on 1 December 2011
VI digs deep in the murky world of Chicago South Side politics and big business sharp practice. All her tenacity and powers of detection are required to uncover the necessary truths and achieve some measure of justice - and once again her personal safety and that of close associates is at risk. Really good story-telling.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
VINE VOICEon 29 May 2009
V.I. Warshawski is a Chicago based female detective investigating a straightforward murder which leads into eco-warrior territory. Ms Paretsky creates an interesting lead character but rather overplays her hand. Hence she is stubborn and pig-headed, drinks slugs of Black Label whisky from the bottle, ferociously loyal to family, merrily punches people in the face and shoots people with her Smith & Wesson. (Why is it that American authors never have 'a gun' and instead we get endless details of make,calibre and ammunition?)

The real disaster is the ending of this novel which is, literally, incredible. As this is the first review I won't give it away.

Have not seen the well-known Kathleen Turner film so can't comment but if you want to save yourself a lot of time then the entire plot is superbly condensed into one paragraph on page 266. Save yourself the time and trouble,read the paragraph and move on to another book.

This is not a bad read it's just routine. There are nice short chapters which might make it a good read whilst commuting.(N.B. This is the UK version of the American 'Blood Shot'. Don't be confused as it is the exact same novel with a different title).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again