5.0 out of 5 stars Hold your baby!
Published on 26 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,but not a 'bible'.
Published on 13 July 2001 by fionawallace@moadal.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold your baby!, 26 April 1999
By A Customer
My husband and I read this book 9 years ago, before the birth of our son, and it spoke to our hearts. Employing the simple idea that a baby who starts life in the womb shouldn't be abruptly separated from the mother after birth, we maintained almost constant contact with him for the first few months. I was amazed at some of the resistance, resentment, even hostility, people sometimes demonstrated when informed that we slept with our newborn and never left him to cry. All their protests were based on nothing but groundless fears -- "You'll roll over and smother him! You'll 'spoil' him!" Etc. Well, he became naturally more and more independent and separate at his own pace, not an arbitrarily imposed one (that's the "continuum" part), and weaned himself from the breast at 11 months, rather than at a time decided by the "experts" or demands of employment. He is now 9 years old, and is a wonderful, happy, secure, well-adjusted boy, and I never cease getting compliments from everyone who meets him on how considerate, engaging, empathetic, kind, and well socialized he is. I credit Liedloff's book for all of this. If I could give one message to all would-be parents, I would say: Don't buy into the lie that material things are what's important to provide your child, and if you yourself are so wrapped up in financial gain that you won't temporarily sacrifice it to bond with him the first year of life, you're selling yourselves short. Invest the first 6 months to 1 year of his life raising him in your arms, and you will be giving him, and yourself, more than a billion dollars could ever buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spells out what your instincts are trying to tell you, 9 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
Having spent the past year battling with contemporary opinion that babies need "controlled crying" and will be spoiled by "too much attention", it was wonderful to read that the constant carrying and cuddling I gave to my son was in fact what all babies need to thrive. Liedloff's decriptions of the South American people she stays with are fascinating, and the attitude towards childcare refreshing. The only down side is that some of the language and attitudes are dated ("civilised" and "savages") and perhaps she takes the point a little too far into variations of adult behaviour. Having said that - this book should be read by anyone contemplating parenthood!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book all pregnant women should read, 12 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I read this book when my children were five and two, I wish I had read it when pregnant for the first time. Then maybe I wouldn't have suffered with chronic PND for eighteen months after the birth of my first child. I would've listened to my instincts, believed in myself and in evolution and not listened to such tyrants as Gina Ford with their strategies and baby boot camp training. Anyone would think that babies were an alien race trying to ruin our lives instead of the pure and innocent vulnerable babies that they have been since time began. Thank you Ms Leidloff for changing my life for the better. READ THIS BOOK and bin all the parent centred rubbish that fills the shelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 29 April 2010
Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds "surfingbernard" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I think that this is a book which would benefit any parent or parent-to be. In it the author shows us that in Western countries most of us torture our infants by denying them their most basic need- human contact. We can see by looking at the behaviour of babies born to societies where babies are still carried and in constant contact with their parents that this is what babies both want and need and this book helps us to see how we can bring this concept of parenting into a Western lifestyle so our babies can be happier, more contented, cry a lot less and develop faster. Some may be upset when reading the book if they have been following the advice of mainstream 'parenting experts' as this book will tell you you have been torturing your baby, but if you can get past that it is well worth a look to get a radically different view of life with your baby which is less about trying to force a baby to fit in with a modern lifestyle which makes no sense to them and more about adapting your lifestyle to include a baby in a more organic way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Less really is more, 6 Oct 2003
Ms. K. S. Rodgers "Karen Rodgers" (Cambridge, CAMBS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
This is the book I most wish I had read on leaving school; part adventure story, part philosophical treatise with many arresting, endearing and striking anecdotes it sets out with such burning clarity how our society creates the conditions for us to feel depressed, stressed and alienated. It is however, I feel, a very positive book and one I will come back to time and again; it explains how we can also achieve far greater happiness and harmony with others around us. It is a hymn to the quality of life,an illustration of the addictiveness and ultimate irrelevance of consumerism and an affirmation of the beauty and strength of the human spirit. Definately not to be confined to the shelves intended for prospective parents I would happliy give this book as a graduation present.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,but not a 'bible'., 13 July 2001
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
I read this book after reading 'Three in a bed' by Deborah Jackson, which I thoroughly enjoyed and found to be useful, sensible and well-informed. Yes, the core concept rings true...and it has certainly worked for my baby, but as other people have said here, flexibility is so important, and no, we don't live in the jungle! I have also heard that Leidloff has been slightly misleading in that, although the Yequana babies did not kill themselves playing with the knives that are 'lying around', she did neglect to mention that many of them are scarred.... Basically, it's worth reading, but use your instincts and remember you are bringing up your child in a totally different world to the one discussed here, although I do believe that babies thrive on this concept of parenting. Read Deborah Jackson to get a more realistic take on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Gives you the confident to go with your gut!, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
Please read this book before setting your child onto a routine, such as the Contented Baby Book. This book lets parents relax and enjoy their babies while not having to worry about routines or timings. You can wear your baby in a sling and get on with life and they will be happy to learn from the world around them. They do not need to be sleep trained, just let them sleep next to you and you will have a happy baby and more sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was touched by reading about my own childhood experiences, 17 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I am not a mother, but I am a doughter (26 years) and a human being. From this perspective I have the strong feeling that Jean Liedloff's findings touch the deep truth of our souls. I was an extremly difficult child for my parents to cope with. They had to get up about 10 times a night because laying alone in my bed I was screeming and vomitting. The doctor could only tell them that I was a nervous child. All my youth I lived with the belief that I was a difficult and somewhat bad child. After all, from what people would judge, I have developed into a quite decent person, anyhow. Nevertheless, I feel that Jean Liedloff's idea of holding a new born child and submitting unquestioned support and love by this, brought into action by my parents, would have saved my family a lot of stress and would have given me a much better basis for my live. Emotionally, I can remember the feeling of being left alone and I know that it still affects me in my life today. I don't know yet whether I should give the book to my mother, for she would hate herself for the way she treated me, although she always had the very best intentions. I only know that I am convinced about this way of being there for your children physically and that I will act in this way if ever I become a mother. All parents or future parents should read this book to at least be inspired to think over their ideas of parenthood. Living by Jean Liedloff's findings should not become a dogmatic rule but a support for a better direction in parenthood. What would probably be important to parents, I could imagine, is to be able to exchange their experience, to get practical hints (this is something the book could have focused on some more!), and generally to live in a society that respects and supports children and their parents more.

