5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fiction You Cannot Do Without
Barry Unsworth's novel does deserve the Booker Prize that it won. From the moment I picked it up it was impossible to put down. The novel starts with a description of two classes in 18th century England: the working class and the burgeoning mercantile class exemplified by Erasmus Kemp. I particularly like the way Barry Unsworth portrays bawdy tavern speak using its...
Published on 14 Dec 2004 by A. O. P. Akemu

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too many pages away from the plot
Published 21 months ago by edward fraser

4.0 out of 5 stars Stark Unrelenting account of`Man`s Inhumanity to Man`, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
This Novel does not pander to Romance and Trivia.Each and every character is vividly described exposing their strengths and weakness. Harrowing compeilling ,not for the faint hearted a novel you will remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars SACRED HUNGER..By BARRY UNSWORTH, 31 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
I read this book within days of its publication.

Then, stupidly, I did the ONE thing I have always vowed not to do.
Lent my personal copy!!

BUT, I lent it to a dear friend.
And the man expressed his great excitement as he read it.
However, one sad day, my dear friend, suddenly after a bad fall, passed away.
The book, my copy, passed away with him.

I found a used one in a charity shop, and will NEVER lend it...
BUT, another dear friend , in conversation told me she heard what a fine piece of writing it was...
And so I bought for her, a pristine copy of her own..from Amazonnnn!

You see what you've done ?
You succeeded in making 3 people happy.

Unsworth has a gift, of what I call,"silence" in his method of writing.
Silence is a very special instrument of communicating..
and I remember my Father telling me, as I was growing up..
" If you can't say anything more important than silence, say nothing !"

This book holds a lot of 'life' within its covers. I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Kindle Edition)
This is a great story, based in the history around the 18th century. Fascinating period in history. Story is all around themes of slavery, power and lack of power and commerce, social and gendered conventions and attitudes of the time. The book takes a little while to get going, but from half way through I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sequel, 6 Sep 2013
A. J. Gallop (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
This is a brilliant sequel to Barry Unsworth's earlier novel. Brilliantly writing and story telling. Highly recommended to everyone who likes a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars bookworm, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
brought this for my sister as she was offline for a time so I can not give a feedback
sister's comment was it is an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unwin at his considerable best., 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
I wanted to reread this book because I had just finished Unwin's latest, 'The Quality of Mercy'. I enjoyed and admired 'Sacred Hunger' when it came out, but reading the two books now impressed me even more. Golding's 'Rites of Passage' is brilliant but these Unwins really are as good as, if not better, in some ways. Superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Utopian, 8 Aug 2012
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
This historical novel depicts the slave trade in all its horror contrasting it with the elegant life of contemporary English families. I confess to finding the latter rather like Jane Austen and not really captivating. But the slaving is well described. There is none of the folly of Roots where slavers capture Africans. Here it is properly described as the first leg of the Triangular Trade with slaves bartered for English manufactured goods. I confess I was unaware that merchant seamen were press ganged. They were treated little better than the slaves. The only virtue of the brutal Captain Thurso was that he prohibited rape of or fornication with female slaves. The murderous captain is himself murdered in a mutiny. Slaves are enlisted to help the mutineers beach the ship in Florida where slavers and slaves settle together peaceably interbreeding in their own little colony, even sharing the females. This I found unrealistic and utopian. Other reviewers say the author does not moralise about the trade. He does not have to. He merely portrays it as the result of Sacred Hunger, the love of money. His little settlement with them all conversing in pidgin English I found utopian and not easy to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too many pages away from the plot, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Kindle Edition)
I found this book difficult to get into. There was far too many passages that were not essential to the story. As I got into the book I started to skip these passages. About two thirds of the way through the book, a significant part of the narrative was almost entirely in pidgin english, not only was this difficult to follow, it certainly did not add to my enjoyment of the book. This book had a decent story but was twice the length it needed to be.

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't ever get to grips with it., 29 May 2013
J. N. Melone "jomell" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
I'm sure it is a good novel, but it didn't catch me at the start and I drifted away from it. I shouldn't be negative about it as I haven't read more than a few pages, so don't be put off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable but real, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sacred Hunger (Paperback)
I expected a new item, but the one I got was not as I expected. When I was asked to review the items I bought, I described my disappointment with the "Sacred Hunger."The other items were OK. I was also dissatisfied with the packaging (2 parcels, instead of one). My complaint was considered. Then, I got my money back. I can still read the book! In fact, I am reading it now, and it's fascinating!Unbelievable but real. I am sure I will buy more books on the Amazon. Thank you!

Sacred Hunger
Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth (Paperback - 4 Feb 1993)