4.0 out of 5 stars one of the classics of analtical writing, 6 Mar. 2011
Lucinda Stern (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home is Where We Start from: Essays by a Psychoanalyst (Paperback)
This book is one of the essentials for those studying counselling and psychotherapy. It is best read after an introduction to Winnicott - I particularly like Adam Phillips's 'Winnicott' and Gomez's 'Object Relations' for this. The book is formed out of a series of lectures given by Winnicott.

Sadly it does not include such gems as 'Hate in the counter-transference', or parts of his work with 'the Piggle'. It does however contain work around the 'false self' and the initial formation of the infant ego, and the 'value of depression', and I found these chapters helpful in my studies and in my work.

I have only read the chapter immediately relevent to me. Whilst Winnicot writes well, I do find reading him slightly soporific. This book is best read with a pencil to hand to highlight the salient points.

As well as containing some of Winncott's psychoanalytical thought this volume also contains a section on society, which looks at, amonsgt other things feminism and democracy. The work also contains some of Winncotts' work on delinquency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Jun. 2014
A great help, just what i needed to get started, had great results in exams

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book. The more you look the more you ..., 1 July 2015
Great book. The more you look the more you see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 May 2015
very happy with it

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Sept. 2014
very good

Home is Where We Start from: Essays by a Psychoanalyst
Home is Where We Start from: Essays by a Psychoanalyst by D.W Winnicott (Paperback - 29 Nov. 1990)