5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling
Published on 12 Dec. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not swept away by this eccentric tale
Cornwell writes great books about strong, almost chauvinistic, men in difficult situations. In the case of Sharpe these characteristics are acceptable as he is in a war situation 200 years ago. But what if this character was transported into the modern era?

'Stormchild' answers this question and by page 50 you soon discover that the character feels like a fish...
Published on 10 July 2006 by Sam Tyler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 12 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Stormchild (Paperback)
Couldn't agree less with the other, negative reviews. A great read for the armchair sailor. This is a ripping yarn, and probably my favourite of the four Cornwell novels with sailing themes (Wildtrack, Sea Lord, Crackdown). Wish he'd write some more. The only comparable modern sailing thrillers I've read are those of Warwick Collins' Challenge trilogy (also highly recommended if you can get hold of them).

4.0 out of 5 stars A grim and tight thriller., 18 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Stormchild (Paperback)
Well, I was a bit surprised by the other reviews I read of this book. I found it to be an interesting account of how different personalities can meet and find common ground, with a good bit of action thrown in. I found the main female character to be eccentric but with VERY strong principles - and definitely no large breasts - and the narrator a flawed but likeable man. If I had to compare this with Cornwell's other books, I would say it is a more mature story than the Sharpe series - I won't compare it with the Warlord Chronicles, because NO book can stand that comparison!
If you want to read a modern-day adventure tale, pick this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sailing thriller, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Stormchild (Paperback)
I love reading books set around sailing, especially military or thriller stories. Sometimes, however, when I pick up a new book I still get a little apprehensive that the narrative will slowly become bogged down in dry and irrelevent descriptions of rigging and manoeuvres. This book, as one would expect of something penned by Bernard Cornwell, manages to avoid these pitfalls. The book revolves around the plot, not the sailing. There is still some excellent descriptive sections about the sailing, but without the overly technical passages which haunt some similar books. There are, of course, sailing terms used, but the strength is that it adds to the tone which the sailing aspects of the book set.

As for the rest of the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it - finishing it off in less than two days... The prose was fast-paced and encourages the reader to keep turning the pages, always wanting to know what's next and if there is another twist in the works. The early stages of the book nicely provide some character backgrounds which helps the reader to feel a connection with all the characters, and to some extent, feel a tinge of pity for the main characters eternal optimism.

Overall, a very good page-turner. Not a piece of literary genius, but, for its sheer un-put-downable-ness, it's a good 9/10 from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A provoking read, 30 Sept. 2007
RJ Norris "Ray Norris" (Woodbridge, Suffolk. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stormchild (Paperback)
Love it or hate it this book definitly gets a reaction. It is a book that touches a nerve as can be seen in many of the other reviews, no one wants to accept that family hatred could go this far. I believe that this is Bernards' best 'stand alone' novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Cornwell, 29 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Stormchild (Paperback)
As an avid reader of Sharpe as well as Cornwell's many other novels, I looked forward to reading this one. And I was not disappointed. I once had the pleasure of meeting the author, and on that occasion he proved to be a speaker and raconteur 'par excellence'.

As for 'Stormchild', I found the plot to be riveting, if a little far-fetched in places, and the pace of the book, especially in its latter pages, to be gripping. As always, the characters were a little wooden, but the rest of the action made up for that. What I especially liked were some of the descriptive passages - though I am no sailor myself - the seascapes were especially well crafted. Magnificent prose.

I note some of the criticisms of other reviewers, but have to say, for me, this was a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless (apart from some lazy editing), 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Stormchild (Kindle Edition)
I very rarely rate a book five stars but if anyone is going to get them it's always likely to be Cornwell. Great plot, strong characters and a denoument that leaves you (or left me anyway) breathless; this book has everything. Sadly the Kindle version has some very lazy editing but that's hardly Bernard's fault so he gets a big 5!

Here's something odd though. This is the second of his sailing books that I've read. The first had me thinking of Robert Goddard and this felt like an Alistair McLean (nothing wrong with that)! I think it's because I associate Cornwell with historical stuff but it's very disconcerting nontheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Novel full of twists and turns, 16 April 2010
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stormchild (Paperback)
I keep using the term "ripping yarn" to describe Bernard Cornwell's stand alone books - and this is no exception to the rule. It brings together all the good aspects of an excellent thriller - the calm before the storm; missing children; exploiting, Green action groups; It takes us through uncharted seas, quite literally, around the southern most tip of South America. You can feel the cold and wet! Maybe you have to be a sailor to appreciate it, but its a long time since I paddled around the yacht basin in Chichester and I loved it. Stormchild

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow burn with explosive finish, 2 Jun. 2013
Stephen Watters (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stormchild (Kindle Edition)
This, I have to admit, was a purchase from reading the paperback. I have to admit it was as addictive this time as previously. I was hooked from the start and wanted to read what happened next, your memory plays tricks on you and the expectation actually raised the tension.
This is, in my opinion, one of Cornwell's best. It has all the elements you could want in a sea story. It is all the better for being a 'closed' story with no follow-up.
Read Sea Lord for another dose of thrill and chance at sea.

5.0 out of 5 stars All at Sea but not seasick!, 18 Nov. 2012
J. Harries (Munich, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stormchild (Kindle Edition)
Cornwell's sailing based stories are a real delight. Good, old fashioned thriller advernture stories where the hero is larger than life but almost believeable at the same time. For me, Cornwell evokes a desire to take the place of the hero. His nautical knowledge and Devon geography is good and, as ever, his descriptive powers second to none. The only problem now is that I have read all of his "sea" books. Come on Bernard.... time to write another and bring back one of your heroes :)

5.0 out of 5 stars stormchild......exhausting!, 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Stormchild (Kindle Edition)
As an avid fan of Bernard Cornwell I have always seen him to be a great historical author and only came across Stormchild by accident a few months ago. This is one of four stand alone novels about modern times written earlier in his career. Each book is a sea adventure and it is easy to see that this is his great passion. His detailed technical sailing knowledge and the vividly descriptive journey around Cape Horn left me exhausted. Bravo Bernard Cornwell, another masterpiece!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Stormchild
Stormchild by Bernard Cornwell (Paperback - 2 Nov. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01