5.0 out of 5 stars a really easy read
Published on 1 Jun 2005 by v harvey

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
As a psychology undergraduate interested in pursuing a career as a psychologist I thought this book would be helpful to me in understanding some of the methods used in psychotherapy. I found it an good read and the stories fairly entertaining however I did feel that the author too often mentioned countertransference and what he was gaining from the experiences with each...
Published on 27 Dec 2006 by Ms. L. Richens

5.0 out of 5 stars a really easy read, 1 Jun 2005
v harvey "vanessa912" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy (Penguin Psychology) (Paperback)
If you like reading case histories, then this is the book for you. It is a series of case histories with Irvin Yaloms thoughts included as part of the narrative. It tells you what happened, what he was thinking while it happened, what he was aiming for with his responses and where he occasionally went wrong! As a trainee counsellor, I found this a very refreshing and honest read. I also found it useful as a loose guide for hints and tips. It may not be an ideal practical skills manual, but it was entertaining, thought provoking and a wonderful insight to existentialism. Like one of the other reviewers, it was on my required reading list for my course, and also like that reviewer, it is the only one I picked up and read cover to cover within a few days - it really made me care about the clients he wrote about and I wanted to see what happened to them - luckily Irvin Yalom tells you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 31 Dec 1999
By A Customer
Only once in a while do you come across a book -- in a shop, library, or friend's collection -- and find that, within just a few lines, it's prose jumps out at you from the page, haunting you, until you posess and devour it for yourself. This is such a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Nov 2006
Mrs. B. Cassidy "book-bunnie" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by my tutor because i was having difficulty understanding existential counselling, not anymore!

Yalom writes honestly and beautifully about the client/counsellor relationship.

He is able to perfectly describe the therapeutic process each client goes through as well as being honest about the feelings each client envokes in himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for trainee counsellors, 17 Feb 2001
Siobhan O'brien (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
what can I say, I have been training as a counsellor for three years and this is the first book which was on the college book list that I could not put down. The other books on the list are still unread in my bookcase. Though reading Yalom I now understand existentialism . It was wonderful, very easy to read. the book was delivered on Thursday and I finished it on Friday, which is amazing for me as I live in a household of 4 young children. Buy it tommorrow, I'm going to buy more copies for all my friends as I promised them they could read mine when I had finished with it but I'm afraid that I won't get it back so they will have to have their own copy. If anyone knows of an address where I can write to Irvin Yalom let me know. By the way I have just ordered the rest of his books

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & Engaging, 3 Jan 2007
V. E. Hull "Chick's Views" (England) - See all my reviews
Love's Executioner is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was engaging, interesting and I couldn't put it down. I read the entire book in two days. I also found it helpful in highlighting the therapeutic relationship, which students of psychotherapy will find helpful. Overall an excellent book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic account of psychotherapy in action, 19 Feb 2000
By A Customer
For anyone who is training as a therapist or counsellor, undergoing therapy, or thinking of doing so, this book is a must-read. It describes case studies in absorbing detail, but it is also peppered with psychotherapeutic insights, so much so that it serves as a training manual for the trainee therapist. A brilliant work of psychology and literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stories of therapy where the psychiatrist is not God, 19 May 2008
Having read most of Yalom's other books, I expected this to be an insightful and instructive read. And so it proved. Yalom's ten 'cases' are recounted with gentleness, caring and consideration. The author does not cast himself in the role of the psychiatrist-God who has all the answers but as a person with likes and dislikes, with successes and failures, someone whose best intentions at times backfire and who can hit the spot with some of his patients through sheer accident. He treats his patients with consideration and respect without romanticizing the despair and anxiety he faces in his work. The book offers an interesting counter-part to Freud's classic case studies, which evoked the detective story genre as the psychoanalyst seeks to put together the clues offered him/her by the patient. Here too there is suspense. But the answers come from unexpected, sometimes accidental, quarters. Yet, each and every one of these cases provides a meaningful story with a beginning, a middle and, always, a satisfying end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A soft, deep touch, to the human soul., 17 Aug 1999
By A Customer
In the last 10 years I read a lot about psychotherapy and most of the time I learned something new and useful. However, most often, the author would try to "sell you" his truth, his method as something truly superior to all the others. His method should be present in everybody's life like the water on our planet. Instead Dr. Yalom's book is full of stimulating doubts. The question we should ask ourselves to get our answers and live to the fullest. It's an honest, warm book

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells you what therapy is about, 7 Feb 2009
E. Wong (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a great book! If you've wondered what the difference is between psychotherapy and counselling (even people in the field are not that sure), this book will give you some insight. If you're doing therapy and are discouraged or thinking 'am I wasting my time?' or 'is my job actually worth doing?', this is the book to read!

It describes what it is like to be human and how we seek to make our existence meaningful. Couldn't put the book down (metaphorically).

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a great read, 12 Oct 2005
I picked this up more by accident than intent. I am not a therapist or similar merely an ordinary person with an interest in psychology.
This is so accessible and human that anyone can read it and gain something from it. The sincerity together with an understanding of human failings - his patients and his own - make it a joy to read.

Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy (Penguin Psychology)
Used & New from: 0.01