5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Rice with Balls
I love vampire fiction but despise the flowery and stereotypical stories of Anne Rice. This is an utterly fantastic novel which I read every month or so, usually in one sitting.
Its an original spin on the vampire myth with characters so completley depicted that you react strongly to them, loving some, hating others, idolising many.
It covers the interaction...
Published on 15 Feb. 2002 by JSB

2.0 out of 5 stars I believe I'm the minority
Well, I have to say I am shocked at the 5* reviews on this book. The writing was fab the characters were captivating but overall, it was plain odd .... and not in a good way!

We have incestuous parents and children, toothless vampires(!!) and vile blood sucking scenes all wrapped up in the tale of a drunken rapist.

Before I go on, i love vampires in...
Published on 12 Aug. 2010 by Paula Pernickity

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Rice with Balls, 15 Feb. 2002
JSB (Essex, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
It covers the interaction between two small town best friends and musicians; the debauchery of three punk vampires; an ancient and lonely vampire from the French Quater and a lonesome, jaded young boy who always knew he was more than he seemed to be. In all this you get love, violence, mystery, incest, voodoo, witch craft and more.
It is harshly beautiful and written asthough Brite speaks straight into your mind, and I defy anyone, gay straight or androgenous not to laugh out loud, cry and fall totally in love with at least one character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing startling and intense!!!, 15 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
Poppy Z.Brite's Lost Souls is an amazing piece of literature. This book was on my course reading list and to be honest at first i struggled to pick it up. But once i had I simply could not put it down! Its dark, mysterious and often very graphic at times.
I would say however that many male readers (Like my boyfriend did) would struggle with the extremely graphic descriptions of sexual acts between many of the male characters but if you are a lover of intense gothic horror then this is the book for you, delve deep into the world Brite conjours up for the imagination and above all enjoy...just try not to be eating your tea at certain points!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brite strides boldly where Anne Rice fears to tread, 21 Aug. 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
Lost Souls, Poppy Z. Brite's first novel, may be shockingly perverse to those not already immersed in the darker waters of fiction and life, but with its lurid omnisexuality wrapped in a blood-encased poultice of horror, it stands as a mesmerizing achievement, lending ever newer blood to the world of vampirology. While some may chide Brite's vampires for being so awfully unlike the debonair charmer Count Dracula or even the grossly disfigured Nosferatu, herein actually lies the strength of the novel. In Brite's world, good and evil do not exist, and if they do, they are oftentimes quite difficult to tell apart. There is not one character in this entire novel who is even within earshot of the bells of Normality, no one whom in all truth could be called a hero in the traditional sense. This is a world encased in darkness; even the sunlight filters through halfheartedly, as if it realizes it is just fooling itself when it pretends it can wash away the darkness with its feeble rays of light. The characters are exquisite yet deeply tainted, some by blood, some by drink and drugs, and some by the shiftier shadows that like to entomb the mind of man insidiously and secretly.
If nothing else, one cannot say these characters are forgettable. We first meet Christian, a centuries-old vampire running a bar in New Orleans. One Mardi Gras night, a trio of his brethren come into the bar and entrance him with their modern ways of dalliance, unrestrained pleasure-seeking, and vitality. Christian is both literally and figuratively cold and dead inside, but the vampire trio are electric and unrestrained. Twig and Molochai are almost childlike in their recklessness, but Zilla is something special. His mysterious chartreuse-enlivened eyes do all but breathe fire through their entrancingly hypnotic gazes. A young girl in the bar that night falls under Zilla's spell, and many months after Zilla and his friends have left New Orleans, a baby is born. The baby grows up in Maryland, knowing he is different from everyone else; his name is Nothing, and at fifteen he sets off on a journey of self-discovery. His first destination is Missing Mile, North Carolina, home of the underground musical group Lost Souls?, but he meets up, as if by fate, with Zilla's band of marauding vampires and finds the family he has been aching for all his life. He and Zilla share their bodies as well as their feasts of blood, and Nothing has little trouble adjusting to the life he knows he was born to lead; he is a vampire. Steve and Ghost, the members of Lost Souls?, enter the picture because of Nothing's strong identification with their music. Ghost is the most remarkable character in the novel, a young man blessed with a gift of seeing into the minds of others, both alive and dead; his gift can be a curse at times, though, because he knows the pain of everyone. Steve is his best friend, a perpetual drunk with a bad temper that caused him to lose the one girl he had ever loved. All the roads of each character meet in Missing Mile, and the events and tragedies set in motion lead the reader from there back to New Orleans, ending in a climax I found remarkably well done.
Poppy Z. Brite is something of an acquired taste. The sexuality of her characters is strikingly extreme, and Zilla's band of vampires are particularly uncaring in their choice of partners; the life essence can be found in a fluid other than blood, and these creatures of the night delight in sharing themselves with each other as they race through life on a perpetual search for kicks. Drug abuse runs rampant among everyone in these pages, and the act of rape is consigned to one of those who comes closest to being a good guy. As disturbing as the intense erotic aspect of Brite's writing may be, however, it lies at the core of her vampiric creations. Zilla and his gang have no morals, no code of honor, no feelings whatsoever; there is not a trace of immorality found among them because they are completely amoral. Brite raises the world of vampirism out of its traditional trappings, and therein lies the magic that sets Brite apart as a shockingly new, amazingly effective voice in modern horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Age Of Horror, 13 May 2004
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
I bought lost souls? a second before catching a plane to cyprus by the time i had touched down i had read the book and didnt put it down for my entire holiday re-reading it and learning it by heart. By the time i arrived home i expected to see the characters zillah , moloki and twig in my local pub , nothing wandering around with the other children from my neighbourhood and ghost and steve jamming up my local night-spot which previewed upcoming local bands regulary. I fell in love with the characters thanks to Brite's amazing description of each and everyone of her characters , her description on the incest relationship between nothing and his father gripped me the way a 15 year old boy could be so in touch with his sexuality yet know nothing about it and the way steve and ghost show us that what may seem like an innocent friendship could really harbour sexual feelings made me wonder about my own feelings. Poppy catches the magic of what she knows and injects it into the reader using her characters. An extremly enjoyable book which reached all my emotions on a different level.

