5.0 out of 5 stars READ this book!!!, 26 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
Red Dwarf has become a household name in Britain, everybody has at least heard of it. It is famed however for its many contradictions and errors in its continuity. In both INFINITY WELCOMES CAREFUL DRIVERS and BETTER than life, the writing partnership of Grant and Naylor got a chance to rewrite some of these early errors and produce a couplet of novels which stand out in their own right. The plot is still the same. One man lost alone in space, the human race by now exstinct, with only the comany of a senile computer, a creatture descended from cats, a nuerotic android, and a holographic recreation of the one man from existence who irritates you most for, company. But what Grant and Naylor have done is give their chatracters more flesh, more purpose, more HISTORY. A history we can relate to, and inbetween the moments of humour, largely based on the scripts from the first two seasons on BBC2, we really feel for the plight of Dave Lister trapped out in space all as the mysterious resolution of a monopoly board pub quiz. Rimmer too is more justified, and neurotic, but the difference is again that through the mediyum of novel we can get inside the mind of this characature more than before. Superbly funny. At times Dark. At times moving. And available in this addition with the bonus of the original beermat the plan was sketched on and two scripts WHAT MORE could you ask for? READ IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 years on I am still banned from taking it on holiday, 9 April 2011
Steve Armstrong "Steve Armstrong" (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Dwarf Omnibus: Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Paperback)
This is possibly the funniest book I have ever read!

As per the title I am banned from taking it on holiday as I can open the book anywhere and be laughing out loud in seconds. I have read this book over 30 times and it is still a classic piece of well written comedy.

I hope it is kindled soon, as I would like to sneak it away and retire my battered book soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dwarfing Heaven, 20 Dec. 2006
Adam N. Parker "ZakHX" (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have ever seen, and enjoyed, the surreal and cult classic Red Dwarf, this book is a must. The insane situations that the Lister, Rimmer, Cat, Holly (and later Kryten) get up to are quite simply hilarious on teh screen and the first book follows more or less the storyline of the first 3-4series. its promotes and expands on some of the storylines that could never had been suitable televised in the late 80s & ealry 90s like Rimmers capitalist empire and listers original story. i simply could not put the omnibus down and have read it time after time.

for fans of: red dwarf (obviously), hitch-hikers guide, other rob grant books (imcompetance and colony... both worth a look) and life in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red dwarf - an oldie but a goodie, 3 Mar. 2006
Ms. C. A. Smedley "cheif_gelf_rd" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
straight from the writers of the hit SCI-FI show Red Dwarf. This book, written by Rob Grant and Doug naylor (Grant Naylor),has to be the perfect additon to any dwarfers' collection.
the majourity of the 1st book 'Infinity welcomes careful drivers' ties up many of the loose ends the early seires' (1-4/5) failed to cover/broadcast such as what ever happend to all those other Cats? where as the 2nd book 'Better than life' continues the journey of Lister and co In the literacy world as well as tieing up someof the issues in the Later series'(5/6 -8/7) and provideing connections to the other books 'Backwards and 'Last human'.
this is a Fantastic book a must for any Dwarf Fan, like myself,and all the Grant Naylor books are 'un-put-downable...' !! Read it, Read it now! you will not be dissapointed. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, 28 Nov. 2010
J. Cook (southeastern USA) - See all my reviews
Having watched all the shows I bought the book. I would say I was pleasantly surpried but I wasn't. I expected the book to be even better and was not disappointed. I chuckled all the way through this gem. I have reread it a few times since and still enjoy it. A must read for anyone that loves Red Dwarf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then T.V!!, 17 April 2004
By A Customer
I wanted to read the Red Dwarf books, and I hoped they'd be a funny as the tv series. I was wrong, they were even funnier. Every page is fantastic, well written and extremely humourous. I read it in under 2 days, becuase you left on a cliffhanger on every chapter end. Its got one of the best endings i've ever read and I won't spoil it for you, to find out what happens, read it, you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grant and Naylor are true genuises, 19 Dec. 2001
irishoasisfreak@yahoo.com (Ballymoney, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is my all time favourite fiction book. I cannot begin to describe how funny it is! I just think that no one except Rob Grant and Doug Naylor could EVER come up with characters like Lister, Holly, Cat, Kryten and Rimmer. The whole series of books and television episodes are works of art. I..... I..... I just can't say anymore, I just can't describe how great these books are. All I can say really is, anyone who doesn't like the books is a smeghead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Red Dwarf fans, 5 Nov. 2008
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Unusually I've never been a particular fan of TV Red Dwarf.
The show always seemed to fall into formula latterly, basically they'd leave the ship, discover something engage in some slapstick and head home.

However the books are a different matter - these are the classic two writer books and are much superior to the later Backwards/ Last Human books.

So basically the plot is that a motley crew of a revived human, a hologram of a dead man, a super-evolved cat and a sanitation droid (robot) try to pick their way through an decrepit universe. The comedy is mainly of the Odd Couple type with Rimmer and Lister at each others throats.
The books are highly inventive and very readable, not actually laugh out loud funny for me, but excellent sci-fi comedy.

This is a two book set and well worth buying if you're either a sci-fi or a comedy fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars If i could give 6 stars I would, 10 Jan. 2011
Absolutely fantastic Sci-fi, I'm a massive fan of the series but this book took all of the comedy, interesting ideas and hilarious characters of the series and somehow turned them into a beautifully written, laugh-out-loud funny piece of science fiction with surprising emotional depth.

If you love the TV series then you'll love how this book explores the characters' emotions and motivations far more than anything on TV ever could. You also find out much more about their past, from how the cat came to exist to how lister ended up on Red Dwarf to why rimmer really is just a confused smeg head!

I read this mainly on the bus to work and actually laughed out loud several times.

Even if you don't like the canned laughter filled, don't-take-it-so-seriously TV series, BUY THIS BOOK! you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FUNNIEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!, 13 Jun. 2004
I must have read this book about ten times and I never get bored of it. The gags come at you fast and furious, the story is well written, Lister reminds me of my brother, Rimmer reminds me of someone in my maths class when I was at school many moons ago. But the show is well and truly stolen by the talking toaster who cracks me up completely. One minute he is making "toastie products" and the next he is discussing quantum physics with Holly the senile computer and lecturing the crew how to escape a black hole. Trust me, buy this book and start laughing. Once you start reading, laughing won't be difficult, believe me. It got so bad at one point that I almost demanded a sedative from a doctor.

Red Dwarf Omnibus: Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers &  Better Than Life