies the warmth of their parents, the movement of being in the arms of their parents when they are walking, the confidence of knowing mum or dad is always around, sleep with them, cuddle them. Living in Italy as I do it is great to go out to restaurants at night and see the children all running round, not tucked up in boring old bed, but allowed to drop off when they want, secure in the knowledge that they are loved, wanted no matter where, no matter how because mum or dad's arms are only a few steps away.Let's break the conditioned mould and rethink all the ridiculous ways in which we have isolated our children in the past.Read Liedloff and it will change those old taboos for ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you knew but you had forgotten....., 3 Jun. 2009
Mrs. A. J. Ullah (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
If you know anyone who is expecting a baby & who is open minded, buy them this book as a gift BEFORE the baby is born.
I was fascinated by the content although somewhere in my psyche I knew the information before I read it.
A common sense approach to parenting & in my view the only Attachment Parenting book anyone will ever need.
Back to basics, wonderful, natural ideas for bringing up baby & developing a bond others will be in awe of :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to all prospective parents, 11 Sept. 2000
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff is without a doubt the one book I wish I had read before I gave birth to my son and I would recommend it to any prospective parents. It challenges all western civilised assumptions about rearing children and proposes that we could make things much easier if we simply obeyed our natural instincts. Liedloff is a psychotherapist who developed her Continuum Concept as a result of spending two years with the Yequana tribe in the South American jungle. She observed how they behaved towards each other and their childcare methods and concluded that we could learn a great deal from their example. Yequana babies are in constant contact with their mother or another person, being carried during the day and sleeping with the mother at night. In fact, as Liedloff describes it, childcare barely constitutes an activity in its own right. Adult Yequana continue with their usual activities and the babies are simply there, observing. As a result, Yequana babies grow into confident, independent children and relaxed, peaceful adults. Anyone involved in raising children will be amazed at the total contrast with civilised child-rearing norms. I for one, was profoundly moved by this book and motivated to change my own actions towards my son. Liedloff should not be ignored. However, The Continuum Concept is not an easy read. Liedloff's message is passionate and deeply disturbing. Her description of the experience of the baby put to sleep on its own in a cot is one of the most harrowing passages I have ever read, so be prepared.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, profound, important book., 4 Feb. 1998
By A Customer
This book is one of the most perceptive I have ever read, and has far-reaching implications for the study of human psychology. In fact, psychology, and the pursuit of happiness, etc., all fail to serve human beings unless they take into account the same human factors so eloquently discussed in this book. As John Holt said 'If the world could be saved by a book, this might be the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some things reasonate with our Inner Wisdom this is one of those things, 28 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I read this book about six and a half years ago as an expectant father. This book gave me more insight into the questions I had about life and what makes us tick than all the other self help books I read put together!

Remember Jean wrote this book as an anthropological work. Yet of course it speaks to parents so loudly as we all recognise the truth deep down.

My son was breast feed until two. We travelled with him when he was six months old in a van around Europe for four months and then spent six months in a ski resort. He is loving and confident. His self preservation instinct is very strong! He was allowed to learn about the environment with as little interference as we could manage. When he still put his finger in a candle flame after I had warned him he learnt the meaning of fire! Better a small burn then than a nasty accident which scarred him for life.

That for me is what Jean was describing in the book. Children being able to discover in the freedom of the relative safety of the village.

Reading this book will make your life harder to bear in many ways as we have strayed so far from our innate needs but the insights and wisdom you start to rediscover more than make up for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-loved classic, 19 July 2013
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I bought this copy as a gift for a new mother, having read it myself when my children were young, and found it both liberating and validating. I had gradually abandoned norms in child-rearing, intuitively moving towards caring gently for my babies (which I also found more convenient - bed-sharing meant I got more sleep and was only half-awake for night-time feeds, babywearing my 2nd child meant I was more available to my first in the early months) If you're looking for strict routine, baby-training or cry-it-out advice then this book is not for you! If, on the other hand, you want a gentle approach that gives the immediate result of a peaceful, calm and truly contented baby, then read this - it is an affirming description of tribal life, something we in industrialised countries have alot to learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Jean!, 18 Oct. 2003
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I read this book originally in 1977 when my 30 year-old son was 4 months old. I never again used a pram, cot, playpen or highchair. My other three children were born at home & reared the Continuum way - in fact I carried my toddler in a backpack when I was in labour - they are now aged 30 - 26 and despite many difficulties have grown into happy, healthy, pacifist & helpful adults with their own children - I don't knit so bought each of them sling of their choosing as a birth gift. They remember their childhood as happy & carefree - though I was divorced & then widowed befor the eldest was 10. I am SOOO thankful I found this book & learned how to break the terrible legacy of generations of abuse.

I met Jean a few times & arranged for her to come & talk to a group of parents. Very glad she wrote this book & I took it to heart..

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 29 April 2010
Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds "surfingbernard" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I think that this is a book which would benefit any parent or parent-to be. In it the author shows us that in Western countries most of us torture our infants by denying them their most basic need- human contact. We can see by looking at the behaviour of babies born to societies where babies are still carried and in constant contact with their parents that this is what babies both want and need and this book helps us to see how we can bring this concept of parenting into a Western lifestyle so our babies can be happier, more contented, cry a lot less and develop faster. Some may be upset when reading the book if they have been following the advice of mainstream 'parenting experts' as this book will tell you you have been torturing your baby, but if you can get past that it is well worth a look to get a radically different view of life with your baby which is less about trying to force a baby to fit in with a modern lifestyle which makes no sense to them and more about adapting your lifestyle to include a baby in a more organic way.

5.0 out of 5 stars All parents need to read this., 8 April 1998
By A Customer
I oftentimes puzzle over how the problems of the world could be solved. After reading "The Continuum Concept" I was struck by the comon sense contained within and realized if these ideas were put to use we may have a solution to many of the world's problems.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
The Continuum Concept (Arkana) by Jean Liedloff (Paperback - 23 Nov. 1989)