5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent MZB
Published on 3 Nov 2010 by J. Osborne

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Doom
Bradley is a fine author that I normally greatly enjoy, but I find this one of hers has little to recommend it. It is one of her very few novels that is classified as 'general fiction', though why it should so filed seems odd to me, as it is at least as much a fantasy set in historical times as her Mists of Avalon. It tells the story of the fall of Troy, complete with all...
Published on 28 Dec 2003 by Patrick Shepherd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent MZB, 3 Nov 2010
J. Osborne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is Marion Zimmer Bradley at her best. With many insights into the last days of Troy and the dynamics that led to its downfall, this is a fascinating description of many the famous characters of myth and legend - Kassandra, Paris, Helen, Achilles and Hector being just a few. A tale of the conflicts between a culture that reveres the strength of women and one that makes them mere consorts of powerful men. This is Kassandra's story and more. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I ever read!, 3 Jun 2000
abel barros baptista (2795-049 LINDA-A-VELHA, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firebrand (Paperback)
I read this book after the Mists of Avalon, and I though it was great! It captures our atention, and i loved the characters, specialy Cassandra. I think I can't never read another discription of Troy, without remembering this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was the best book I ever read!, 14 Feb 1999
This review is from: The Firebrand (Paperback)
I read "The Firebrand" as part of my classical studies class in school. I was expecting it to be a boring educational book but instead it was the most entertaining book I have ever read - and it was also educational because I ended up learning a lot about the fall of Troy. After reading the book I became interested in learning more about Cassandra and Troy and at the end of the year when we had to do a project for classical studies I did mine on Troy and Cassandra. But I would recommend this book to anyone - not just people interested in Ancient Greece. Anyone would enjoy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Alive, 7 Oct 1999
This review is from: The Firebrand (Paperback)
It is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!I had already read The Mists of Avalon, The Forests of Avalon and Lady of Avalon.Her books were so brilliant I wanted to read more.When I read this I couldent put it down. The changes of scene wre described so well that i thought i was there,it also gives a good picture of Kassandra.it has just enough romance in it to spice it up but its not a total soppy love story!it also goes against Homers by saying Kassandra lives after the fall of troy.Its a thrilling read i recomend it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!All MZB's are books are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars? Can't it be more??, 13 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Firebrand (Hardcover)
A must read. If you like legends and miths/mithology you will not be able to stop reading it. It is a big book but there is nothing borring about it. I know the legend of Troy, but I like this version even more! And it's not because a woman has the central role(Cassandra). It isn't a book about women, it's about power: Men,gods and goddesses fight over it. It is breathtaking, even if you know the legend, you wish that the end could be different!
A story about the fall of Troy and much, much more! I can't believe that this is the 1st review!! Read it, you'll find several stories in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An expatriated french reader, 11 Sep 1999
This review is from: The Firebrand (Paperback)
I picked up that book following my immoderate love for Greek Mythology. As soon as I began, MZB eagerly described such atmosphere, electric and unprevisible fate over the city of Troy. Cassandra vibrates with the fear and apprehension of her priestess powers and although the author has decided to change the outline of the legend, the book remains a source of unbelievable and fantastic energy. If you ever dreamt of giving a moment of life to all these greek Gods so much feared and loved by mortals, this book is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's very good!, 20 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Firebrand (Paperback)
I read this book after "The Mists of Avalon" and I thought it very good. The history is different, and it takes the very good parts of the legend, what is not easy... For that age, Kassandra was a very experienced woman and lived so harsh a life that she was the one who could see further than a war. It is good and I recommend gladly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great retelling of the Trojan War, 27 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This was the first MZB book I ever read, and it is still one of my favorites. With better characterization than most of her works, I found myself empathizing with Kassandra and others. It also wasn't as slow as The Mists of Avalon, and since I've read Virgil's Aeneid, which includes the Fall of Troy, it was interesting to see how close she came to the original text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kassandra's tale of Troy, 6 Dec 2007
Ms E. Exintaris "bibliophile" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firebrand (Paperback)
I'd read The Mists of Avalon years ago, and was looking to read more of her lovely fiction when I came across a greek edition of this. I immediately found it in English and ordered, and I must admit it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read. Being greek, I was brought up to know the stories surrounding Troy, the war, and have studied and read on the topic on my own as well. MZB's story does not adhere to Homer's story, but it does make for a much more plausible and human tale. Whether true or not, it is a beautiful story and should be read by those curious about what may have been and alternative interpretations of the old myths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable and enchanting, 4 Jan 2008
M. Brady "pvckitty" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firebrand (Paperback)
I read this book years ago - and I still recall the characters, the plot and details - that is how good it is. A graphic retelling of the fall of Troy from a different perspective - that of a cursed priestess striving to warn others. Not only does this book show life in Troy but that of the Amazons, nomad tribes with a culture that is truely unique. Some of the book is shocking, some horrific and graphic, it makes it so real - not for children to read I assure you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Firebrand
The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Paperback - 3 Feb 1994)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available