5.0 out of 5 stars transcending all I ever imagined..., 20 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
Almost lost for words here.. The most beautiful book I have perhaps ever read. Poppy Z.Brite writes like no other. It's near overwhelming. Occasionally dreamlike, often all too real, the novel is painful to read in places. Concerning love and self-sacrifice, the loss of innocence in the often incomprehensible world we have all found ourselves in, it is all to easy to believe. Sometimes I walk down the street and see the vampires looking back at me... It all depends on your point of view. Read. Cry, like I did and do every time I re-read it.Then go and read 'Drawing Blood'. There is beauty here beyond our understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars forget about the'Sparkely vampires!', 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
This has to be the best book I have read in a looong time! My favourite vampire novelist used to be Anne Rice,until her characters became...emotional..Poppy Zebrite on the other hand, writes both beautifully and poetically dark...Her imagery and ideas are so vivid, that it will leave you thinking about it long after you have closed the book..There is no teenage romance in this book, it is hardcore, with both lovable and hatable characters that can be so cruel. It makes them more believable . She is the first auther to make a vampire sound so very real, there are no capes,fangs or gentlemany vampires, they are pretty much like the people you bump into in the street. This book is not for the faint hearted, you have to be already broad minded to appreciate this book...also I have to warn you..don't read it if you are planning or already pregnant!! because several grusome scenes in this book will make you slightly paranoid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved & Shared, 28 Jan. 2008
Mrs. A. Kurs "Rae Louise" (Liverpool, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
I was first given this book by a friend who had fallen in love with it and thought that due to my love of things dark & homoerotic I would too- she was definitely right to think so. She opened up her book on her most favourite page and passed it to me and I was immediately seduced by the language, pulled into the shadows to exist beside Nothing and truly feel every moment of his unimaginable new life. My copy is now dogeared, crumpled, faded and tear stained (not to mention signed by some of my most favourite rockstars), not because I've been carless, but because I love it so much and have taken it with me everywhere.

I have always loved vampires but never quite found my niche in horror literature, but this book is different- it's unique and leans not towards things that go creak in the night but instead to emotion and need and magic. The horror comes not from the filed fangs of the vampires but from the way they steal Nothing's innocence and the new life they present to him. Cold blooded murder, carnal lust and incest.

This book is not frightening but beautiful and sexual and magical. Each of my friends in turn bought the book because, as outcasts with a love for things that knock most people sick, or simply pass them by, we can connect with it and become a part of it as we read. It wouldn't be far fecthed to say we, like Nothing, long to be a part of the world of the three punk vampires and their road tripping, drug taking existence.

This book isn't for the more conservative reader, or those that like their vampires traditional (Dracula Zillah most certainly isn't), but for teenagers on the brink of freedom, with a love for a slightly wild way of living; rock music, alcohol, midnight and bloodlust, this is perfect. This books drips not only with blood but also with true love, tears and voodoo. It is captivating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! What else can I say?, 26 April 2002
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
When I was given a loan of this book to read I agreed to reading it due to the vampiric story line. There was that, and I also heard these vampires listened to Bauhaus's version of Ziggy Stardust, my favourite song at the time. But wow! I was really naive if I thought that was all it contained. The story was even more poignant to myself, with the main character a young Goth trying to find himself and his sexuality. Unfortunately I never ended up travelling around the American south with gorgeous vampires and drinking Chartreuse. Yet every time I read the book I did. I fell in love with nearlly every one of the characters and at the end was buying a plane ticket to New Orleans until I realised I couldn't afford the train fare to the airport. The one thing I love about this book is that although I have changed from the person I was when I first read it, every time I open that book and read about Nothing, Zillah et al, it all comes back. Thankfully it wasn't the parrallels with my own life that made me enjoy it so much, after reading Poppy's other books I realised that it's the magic she weaves with her pen that manages to capture you and hold you until you realise you've read the book in one night, only to leave you feeling disappointed that you didn't read it over a length of time in order to prolonge your time with the characters. Excellent book, even if you do finish it in a night you'll turn right back to the front and read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book in the history of avant-garde gay fiction?, 18 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
Poppy Z. Brite is a genius. This, her first novel, positively sparkles with wit, ingenuity and charm. Characteristations that are so spot on, it can be at times a painful read, play out in an intricately woven love story, where the fact that the characters are (a) gay and (b) mostly vampires is sublimated by the sheer pathos of the printed word. This book makes me cry every time I read it, if only to wonder why my own life doesn't more closely resemble this book. Equally enthralling is Poppy's second novel 'Drawing Blood'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 5 May 2002
This review is from: Lost Souls (Paperback)
I don't think I have read a more beautifull book. The emotion for each of the character is just heartbreaking. Brite write in a way that makes you fall completely in love with everything about the book. I warn you though, it best to have a box of tissues while reading this book.

Lost Souls
Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (Paperback - 24 Feb. 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01