on 14 February 1999
This book was an excellent read. I am a pre-medical student, and Dr. Konner gave me a realistic view of the medical field and medical school. I have talked with and shadowed doctors, and their sentiments and observations closely match his. His views on what makes a good doctor influenced the way I feel about my future profession. I would recommend this book to any considering a career in medicine.
on 10 January 2011
I liked this account of primarily the third and fourth year of med school. I liked it even more as it contrasted the author's other graduate journey into expertise with the medical apprenticeship into becoming what he terms skilled artisans. There are certainly insights to be gained here for those of us trying to understand why physicians think they are the bees-knees and are they really? I certainly think that the profession of medicine has done a bad job of self-analysis and self-policing. Ignorance is often masked by arrogance and repetitive skills as superior ability and judgment. There are wonderful physicians out there but they are certainly created despite the system of education and training and not because of it.

Other reviewers have accused the author of superficiality as he describes the physical appearance of most characters he encounters. I think this is just his style and his honesty and forthrightness is not distracting to the tale he tells.