5.0 out of 5 stars whole-heartedly recommended, 14 April 2007
This review is from: The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)
The above reviewers who say, "...but we don't live in the jungle!" have either missed the author's point, or are choosing selective understanding in order not to have to accept what she asserts.

Yes, Liedloff lived with and studied a particular indigenous tribe in the jungle, but first and foremost she is a product of the late 20th century West, as are most of her readers. Her findings and suggestions are made with our real modern world in mind, and she is not a rose-tinted idealist or hippy.

I would recommend this book to anybody who senses that there is something amiss in our modern society. To anybody that feels there may be better ways we can live together than mutual mistrust, division and fear of whoever we consider 'the other', be it other cultures or our next door neighbours.

In answer to a co-reviewer of mine who states that "Liedloff fails to mention that many Yequana babies are scarred" (implying that they do in fact injure themselves... Well how many of us as 'children of modern society' reach adulthood unscarred, whether physically, mentally or emotionally?

Read this book with an open mind and heart, and you *will* find valuable food, even if you don't agree with her conclusions 100% or want to immediately put them into practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be on every parent's bookshelf., 14 April 1999
By A Customer
This book changed the way I viewed parenting. I was fortunate enough to read it shortly before the birth of my first child, and then I read it again, and then I got rid of the crib, baby swing, feeding chair--all "necessary" baby equipment, with the exception, of course, of the car seat. My son was in contact with a loving human (myself, my husband, or his grandparents) for about 95% of his pre-crawling life, including sharing our bed at night. (At two and a half, he is making a smooth transition to his own bed.) I received countless comments from other mothers about his quietness when in arms, and his general contentment which seemed to surpass that of their children. Aside from the terrific ideas presented in this book, the writing itself is highly readable and extremely interesting. I give this book to anyone I care about who is expecting. I am eternally grateful that my midwife loaned her worn copy to me. Vive Liedloff!

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
The Continuum Concept (Arkana) by Jean Liedloff (Paperback - 23 Nov 1989)
6.99