Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2013
This is a great story, based in the history around the 18th century. Fascinating period in history. Story is all around themes of slavery, power and lack of power and commerce, social and gendered conventions and attitudes of the time. The book takes a little while to get going, but from half way through I couldn't put it down.
on 7 January 2012
I wanted to reread this book because I had just finished Unwin's latest, 'The Quality of Mercy'. I enjoyed and admired 'Sacred Hunger' when it came out, but reading the two books now impressed me even more. Golding's 'Rites of Passage' is brilliant but these Unwins really are as good as, if not better, in some ways. Superb.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2015
Very good
on 6 September 2013
This is a brilliant sequel to Barry Unsworth's earlier novel. Brilliantly writing and story telling. Highly recommended to everyone who likes a good read.
on 31 May 2013
brought this for my sister as she was offline for a time so I can not give a feedback
sister's comment was it is an excellent read.
on 18 March 2015
Good
on 1 September 2011
I expected a new item, but the one I got was not as I expected. When I was asked to review the items I bought, I described my disappointment with the "Sacred Hunger."The other items were OK. I was also dissatisfied with the packaging (2 parcels, instead of one). My complaint was considered. Then, I got my money back. I can still read the book! In fact, I am reading it now, and it's fascinating!Unbelievable but real. I am sure I will buy more books on the Amazon. Thank you!
on 10 February 2013
I found this book difficult to get into. There was far too many passages that were not essential to the story. As I got into the book I started to skip these passages. About two thirds of the way through the book, a significant part of the narrative was almost entirely in pidgin english, not only was this difficult to follow, it certainly did not add to my enjoyment of the book. This book had a decent story but was twice the length it needed to be.
on 29 May 2013
I'm sure it is a good novel, but it didn't catch me at the start and I drifted away from it. I shouldn't be negative about it as I haven't read more than a few pages, so don't be put off.
on 10 December 2000
Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth was a moderate novel. It took well into the 400's to get interesting enough to make myself not want to put it down. Unsworth's discriptiveness makes the novel hard to read, but not as hard as when he starts writing the conversations at the settlement they form in "pidgin" language. This book is definately for someone who is interested in historical events, as it takes place in the 1700's during the slave trade. The characters are hard to relate to, and the chapters are broken apart between two storylines, making the novel hard to follow. Overall, I'd give this novel an average rating because it was well written, but not all that easy to read and not all that interesting.