Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2011
I have been into maths for 14 years now and I wish I had have read this book before I went to uni.Firstly, lets state the obvious, this book doesn't tell you what you must do to solve all mathematical problems because that would obviously imply all mathematical problems have core similarities which of course they don't. What this book does give you through the use of examples and the prose of Polya, who was a teaching GENIUS, is guidance on how you can become, through a combination of practice, character(yes your character as well as how you feel affects your success to solve problems, duh, this is an aspect in success of problem solving that is totally ignored in modern mathematical education), common sense, intelligence, back ground knowledge, perseverance and the skilled application of his heuristic list a killer problem solver. Seriously, if your on a maths course at uni and you integrate this book and this man into your mathematical education you WILL become a vastly better problem solver. When you finish this READ HIS OTHER BOOKS.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2001
If ever I get stuck trying to approach a novel problem, I dip into Polya. His heuristic method has much wider applicability than just mathematics.
Buy this book for any young person who shows an interest in mathematics. I feel it will contribute to their mathematical development
on 22 March 2000
I have had a love affair with Mathematics for over forty-five years. This little book was one of the first books to awaken that interest - my edition on my bookshelf is dated 1957!
George Polya had the reputation of a very great teacher and inspirer of students of mathematics as well as making original contributions of his own. I recommend it to any young person (or anyone)as an excellent introduction to mathematical thinking.
on 3 September 2011
I thought I would buy this book after seeing it reviewed on a Japanese mathmatics program on TV . I found the contents difficult to read not being a higher maths candidate myself. How ever after trying to digest the words of wisdom in the theory of solving problems I had to admit it is only suitable for those amongst us who have a higher maths certificae than myself.very much higher ! The authur G.Polya was an aclaimed world wide mathematician, so if you are in his league then the book is worth reading ..TR
on 2 June 2013
If you're looking for a book that gives you a framework with which you can begin to systematically approach problem solving, this is it. But in the end, its still over to you to put in the effort to try the method, work with it, absorb it and finally make it second nature. Well worth the effort though.
on 16 August 2015
Sadly, I found this book quite dull, and didn't finish it (very unusual for me). In principle, it should be excellent, but he spent a lot of time stating the obvious, and labouring the point with long drawn-out examples.

Shame, as it looked like an excellent book, but wasn't.
on 26 March 2016
The maths element was probably out of my depth of field; however, the principles used as excellent as seen in most approaches to problem solving.
on 20 June 2016
Quality book how to solve problems.
on 14 February 2015