on 6 June 2003
this is one of my all time favourites. it takes me straight back to a time when life was simple, kids could play freely and the sun never stopped shining. the larkins are loud and noisy, but hugely loving and generous, and the world would be a better place with more people like them.
on 4 July 2009
I have read this collection of stories many times. The t.v.series was good but not a patch on the books. Whenever I need cheering up I reach for this book as every line makes me smile. I was born in the early 50s in a completely different part of the world from that occupied by the Larkins but so many things in my childhood are echoed in these stories. I know some people say it's all too good to be true but for many people, life really was like that - earthy,loving and happy
on 8 November 2011
A superb book bringing together all of the Larkin novels, each one a pure joy to read from start to finish. This particluar volume is becoming quite hard to find, though a few do crop up on online auction sites now and again.

If you loved the ITV series, then you'll adore the stories - they're even better!
on 3 May 2011
In answer to an earlier reviewer, this book was lent to me by a friend who says that HE Bates, an uncle, based his Larkin stories on her family. It truly was this idyllic and chaotic she says!
I missed the tv series, and am glad I did, as I can't imagine it being able to capture the luscious prose of the books and the gloriously uninhibited exploits of this wonderful family! I cannot say how very much I have enjoyed these stories. They are truly magical, conjuring up a more earthy, yet more innocent time; a time of pastoral, robust, devil-may-care lustiness. Read and enjoy!
on 2 October 2013
Fabulous book. The Larkin family bring an almost innocent and simple take on life. Cleverly written, Pop Larkin is audacious in his antics. Couldn't put the book down once I started reading it. Heartwarming and funny. Had me laughing outloud.
on 11 February 2013
having seen all the darling buds on tv i was keen to read the original ideas from the book.i was not dissapointed ,it was a lovely read couldn`t put it down..try it you`ll love it too.Such a shame H E Bates didn`t write a follow up.
on 25 August 2013
my book arrived as promised It was not new but was as described a good clean copy. It was very reasonable and I am enjoying it very much.Thank you it saved me many hours trying to track down this book.
on 12 February 2014
Seen the series thought I would read the books, stories are pretty well foloowed in the series. Enjoyable read and it takes you back to those sunny afternoons seen on the tv.
on 12 November 2011
Excellent book even though I watched the tv series I still enjoyed all the stories by H E Bates the price and service as usual were superb Cannot fault Amazon Thanks
on 8 September 2012
definitely a book for an idle moment.highly entertaining.the colourful characters seen on the television really come to life.nothing educational but most amusing.