5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bloody brilliant!
I've been struggling to get my head around the concepts underlying statistics and always started getting confused when weird equations get thrown in all over the place. This book has transformed in an afternoon my understanding of statistics and the way in which this major influence in large areas of study and life actually works.
If you struggle with statistics...
Published on 27 Aug. 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointing
having read the other reviews i was hoping for alot more than i saw. beening an a level student, i expected terms such as the binomial and poisson to be in the book, but they weren't there. i couldn't find them in there. to all those who want this to aid a level study, there isn't much use at all to this book.
Published on 26 Oct. 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bloody brilliant!, 27 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Statistics without Tears: An Introduction for Non-Mathematicians (Penguin Science) (Paperback)
If you struggle with statistics but need to know and understand the principles of how they work this book will really, really help.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent intro, 3 Feb. 2006
Ducky (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're not at ease with stats, this is the book for you. It takes you right from the very beginning, covering all the things you'd like to know but felt too self-conscious to ask about. Questions intersperse the text so that you can test yourself and make sure you've understood the material. The style is friendly and engaging without being patronising -you really get the impression that Rowntree genuinely wants you to develop a good understanding and love of statistics. It’s actually an enjoyable read!
Not for those wanting a book covering advanced statistics, but an excellent introduction for anyone intimidated by maths and a good refresher for those who haven't touched on the topic in years.
I recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, non-technical primer - and refresher, 9 Oct. 2004
AlisonC (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've now "done" stats as part of two separate undergraduate psychology courses and one post-graduate one. I read this book before I started and I still keep coming back to it.
It doesn't replace the texts that tell you how to carry out the calculations and apply them to a specific discipline, but it is excellent for explaining the fundamentals, and for reminding you what it is that you're trying to achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars I concur this is a brilliant book, no question about that, 5 Feb. 2010
H. A. Adams (UK) - See all my reviews
If you want to understand statistics this is the BEST book I have come across which takes the reader on a clear and illuminating journey. It covers all the underlying principles which it is essential to understand if you are to make any sense of statistics, if you are not from a quantitative/mathmatical/statistical backround. So many other books fail completely to communicate these foundation principles, and I have read several, when I did my degree, my masters and the early stages of my doctorate. Throughout these stages in my life I struggled greatly with statistics. I knew there was something very important, not overly complex, but essential to be grasped, but which had never been presented to me in a fahion I could register. I was right. If presented as this book has done, statistics is not frightening, not impenetrable, but rather fascinating and hugely powerful. If you want to guard against suffering all the hours of angst that I have endured over the years because teachers, lecturers and other books just could not enable me to see the principles, then invest in this book, read it slowly and you will have a nice life in those stats and research classes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits the ground running, 26 July 2011
I picked this up in a charity shop just as a little guide to help me get back up to speed with basic statistical concepts; although I do have some statistical knowledge, sometimes I just knew formulas without really grasping their significance.

"Statistics Without Tears" assumes no knowledge but a healthy dollop of intelligence and common sense. It gets going at a brisk pace, bustling through measures of central tendency and standard deviation before moving on to more fundamental concepts like generalising from a sample to a population. In only 180-odd paperback pages it manages to cover off a good deal (significance testing, for example) and always avoids any calculations that can't be done either in the reader's head or at worst on the back of an envelope. The emphasis is always on thinking for yourself. I found that it was much easier to visualise and understand some concepts that had previously felt rather woolly. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for students who have little knowledge of statistics., 17 Mar. 2001
I found this little book incredibly helpful for learning about statistics. Compared to other texts, it was very clear and easy to understand. It was a great starter that got me primed to read and understand other, more complicated, texts on statistics

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to statistics, 8 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
I was relieved to find a book that focused on understanding the concepts of statistics, rather than the maths. The book covers most of the basic tests that are needed for statistical analysis and is a good primer for more advanced topics. No mathematical knowledge is necessary, which is great for a non-mathematician like me! I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be handed out to all students when they start stats, 16 May 2002
By A Customer
Absolutely brilliant - the first stats book I have ever enjoyed reading - and given I have a Maths degree and a masters in Social Science, I've been made to read a few. And it actually made sense. Simple, clear language, good examples, well structured and a good grounding in a lot of important concepts. A must-have for all stats students - I just wish there was a follow on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for the innumerate, 21 Oct. 2007
Mr. L. Baker (Cowes, Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
I'm totally innumerate - I'm not proud of it though. There are calculations in this book, but just enough to give you an understanding of the concepts. Unlike "Statistics for Dummies" which has quite a lot of calculations and a lot of unecessary filler, this book is succinct and easily understood. The only downside is the font and the layout are little dated, but that doesn't detract from it's readability. Plus, because it is a small book, it's easy to carry around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold Dust with out Gilt (Guilt)?, 21 Oct. 2013
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Of all the course books I had at college this was the best investment of the lot.

This was back in 1986 on a Diploma of Higher Education Course leading to a BA HONS or BEd (Hons)and covered the ecconomics aspect.

Why?

It is an easy introduction to how statistics work that anyone with a resonable reading age can understand and what is more undertsand well.
It is designed for the non mathematicians to get an understanding of the subect in an easy and non threatening manner.

This books has stood the test of time in that it is still being used today.
It is that good.

1000s of students had sworn by this book and if you want an easy to undertand slim volume that explains well then this is the book for you.

I can still remember the chapters and their explanations 35 odd years later so the subject realy did sink in.